[net.space] Live on TV

KFL@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU ("Keith F. Lynch") (02/22/86)

    From: pur-ee!ecn-pc!wdm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Tex)

    >        7 brave humans died on the Challenger; we all respect their
    >        courage, but some of us are wondering why you have to die live
    >        on TV to raise the conscience of a nation.

       If I recall correctly, the Apollo One Crew did not die "live on TV," and
       the conscience of the nation was still raised.

  Neither did the Challenger crew.  The launch was not covered live on
any broadcast TV network.
								...Keith

ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (02/24/86)

> > > some of us are wondering why you have to die live on TV
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the Apollo One Crew did not die "live on TV,"
>
> Neither did the Challenger crew.  The launch was not covered live on
> any broadcast TV network.

But it was carried by CNN (I believe).  Broadcast TV is not the be-all and
end-all of TV.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl
					(or ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl)

mrlguest@PUR-EE.UUCP (Mike Young) (02/25/86)

In article <[MC.LCS.MIT.EDU].827198.860222.KFL> you write:

>    From: pur-ee!ecn-pc!wdm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Tex)
>
>    >        7 brave humans died on the Challenger; we all respect their
>    >        courage, but some of us are wondering why you have to die live
>    >        on TV to raise the conscience of a nation.
>
>       If I recall correctly, the Apollo One Crew did not die "live on TV," and
>       the conscience of the nation was still raised.
>
>  Neither did the Challenger crew.  The launch was not covered live on
>any broadcast TV network.
>								...Keith

You may not consider it a "broadcast network", but I did see the
launch live on CNN.

jkw@lanl.ARPA (Jay Wooten) (02/26/86)

> > If I recall correctly, the Apollo One Crew did not die "live on TV,"
>
> Neither did the Challenger crew.  The launch was not covered live on
> any broadcast TV network.

I watched it live on the CNN (Cable News Network).  CBS, NBC, and ABC were
too busy with soap operas &/or game shows...

	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA