[bit.listserv.hellas] Prosfato posting sto sct

rigoutso@ROBROY.NYU.EDU (01/18/90)

Geia sas. Kapoios filos exthes anefere gia ena EllhnoKuprio o opoios esteile
mail sto sct me diafores *erwthseis*. H entupwsh mou einai oti pali mas ksebra-
kwsane oi *geitones* ... Pantws h upothesh deixnei na einai upo ekseliksh gia
thn wra toulaxiston. Parathetw ta keimena pou exoune stalei mexri to prwi ths
18hs Ianouariou kuriws gia tous filous pou den exoune prosbash sto sct kai
perimenw na akousw tis dikes sas apopseis gia to thema.

BTW, o filos pou tha anelambane na metafrasei to arthro tou Spiegel sta Agglika
parakaleitai na riksei enhmerwsh gia to stage sto opoio brisketai h metafrash.

Epishs kapoios, dustuxws den krathsa to mail, eixe steilei munhma sxetika me
TRANSPUTERS. Parakaleitai na epikoinwnhsei mazi mou me proswpiko mail se mia
apo tis dieuthunseis:
		Internet: rigoutso@cs.nyu.edu
		BITNET:rigoutso%robroy@NYUCIMSA
		UUCP: ...!cmcl2!robroy!rigoutso

Isidwros Rigoutsos

From: DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Ioannis Diakos)
Date: 16 Jan 90 19:47 EST
Subject: CYPRUS
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish
Sender: news@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu

I would like to ask all you that are proud to be named Turkish how do you
feel about Cyprus problem. I quess the people in the news are the elite
from the other Turks that I met elsewhere. I like an intellectual Turk
to explain why Turkey attacked a small country like Cyprus. Do not tell me
the arquments of the self proclaimed president of the "Turkisk Cyprus"
because first of all there is no such country.
  All you Turks started shouting of what Bulgaria is doing to your
people and I feel sorry for them. But how did you feel when Turkey
invated Cyprus. Okey, you wanted to bring peace and you showed us
how savages you were. You raped, you killed thousands and your Allah
is telling you not to drink alchochol and like good Muslams you do not.
But your God is telling you to love people not to kill and rape.
After 16 years, Turkey is still in Cyprus and still insisting on 50%
partnership. You Turks are a minority with 18%, how is it possible
to say that 50% of the MPs and the ministers and the officials are
going to be Turks. Then all the Turks are going to be some kind of
officials in Cyprus. First of all I believe and I respect the Turkish
Cypriot of Cyprus. But all the hardliners should be realistic if a vital
solution is to be seek.
   If you want to change the mining of the word Turkish=barbaric,primitive
you guys should do something. We are living in 1990 and no country should
invade and kill and rape. I do not try to say that the Greeks are saint
because we are not but at least Greek doesn't mean barbaric.
   I have not elaborate on the Cyprus problem since I am waiting some
kind of response from all of you first.

P.S. Our respect towards the Turkish minority was at least to let them
be free and for many years the population was roughly 18%. At least we
have done not even 1/100 of what you innocent Turks did to the Greeks
of Turkey and the Armenians. Probable now the Armenians would have been
4-5000000 and you will be lucky to meet an Armenian in Turkey. The same
with the Greeks.
   I feel sympathy for all of you nice Turks that everybody is picking
on you. All the Turks and all the governments are innocent and I think
all the Bulgarians should leave there country, all of them 8 millions
and come to America, and the Bulgaria should belong to the Turkish
Bulgarians. They are 20% I think according to the Turkisk justice
Bulgaria should be renamed"Turkish Repuplic of Northern Bulgaria".
Wake up and look around you. I hope all of you that believe exactly
as the Turkish government you will be paid of what your grandfathers
and fathers did to Armenians, Greeks and Cypriot. The rest of you that
you disagree and believe in democracy and mutual trust I hope Allah
will always be with you.

An open minded Cypriot who likes to see his country united. Both Greek
and Turkish Cypriot to live in harmony. The rest who do not belong to
Cyprus to get there belongings and go alse where to create troubles.

From: dakkus@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Deniz Akkus)
Date: 16 Jan 90 21:11 EST
Subject: Re: CYPRUS
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish

In article <3947@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
(Ioannis Diakos) writes:
>   If you want to change the mining of the word Turkish=barbaric,primitive
>because we are not but at least Greek doesn't mean barbaric.
>Wake up and look around you. I hope all of you that believe exactly
>as the Turkish government you will be paid of what your grandfathers
>and fathers did to Armenians, Greeks and Cypriot.
>An open minded Cypriot who likes to see his country united.

