[net.space] Shuttle Ditching

acourt@BBN-VAX.ARPA ("Anthony J. Courtemanche") (02/04/86)

Although, as said earlier, it is doubtful whether the Shuttle could
survive the deceleration of landing in the Atlantic, it is interesting
to think about what the possible abort scenarios would entail.

First, the media (& NASA photos) say that an abnormal plume eminated
from the right SRB at least 15 seconds before the deadly external tank
explosion.  Is 15 seconds long enough to initiate an abort?  At least
three events would have to occur:

1) Ground crew interprets visual data, determines that the situation is
deadly, and tells shuttle commander to abort.  My guess is that this
could take up a very significant part of 15 seconds.

2) Shuttle commander receives abort message and initiates abort
sequence.  I don't know how well the Shuttle pilots are trained to
respond to such frightening news, but I would guess that the commander
wouldn't freeze for more than say 0.5 seconds.   Now as far as
initiating the abort sequence, I've heard that this consists of pulling
a lever and pressing a button.  If this is true, I would guess that
this could be done within a second.

3) Shuttle breaks away from external tank soon enough to survive the
explosion.  I have no idea how different the trajectories of the
shuttle and the ET/SRB assembly can be made to be during an abort.
I would guess that in any case, to survive the explosion, the
ET/SRB-Shuttle separation would have to be at least a thousand feet or
so.  Even at this distance, any shock wave effects could still be
dangerous.

Now, even if all the above could be done in time and the Shuttle remain
intact, could the Shuttle obtain an aerodynamic trajectory before
hitting the ocean?  I don't remember the altitude that the Shuttle was
at when the explosion happened, but the Shuttle was on it's back and
this is not a graceful way to start gliding.  Also, correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't think that any sort of engines are available to help
re-orient the orbiter during the abort (could the de-orbit engines be used?).
Hence, only the control surfaces on the Shuttle could be used to
establish a gliding (as opposed to plummeting) trajectory.

To me, it seems doubtful that an abort could have succeeded in saving
the lives of 7 astronauts or the orbiter.

I am welcome to have any comments on my above reasoning, and I'd like
to know if, in light of what I've said above, there was any reasonable
chance for a safe abort.

--Anthony Courtemanche
ac%mit-oz@mit-mc

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/04/86)

In article <8602032227.AA10998@s1-b.arpa> ac%mit-oz@MIT-MC.ARPA writes:
>3) Shuttle breaks away from external tank soon enough to survive the
>explosion.  I have no idea how different the trajectories of the
>shuttle and the ET/SRB assembly can be made to be during an abort.
>I would guess that in any case, to survive the explosion, the
>ET/SRB-Shuttle separation would have to be at least a thousand feet or
>so.  Even at this distance, any shock wave effects could still be
>dangerous.

If the explosion was caused by an SRB burning into the ET, as seems
likely from the latest news, then presumably the SRBs would travel
separately from the ET, and there would be no explosion.

But I've read on the nets that the ejection cannot occur until the
SRBs have burned out anyway, so the question is moot.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (02/05/86)

> 1) Ground crew interprets visual data, determines that the situation is
> deadly, and tells shuttle commander to abort.  My guess is that this
> could take up a very significant part of 15 seconds.

Navy pilots launching from aircraft carriers are trained to respond
instantly to the command "Punch out" from the air boss.  I have seen
films of pilots being given this command.  The air boss has maybe
one to three seconds immediately after launch to identify an
emergency, and then give the command.

> Now, even if all the above could be done in time and the Shuttle remain
> intact, could the Shuttle obtain an aerodynamic trajectory before
> hitting the ocean?

Challenger was about nine miles up and moving nearly 2000 mph.  At this
speed, even the thin air at that height provides adequate control
for aerodynamic surfaces to orient a large aircraft.

	-Steve Miller ihnp4!bambi!steve

> To me, it seems doubtful that an abort could have succeeded in saving
> the lives of 7 astronauts or the orbiter.

I believe NASA has said that the split-off-from-tank-and-SRBs-and-ditch
abort possibility, which theoretically existed on the first few test
flights but hasn't been included in recent missions, would be "better
than certain death, but not by much".
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (02/06/86)

In article <8602032227.AA10998@s1-b.arpa> ac%mit-oz@MIT-MC.ARPA writes:

>respond to such frightening news, but I would guess that the commander
>wouldn't freeze for more than say 0.5 seconds.   Now as far as

This type of action is exactly what is practised time and time again
in the simulaters. I really doubt that the pilot in command is going
to 'freeze'. Test pilots are trained to react. Listen to cockpit tapes
of planes going down and listen to what the crew say while the plane
is destroying itself.

