[net.space] Slightly nasty reply to flip anti-space message, bear with me please

REM@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Elton Maas) (02/28/86)

B> Date: 23 Feb 86 13:58:30 GMT
B> From: brahms!gsmith@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Gene Ward Smith)
B> Subject: Long-Term Viability
B> No matter where we lived, we would be vulnerable.

You obviously didn't listen to the original argument when it was
presented years ago (see some book by Asimov I think on size of
various disasters; anybody recall the name? also see archives of SPACE)
Here it is again: True any single point of life is somewhat as
vulnerable as any other single point. But the purpose in getting into
space isn't to simply move to a point in space and pull up roots from
Earth. The purpose is to spread throughout a wide volume so that a
disaster big enough to destroy all life on Earth is just to small to
destroy all life throughout a vast array of space colonies. Even
having a teensy life in space, in addition to life on Earth, is better
than either alone, because there are modes of disaster that affect one
or the other but not both. But largescale life in space is much better
than being stuck on this itty bitty Earth speck. (Compared to a single
human being, Earth is humungous. Compared the to the disaster we can
create with one thermonuclear war, Earth is a single point in space.)
Remember that it's very easy to kill a single ant, by stepping on it,
but difficult to kill that colony that is dispersed underground that
keeps sending ants one by one into your kitchen. You would have to
spend a lifetime stepping on ants one by one and still you'd never get
them all. If life were dispersed throughout the universe, we could
have thernuclear wars every year and still not stamp out all those
colonies. Thus getting into space on a large scale is a good survival
strategy. Sure there are bigger disasters that can get whole clumps of
colonies in space, but with enough colonies over a large enough
volume, the only disaster that can get them all is the total
destrution of the whole universe, which won't happen for a very long
time if our current theories of cosmology are even approximately correct.

B> A large, space-going cephalopod could come along and eat the whole planet.
B> Get serious (pun intended) Sirius isn't going to blow up. Why don't you
B> learn some Astronomy if you like space so much? It is very interesting
B> stuff.

Why don't you learn some Astronomy. (Sorry, just retaliating; I could
slightly wrong too, so please anyone who knows better please do
correct any errors I make.) Sirius *is* going to blow up, go supernova
probably, in about 10 million years, long before our Sun goes
red-giant. But probably Sirius and the Sun will have drifted far away
by then. More dangerous are Betelguese and Antares, either of which
could go supernova within the next 1000 years, before they drift too far away.

>Well, we actually don't have very much time at all - 100 years, 200 at the
B> Oh no! An emergency! Call an ambulence!

Are you trying to be an asshole here? Come on, this isn't an
emergency, like within 3 minutes the Earth will die, and nobody said
it was, so what the hell are you trying to get at? Given that it will
take us 50 or 100 years to get fully developed space habitat, we'd
better get working soon if we have only 100 years. Instead of looking
only at emergencies (if it doesn't need to be done this very minute,
then don't make any plans at all, keep putting it off), how about
looking at longrange plans too? If we wait until we have only a week
left to get into space, we aren't going to have enough time. Look at
the 9 years it took just to get a few astronauts on the moon, and an
additional 12 years to get the very first flight of the shuttle. We
have to continue working year by year, not say "well, it doesn't have
to be done yet so let's wait longer". (Ad hominum remark: do you wait
until April 15 before even looking at your income tax forms?)

>Ecotopia can't support five billion people.  Maybe one billion.  That
>means four billion people must die - which is about fifty times more than
>have died in all wars so far combined.
B> And space colonization, even if successful, would not prevent it. Birth
B> control might.

Not clear. If people on Earth are offered a choice, do it the old way
having as many children on Earth as they want, with not enough food
for them, so most will die, or do it a new way, have one child on
Earth and as many as they want in space, with the latter having
abundant room to live and abundant energy and materials for growing
abundant food, we may be able to have birth control on Earth without
people who use that birth control basically dying out by not having
any children anywhere. We may prevent overpopulation of Earth without
simply doing genocide by birth-control on the present Earth population.

B> I'm confused -- do you have a high faith in scientific and technical
B> advancement, or a very low one? It seems you adopt either point of view
B> to suit your convenience.

He's saying that 6E9 people on Earth requires high-tech, which in turn
requires either cheap energy on Earth (read fossil fuels, which can't
last more than 100-200 years) or cheap energy in space (which can last
at least 5 billion years around this star and longer if we move behond).

B> Oooh --- it sounds so easy! We'll just roll out to the stars (THATS not
B> hard) and live forever. Why do I find it strange to think that if you have
B> just proven it impossible to do on the earth, it should be so easy somewhere
B> else?

Because there isn't enough sunlight falling on this teensy itty bitty
speck of planet we call Earth, whereas there's immense sunlight total
emitted by the Sun that we could collect and use if we went out there
and collected it. Work out the trigonometry yourself. The Earth is
8,000 miles in diameter, located 93,000,000 miles from the Sun. What
fraction of the solid angle is occupied by the Earth? I think it's
something like one part in a billion. If solar energy striking Earth
can provide food for 1 billion people (the other 5 billion die of
starvation, and the 1 billion must maintain zero population growt),
total solar energy can provide food for 1,000,000,000 billion people
(6 billion we have now plus 999,999,994 more billion as our population
grows. It's the nine orders of magnitude more energy out there, just
for the Sun, not counting all the 100 billion other stars in the
galaxy, and the billions of other galaxies, that makes longterm life
possible in space and impossible except for the lucky few survivors on Earth.

B> Why is there so much unmitigated bullbleep on net.space?

Come on, the above isn't bull bleep (except for your remarks; sorry
for ad hominum, just retaliating). There are good solid reasons for
getting to space if we want to survive long.

B> Is this some kind of obscure religious cult I haven't heard about?

No, it's just our desire to survive tied with our understanding of our
current situation and of the prognosis based on current scientific
theories. Unless and until science says the Sun isn't getting warmer
or won't go red-giant and will burn forever via some magic
perpetual-motion machine or God's intervention or somesuch. I don't
believe that possible, so I'll stick with current theory that the Sun
won't go on much longer than 5-10 billion years further. If you choose
to ignore science and believe some unsupported view, I'd say it is you
who is following some religious cult.

B> I thought space colonization was a possibility technology could offer
B> us -- if we used our knowledge and planning ability.

It is. That's the point of this mailing list / digest, first decide
what we want to do, long range goals and tasks toward those goals,
then decide how to get those tasks accomplished. So we've been
debating why go into space and on what scale, and how best to get into space.

B> Some of you seem to think you are going to wish yourself to Epsilon
B> Eridani. "If you wish upon a star ... "

I am not aware of anyone on this list who claims just wishing will get
us there. We have been doing a lot more than wishing; brainstorming,
petitioning Congress and President, and some of us are even helping
finance private venture.