Ever heard of the term "oxymoron"?  Have you read what you posted?  Is
there any reason why any Turk should spend hours trying to tell many
people over and over again that to call somebody barbaric is not quite
what you would call "open minded"?  How do you expect to start a
dialog (assuming this is your purpose) if you start off the way you
do?

I am beginning to get tired of having to explain why I was born
Turkish to millions of Greeks.  If you want a dialog how about a show
of Greek civilization without resorting to calling Turks barbaric?

regards
Deniz Akkus dakkus@caf.mit.edu

From: mucit@cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu)
Date: 16 Jan 90 22:17 EST
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish

(Ioannis Diakos) writes:
>I would like to ask all you that are proud to be named Turkish how do you
>feel about Cyprus problem.

We had as much choice about being Turks as you did about being a Greek.
I'd hate to get philosophical and waste bandwidth but I don't see how pride
is relevant in this issue.

>I quess the people in the news are the elite
>from the other Turks that I met elsewhere.

Where?

>I like an intellectual Turk
>to explain why Turkey attacked a small country like Cyprus. Do not tell me
>the arquments of the self proclaimed president of the "Turkisk Cyprus"
>because first of all there is no such country.

I don't know what you guys were told in "the other side", all I could tell you
was what I heard on "our side" which presumably would parallel what
Mr. Denktas says.  How do you figure that there is no such country though?
Is it because it is not internationally recognised?

>But how did you feel when Turkey
>invated Cyprus. Okey, you wanted to bring peace and you showed us
>how savages you were.

I was a kid back then... And we were told that you people were killing the
Turks there...  And it turns out that the Greek democracy benefitted indirectly
from Turkish military intervention.  I think we also were using our right under
the then valid treaty.

>You raped, you killed thousands and your Allah
>is telling you not to drink alchochol and like good Muslams you do not.
>But your God is telling you to love people not to kill and rape.

There is more to Islam (which means submittance in Arabic BTW, and if you
look at it that way, maybe you are a Muslim (submitter) ?) than that
and I don't see the relevance of religion here.  Remember the crusades?

[stuff deleted]

>   If you want to change the mining of the word Turkish=barbaric,primitive
>you guys should do something.

What do you suggest we do? I don't really care that much about what people
say.  I know I'm no more inherently barbaric than the next person.  Maybe
people who spread such things should quit doing so?

>We are living in 1990 and no country should
>invade and kill and rape.

I don't think there's killing and raping going on in Cyprus right now.
I find it hard to believe that a country could invade another and stay there
for 16 years without being welcome in the first place.  I don't think there
is oppression on the Turkish side in Cyprus.  If two groups of people cannot
live together and they can be goegraphically seperated, then they are much
better off forming seperate autonomous governments.  There is a reason behind
the Turkish military presence in Cyprus: the former system didn't seem to
work.

>P.S. Our respect towards the Turkish minority was at least to let them
>be free and for many years the population was roughly 18%. At least we
>have done not even 1/100 of what you innocent Turks did to the Greeks
>of Turkey and the Armenians.

Without Turkish military intervention, who knows what would have happened?
We did find some mass graves as far as I can remember.  And I think I heard
about some similar claims from the Greek side.  The point here is that
it takes relatively few people to commit atrocities and somewhat more to
prevent them.

>   I feel sympathy for all of you nice Turks that everybody is picking
>on you.

Gee thanks...

>All the Turks and all the governments are innocent and I think
>all the Bulgarians should leave there country, all of them 8 millions
>and come to America, and the Bulgaria should belong to the Turkish
>Bulgarians.

How long did it take you to think this up?

>They are 20% I think according to the Turkisk justice
>Bulgaria should be renamed"Turkish Repuplic of Northern Bulgaria".
>Wake up and look around you.

I have another plan: why don't we unite Greece and Turkey?  Then only
20 % of the population would be Greek and since we are settling everything
by head count Turks would rule...

[stuff deleted]

>An open minded Cypriot who likes to see his country united. Both Greek
>and Turkish Cypriot to live in harmony. The rest who do not belong to
>Cyprus to get there belongings and go alse where to create troubles.

