[net.space] rescue capability

kwan@smeagol.UUCP (Richard Kwan) (02/20/86)

In <8602181610.AA02089@mitre-bedford.ARPA>, C. Byrnes writes:
>   I'm surprised the US and USSR don't have a treaty that would
> encourage an observation/rescue capability for the first few flights
> of new spacecraft...

I thought that was the point of the Apollo/Soyuz docking exercise
way back when.  Granted, having done it once is different from having
a treaty to ensure active maintanance of that capability.  However,
with multiple orbiters, perhaps we have some home-grown capability to
do the same.

Some questions:
    1.	Does the shuttle orbiter utilize the same docking collar
	specifications as Apollo?
    2.	Was much thought given to the possibility of a stranded shuttle?
	I presume launching a second shuttle was an option, although
	that would mean that a rendevous vehicle is ready to go while
	another is actually sitting on the pad.

--
		Rick Kwan
		JPL Spacecraft Data Systems

>     1.	Does the shuttle orbiter utilize the same docking collar
> 	specifications as Apollo?

No, a shuttle carrying a docking system (none have so far, for lack of
need) would use the international standard docking system, agreed on
between the US and USSR some years ago.	 I believe it's pretty much the
same as the one the Soviets use right now.

>     2. Was much thought given to the possibility of a stranded shuttle?
> 	I presume launching a second shuttle was an option...

That's why the shuttle carries "beach ball" rescue spheres for those
astronauts not fitted for space suits.  You'd need a lot of luck in the
timing, unless launch rate really picks up from the 1985 experience, though.
Right now (ignoring the suspension of launches since the Challenger disaster)
the odds of a second shuttle being ready in time aren't good.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology