[net.space] GAMEBRAINS trivia.

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (02/22/86)

        5.  What was the world's costliest program error ?.

                 A:  A missing hyphen in the navigation
		     program for the first fly-by of the
		     planet venus caused the destruction
		     of an $ 18,000,000 rocket.

   I believe that the mistake was not a missing hyphen, but a period which
should have been a comma.  It was in the FORTRAN statement similar to:

   DO 10 I=1.3    => should have been     DO 10 I=1,3

John.

Question: Is John Van Zandt correct, or is GAMEBRAINS tm. right ?.

				    BIG DAVE.
--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.           /    USUAL   \
sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!miller                         \ DISCLAIMER /

kenyon@nmtvax.UUCP (Rob Kenyon -A stranger in a stranger land) (02/24/86)

In article <> miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) writes:

>        5.  What was the world's costliest program error ?.
>
>   I believe that the mistake was not a missing hyphen, but a period which
>should have been a comma.  It was in the FORTRAN statement similar to:
>
>   DO 10 I=1.3    => should have been     DO 10 I=1,3
>John.
>
>Question: Is John Van Zandt correct, or is GAMEBRAINS tm. right ?.

I have heard from multiple sources that it was the old "period for
a comma" trick.  Too bad $18M was lost because someone fell for it.

--

Robert Kenyon                                p /
...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!kenyon                /

You know how that rabbit feels, going under your speeding wheels...

silber@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/28/86)

John is correct, insofar as I know.  I've seen the example he presents in
three classes at two universities, but as of yet not in print.  I doubt
that it was a missing hyphen since most of these programs start out in
FORTRAN, and I can't see any point to a hyphen in any sort of program.