I hope that happens some day.

God bless you...

-B.M.
University of Rochester Computer Science Dept. Rochester NY 14627
mucit@cs.rochester.edu     (please do not use bulent@ee.rochester.edu anymore)

From: ns1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nickolaos Sahinidis)
Date: 16 Jan 90 23:35 EST
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish

Ioanni,

Even if all you claimed the Turks have done to Greeks in
Cyprus are true,  I don't think you can characterize the
whole Turkish nation as barbaric based on the decisions
and the acts of some of them.  If the part can be used
to characterize the total, then everybody on this planet
is barbarian.  Cool down a bit.

An astonished Greek,

Nikos Sahinidis, CMU

From: DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Ioannis Diakos)
Date: 17 Jan 90 00:33 EST
Subject: CYPRUS (AND TO NIKOS SAHINIDIS)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish
Sender: news@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu

AMAZINGLY ENOUGH A GREEK GUY TOLD ME TO COOL OFF!!! HEY ARE YOU REALLY
GREEK? DO YOU REALLY UNTERSTAND WHAT DOES IT MEAN WAR. ARE YOU GOING TO
COOL OFF IF YOUR MOTHER, AND 3 SISTERS WERE RAPED IN FRONT OF YOUR
VARY EYES IN THE AGE OF 11 YEARS OLD. THEN YOUR MOTHER, YOUR GRANDMOTHER,
YOUR 3 SISTER , ONE BROTHER AND YOUR FATHER WERE KILLED INFRONT OF YOUR
FUCKING EYES. HOW ABOUT ESCAPING WITH 3 BULLETS IN YOUR BACK BECAUSE
THE TURKS WERE TOO DRUNK TO REALIZE THAT YOU ESCAPE WITH YOUR LITTLE
BROTHER. HOW ABOUT, BEING RAISED BY YOUR AUNT. HOW ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION
WAS FINANCED BY BOTHOSAKIS (A GREEK MILLIONER) WHO FELT SORRY FOR YOU.
SO DO NOT TELL ME TO COOL OFF. BECAUSE EVEN THAT I DO NOT HATE ALL THE
TURKS. WHY SHOULD I? BUT DO NOT TELL ME TO LOVE THE KILLERS AND DO NOT
TELL ME TO COOL OFF. WHEN YOUR LIFE IS GOING TO BE FUCK UP LIKE MINE
THEN YOU CAN TALK AGAIN.

