[net.space] Soviet permanently manned station.

FYS-TS@FINHUT.BITNET (02/22/86)

Two nights back I was watching our local news which reported of the
latest soviet achievement, the launch of their PERMANENT MANNED
STATION, named 'Peace'(Mir).

I would be glad to read some comments and info on this, all I know
is that the station is called a third generation version by the
soviets and it will form the central core of a larger entity. It
appears to be equipped with several(4-6, I reckon) docking ports
which can probably be used to attach specific expansion modules of
Kosmos type to the core and also Progress supply vehicles as well
as Souyz manned spacecraft. According to our news, the station will
indeed be manned permanently.

My first impression was, that the launch was a logical continuation
of the soviet program and the slow but definite development of the
the soviet shuttle(s,?) fits well into the picture.

As mentioned, if there is someone reading the net, who knows more
about this, I'd be glad to learn more.

What are the current plans concerning the Hubble telescope? Any
chance, that it would be launched this year?

Are there any comprehensive material available on these TAV's? Some
type of review would be nice. If someone has some references,
they would be most welcome.

Greetings from northern Europe,

Tero Siili,
Helsinki University of Technology, Finland

pavo@LORAL.UUCP (james mees) (02/25/86)

watch the next issue of aviation
week (if you can get it), because it will no doubt as usual contain
more technical details than one is likely to get out of the 'popular
media'.  if you are interested in the technical details of space and
how/what/why we're doing there, this magazine is an absolute requirement.

		jim

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (02/26/86)

>What are the current plans concerning the Hubble telescope? Any
>chance, that it would be launched this year?

	Aviation Week and Space tech. reported that NASA hopes to
	keep the Hubble telescope as near to schedule as possible. That
	announcement occured before the decision to redesign the SRB
	seals was announce, which will probably take around a year.

		Greetings from Northern USA (Minnesota)

--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center

spock@iham1.UUCP (Ed Weiss) (02/27/86)

In article <562@mmm.UUCP>, allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) writes:
> >What are the current plans concerning the Hubble telescope? Any
> >chance, that it would be launched this year?
>
> 	Aviation Week and Space tech. reported that NASA hopes to
> 	keep the Hubble telescope as near to schedule as possible. That
> 	announcement occured before the decision to redesign the SRB
> 	seals was announce, which will probably take around a year.
>
> 		Greetings from Northern USA (Minnesota)
>

> --
> 	Kurt W. Allen
> 	3M Center
> 	ihnp4!mmm!allen

There was an announcement that the SRB seals would be redesigned?  I didn't
think anything of this sort would be decided until the inquiry is finished.
Anyone know any details.
--

					Ed Weiss
					ihnp4!iham1!spock