AS FAR AS THE OTHER ANSWER I GOT FROM A GUY WHO WAS A CHILD AND HEARED
STORIES I WOULD LIKE TO INFORM HIM THAT I DID HEAR STORIES. I LIVE THE
FUCKING STORIES. MAY BE WE DID BAD THINGS ALSO AS GREEKS BUT AT LEAST
ARE NOT STORIES.
YOU TOLD ME ABOUT THE FACT THAT SINCE THE TURKS COULDN'T LIVE AND
MINGLE WITH THE GREEKS THEY DECIDED TO FORM THEIR OWN COUNTRY. ARE YOU
THINKING AND THEN WRITING OR THE OPPOSITE. ANYBODY WHO IS NOT
SATISFY IN A COUNTRY FORMS HIS OWN COUNTRY? HOW ABOUT THE KURDS, THE
ARMENIANS AND THE GREEKS IN TURKEY? DID THEY FORM THEIR OWN GOVERNMENT?
OR THE TURKISH GOVERNMENT KILLED THEM?
ANOTHER POINT (????) THAT YOU MADE IS THAT THERE ARE TWO COUNTRIES IN
CYPRUS EVENTHOUGH ONE IS NOT RECOGNISE BY ANYBODY. OFCOURSE THERE IS
ONE COUNTRY IN CYPRUS AND THIS IS CYPRUS. IF ANYBODY DOESN'T FEEL
LIKE MINGLE WITH ALL THE REST, HE/SHE SHOULD GET HIS/HER BELONGINGS
AND GO ELSEWHERE. IF A GREEK CYPRIOT DOESN'T LIKE IT HE SHOULD GO PROBABLY
TO GREECE TO "COOL OFF" AND IF A TURKISH COUNTERPART DOESN'T LIKE IT
HE SHOULD GO TO TURKEY.
ANY COUNTRY THAT OCCUPY ANOTHER COUNTRY IS A BARBARIC COUNTRY. WHY SHOULD
WE HAVE WAR AND OCCUPATION. WHY SHOULDN'T WE GREEK AND TURKS OF CYPRUS
WORK TOGETHER TO UNIFY OUR COUNTRY. ANYBODY WHO IS AGAINST THAT AND CREATE
A PROBLEM WE TOGETHER SHOULD FIND A WAY TO MAKE HIM CHANGE HIS MIND OR
GO ELSEWHERE AS I MENTIONED ABOVE.
I DO NOT FEEL SATISFACTION OF CALLING TURKEY AS BARBARIC BUT YOU SEE
IT IS NOT ME THAT IS USING THIS TERM. HOW ABOUT FINDING A SOLUTION TO
THE CYPRUS PROBLEM AS A BEGINNING OF CHANGE IMAGE.
I THINK AND THE HISTORY IS GOING TO PROVE IT, TURKEY INVASION IN CYPRUS
WAS A MISTAKE ALSO THE JUNTA WAS A MISTAKE. IN THE SHORT RUN TURKEY
PAID THE PRIZE OF INVADING TO A SMALL COUNTRY. IN THE LONG RUN SHOULD
PAY MORE BUT IT SEEMS YOUR POLITICIANS DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THIS.
DENKTASH IS A PION AND ONE DAY HE IS GOING TO COLLAPSE LIKE CUSHESKU.
HE PAID OF WHAT HE DID IN CYPRUS. WHY??
WELL FIRST OF ALL HIS SON WAS KILLED BY THE TURKISK ARMY (WELL AN ACCIDENT!)
PROBABLY BECAUSE HE WAS A FINE MAN WHO I RESPECTED ABOUT HIS IDEAS. THEN
MR DENKTASH DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE OF STAYING IN CYPRUS IF A SOLUTION IS
GOING TO BE FOUND. WHY??
WELL HOW ABOUT IF YOU LIVE IN A COUNTRY OF 800,000 AND 700,000 HATED YOU.
WELL PROBABLY HE SHOULD JOIN NORIEGA.
DENKTASH THE PRESIDENT OF NO COUNTRY. HOW ABOUT TURKEY TRY TO FIND HIM
A COUNTRY, OR RATHER CREATE HIM A COUNTRY IN TURKEY SO HE CAN RULE LIKE
A VEZIR OS PASAS.
I LIVED IN CYPRUS AND I HAVE SEEN AND TALKED WITH MANY TURKS AROUND
THE WORLD. IN CYPRUS WE DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM OF RELIGION. I THINK
THE TURKISH CYPRIOT RESPECT OUR RELIGION AND WE RESPECT THEIR RELIGION.
TWHAT IT COMES TO, IS A FEW PEOPLE WHO CREATE THE CYPRUS PROBLEM.

From: dakkus@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Deniz Akkus)
Date: 17 Jan 90 02:18 EST
Subject: Re: CYPRUS (AND TO NIKOS SAHINIDIS)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish

In article <3949@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
(Ioannis Diakos) writes:
>AMAZINGLY ENOUGH A GREEK GUY TOLD ME TO COOL OFF!!! HEY ARE YOU REALLY
>GREEK?

Amazingly enough, not everybody goes around as an "open minded
Cypriot" when they are not.

>DO YOU REALLY UNTERSTAND WHAT DOES IT MEAN WAR. ARE YOU GOING TO
>COOL OFF IF YOUR MOTHER, AND 3 SISTERS WERE RAPED IN FRONT OF YOUR
>VARY EYES IN THE AGE OF 11 YEARS OLD. THEN YOUR MOTHER, YOUR GRANDMOTHER,
>YOUR 3 SISTER , ONE BROTHER AND YOUR FATHER WERE KILLED INFRONT OF YOUR
>FUCKING EYES. HOW ABOUT ESCAPING WITH 3 BULLETS IN YOUR BACK BECAUSE
>THE TURKS WERE TOO DRUNK TO REALIZE THAT YOU ESCAPE WITH YOUR LITTLE
>BROTHER. HOW ABOUT, BEING RAISED BY YOUR AUNT. HOW ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION
>WAS FINANCED BY BOTHOSAKIS (A GREEK MILLIONER) WHO FELT SORRY FOR YOU.

I am sorry for what happened to you.  But neither I nor most of the
Turks on the net are personally responsible for it.  I will not try to
answer your claims, or post stuff on what was happening to Cypriot
Turks at that time.  To do so I believe would be disrespectful for
your personal suffering.

However, even this does not give you or anybody else, Greek or
otherwise, the right to classify Turks as barbaric.  Or demand that
Turks explain themselves.  What would you like me to explain?  My
people have suffered too, and the last time Greece and Turkey were at
war (yes Cyprus does not count as war between Greece and Turkey) it
was *my* hometown that was occupied, burnt, etc etc.  I was born
Turkish, I did not demand that it be so.  None of us did.

I believe that Turkey did have a legal right to intervene in Cyprus,
especially after the coup designed to eventually unite Cyprus and
Greece.  Turkey's right to set up a different government, occupy as
much of the land as they did, and keep up the division -- these are
issues that could be discussed in a less emotionally involved forum.

>SO DO NOT TELL ME TO COOL OFF. BECAUSE EVEN THAT I DO NOT HATE ALL THE
>TURKS. WHY SHOULD I? BUT DO NOT TELL ME TO LOVE THE KILLERS AND DO NOT

Are you sure?  Classifying people as barbaric is quite strong
terminology.  I do not believe that Turks are barbaric, and I refuse
to "show that we are civilized" as it has been demanded time and time
again.

>ANOTHER POINT (????) THAT YOU MADE IS THAT THERE ARE TWO COUNTRIES IN
>CYPRUS EVENTHOUGH ONE IS NOT RECOGNISE BY ANYBODY. OFCOURSE THERE IS
>ONE COUNTRY IN CYPRUS AND THIS IS CYPRUS. IF ANYBODY DOESN'T FEEL
>LIKE MINGLE WITH ALL THE REST, HE/SHE SHOULD GET HIS/HER BELONGINGS
>AND GO ELSEWHERE. IF A GREEK CYPRIOT DOESN'T LIKE IT HE SHOULD GO PROBABLY
>TO GREECE TO "COOL OFF" AND IF A TURKISH COUNTERPART DOESN'T LIKE IT
>HE SHOULD GO TO TURKEY.

Why was there a coup then in Cyprus to join Greece?

>ANY COUNTRY THAT OCCUPY ANOTHER COUNTRY IS A BARBARIC COUNTRY.

Well, there goes the world, with the possible exception of Eskimos.

>WE HAVE WAR AND OCCUPATION. WHY SHOULDN'T WE GREEK AND TURKS OF CYPRUS
>WORK TOGETHER TO UNIFY OUR COUNTRY.

That I agree with.  I think Cyprus should not have two governments.

>I DO NOT FEEL SATISFACTION OF CALLING TURKEY AS BARBARIC BUT YOU SEE
>IT IS NOT ME THAT IS USING THIS TERM.

Excuse me, I was not aware that someone else had used your account to
post your former article.  On a less sarcastic note, I think you are
trying to imply that the "world" thinks Turks are barbaric.  I beg to
differ.

>HOW ABOUT FINDING A SOLUTION TO
>THE CYPRUS PROBLEM AS A BEGINNING OF CHANGE IMAGE.

How about trying to actively avoid emotional epithets as a beginning?

At the risk of being repetitive, I am not trying to belittle your
suffering.  However, your suffering does not give ample cause to
accuse all Turks, or to make it seem as if Turks were the only people
engaging in warfare or occupation of neighborly countries.

I sincerely hope the Cyprus problem does get resolved one day.

From: mariou@ut-emx.UUCP (Mariou Barr)
Date: 17 Jan 90 15:01 EST
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish

I fully agree with your opinion.  There are some
very nice Turkish chaps out there.

Mariou Barr

From: DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Ioannis Diakos)
Date: 17 Jan 90 17:03 EST
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish
Sender: news@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu

Answer to Deniz Akkus or to any person, Turkish or not who believes
that the coup in 1974 to join Greece was done by the majority of the
Cypriot!!!
 I would like to inform all of you that I disagreed with the coup
and the vast majority of the Cypriots. I would say about 90% of the
Cypriot strongly disagreed. May be 1% got involved and 9% approved.
This wasn't a reason to continue occupy my country.
  Because I am sure your public media or your education system
failed to explained you that the Cypriot (Greeks) DO NOT WANT TO JOIN
Greece in becoming one country. CAN you understand that the vast majority
of the Cypriots want independent country and I am one of them. The name of
my country is CYPRUS not Greece not anything else.
  What I want is not to accuse all the Turkish nation or people. I want
to accuse the people who are responsible for my personal sufferings and my
country's sufferings. THESE TURKS ARE BARBARIC AND PRIMITIVES and any
other word more strongly than barbaric. I never and I will never accuse
all the Turks that are barbaric because I haven't being in Turkey
to judge. Anybody who feels that I call names at him, he needs to make
some thinking. If he approves what happen to a small country and
continue to approve it then I am afraid he is barbaric. Because the
word barbaric according to the Longman dictionary expain exactly
the behaviour of the Turkish forces and the 1974 government of Turkey.
(i.e. very cruel). Actually it was more than very cruel.
I do understand that was a reason that Turkey invaded but why Turkey
didn't try to bring justice to the island. How about like America
invasion in Panama? How about the Turk army not to rape, avoid killing
what about the 2000 missing people. How about trying to find the
responsible of the coup and restore peace. This is acceptable behaviour
because Turkey is a big country compare to Cyprus (the same with US Vs
Panama). But you see the American brought justice in Panama and help
the Panaminian people. Why Turkey didn't do the same if she was
concerned about Cyprus?
 Cyprus will live because, we the people, want to live.
How about getting all the invasion troops with all the rest of the armies
and let us live our lives. People who killed and raped will be punish,
and it doesn't matter from what country. We do not want killers and rapists
in our country, we do not want thieves in our country. Our country, is
not to be divided. Cyprus is ONE country, INDEPENTENT country.
All the armies in Cyprus and the people that do not have any bussiness
in Cyprus should get their belongings and go elsewhere.

OPENED-MINDED CYPRIOT who is concerned about his country.

From: boztas@nunki.usc.edu (Serdar Boztas)
Date: 17 Jan 90 19:41 EST
Newsgroups: soc.culture.turkish
Sender: news@chaph.usc.edu

In article <3957@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> DIAKOS@rcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
(Ioannis Diakos) writes:

> I would like to inform all of you that I disagreed with the coup
>and the vast majority of the Cypriots. I would say about 90% of the
>Cypriot strongly disagreed. May be 1% got involved and 9% approved.

I would agree with you on this, since the Turkish Cypriots did not
approve of the 74 coup;

It is very unfortunately very difficult to argue that the Cyprus problem
started in 1974, as your article may seem to suggest...

(i) Greek demands for Enosis are very old.
(ii) Turkish demands for Taksim (Partition) are also very old.
(iii) In both cases, the majority of the people (Greek Cypriots and Turkish
Cypriots respectively) did not strongly disagree with these causes,
especially since the demands were expressed in fiery nationalistic
language.
(iv) Therefore, supporters of these demands got the upper hand.
(v) When the Republic of Cyprus was formed, Archbishop Makarios repeatedly
stated (as president of the Republic) that this was a victory on the way
to Enosis.
(vi) In 1963, Makarios gave his demands to amend the constitution, which
would do away with the Turkish vice presidential veto power, among other
things.
(vii) This was not accepted and intercommunal troubles started.
(viii) Between 1963-1974 Turkish Cypriots lived under encirclement, they
were not given any of the benefits of citizenship, they were isolated
and lived on direct aid from Turkey.
(ix) Of course it could be argued that they were a breakaway minority
and did not deserve services, but that only made them more dependent
on Turkey.
(x) The Greek Cypriot government was of the opinion that this situation
could continue indefinitely and that since the world recognized them as
the legitimate government, the problem would "settle itself" in Archbishop
Makarios' famous words.
(xi) Unfortunately, for the Greek Cypriots, the coup accelerated this gradual
process and Turkey intervened.
(xii) I think that the 1960 constitution was workable at the time, but
was not successfull since neither community's leadership really wanted to
implement it.

>I do understand that was a reason that Turkey invaded but why Turkey
>didn't try to bring justice to the island. How about like America
>invasion in Panama?

My friend, I cannot see how you are against Turkey in Cyprus but
think Americans brought justice to Panama...

>All the armies in Cyprus and the people that do not have any business
>in Cyprus should get their belongings and go elsewhere.

The first illegal army after 1960 republic was the Greek Cypriot National
Guard, which was formed in spite of the 1960 constitution. And that is once
again unfortunate for us all...

Sincerely,

Serdar Boztas

PS: Please reply in calmer language and we can discuss and see our differences,
and similarities.