>could the Shuttle obtain an aerodynamic trajectory before
>hitting the ocean?  I don't remember the altitude that the Shuttle was
>at when the explosion happened, but the Shuttle was on it's back and
>this is not a graceful way to start gliding.  Also, correct me if I'm
>wrong, but I don't think that any sort of engines are available to help
>re-orient the orbiter during the abort (could the de-orbit engines be used?).
>Hence, only the control surfaces on the Shuttle could be used to
>establish a gliding (as opposed to plummeting) trajectory.

The shuttle was appx 50,000 feet in the air, and traveling at over 2000
miles an hour. A large part of this vecter was straight up, so their
altitude would continue to increase after seperation from the srb's and main
tank. They would probably require the use of the attitude rockets to point
the shuttle in the right direction, as at 50,000+ feet the control
surfaces will not have a great deal of effectiveness. Given that I think
that it would have been able to enter a glide. They might have trouble
dumping onboard fuel before impact, but they should have several minutes
before impacting the ocean.

Since the landing speed of the shuttle is (I think) around 150 - 200
kts (fairly high for a plane that size ) the impact with the ocean could
be a problem, but with a carefull pilot the shuttle should be able to
maintain structural integrity. Whether the shuttle would float afterwords,
or even be able to skip on top of the water after impact instead of
diving into the water and 'flying' down to a depth of several hundred feet
below the surface (as happens to many fighter aircraft) I don't know.

All in all I don't think their chances would have been too bad. But the
shuttle would probably have needed to be mostly rebuilt, or even scrapped.
Aircraft that have been overstressed are often never quite the same
afterword, and NASA probably doesnt have any mechanism for getting
a shuttle out of the water and onto a ship quickly. The electronics
would surely suffer.

--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/06/86)

Speaking from a position of relative ignorance, I would like to raise
the following points about shuttle aborts:

   The SRBs cannot be turned off, therefore the suttle would have to
   survive the exhaust.

   Suppose the shuttle decelerates from drag at 1G, and the SRBs can
   power the tank away at 3G.  Then at least 4 seconds are required to
   let the shuttle reach your 1000 foot separation (which I think is
   generous, but not *safe*.

   There should be no trouble attaining proper glide characteristics
   aerodynamically.  Being miles up, at Mach 3, an intact shuttle could
   do 'loops', or whatever.  Getting to a specific point is made more
   difficult by time consumed in rolling over, etc, but I suspect that
   only a very limited window avoids the ocean.

   Survival in a ditching may be determined by the payload (better glide
   if nothing else).  I see lots of problems in trying to empty the
   cargo bay.

   To detach from the ET without igniting fuel will require sealing the
   lines at the ET, waiting for them to drain, and then blowing the
   shuttle free.  This may require a significant amount of your
   remaining allotment.

hester@ICSE.UCI.EDU (Jim Hester) (02/12/86)

Re time to abort: if the ground crew decides it should be done, they
could do it themselves, while (perhaps) simultaneously advising the
shuttle commander (he should be able to figure it out for himself
pretty quickly, though).  I'm not advocating stepping on his toes this
way, but it is one possibility that could save a lot of the delays you
mentioned.  As for the physical problems of getting the shuttle far
enough away to survive the explosion, that seems a more difficult
problem.  One thing to remember is that the shuttle is traveling with a
fair speed relative to the air around it so it's manuevering flaps
would have a reasonable effect.  Assuming part of the abort program is
to set everything the shuttle has on traveling "up" (relative to the
shuttle; i.e., away from the booster), I would expect the shuttle to
seperate quickly (recall, the separation speed is is better than
linear, since the shuttle will continue to deviate it's course away).
I don't know if it is good enough in this case, but consider that a bit
academic.  The point is, the shuttle should be ready for the fastest
ditch it can make within the engineering and cost constraints it has.
We cannot predict the time needed to escape in future mishaps; we can
only be ready for the shortest time we can handle.  Saying "It would
have worked" or "it would not have worked" on this particular emergency
is certainly of interest, but we must remember that a conclusion of "it
would not have worked" on this mission is no reason to not prepare for
it in the future.

Re time needed after seperation for shuttle to attain aerodynamic
trajectory:  Same point: The shuttle already has velocity relative to
the air around it, so the fact that it is "upside down" relative to the
Earth is not major.  As long as it is travelling "forward" through the
air it can manuever, and thus can roll to orient with the earth.  I
would expect an abort operation to entail: Everything on the shuttle
automatically set to make the shuttle go "up" relative to itself, to
get away from the booster fastest.  At some point, the shuttle will be
traveling roughly perpendicular to the booster, parallel to Earth's
surface, and upside-down relative to Earth.  If it has enough velocity
left, it can roll and end up gliding.  If not, it can continue turning
"up", or, towards the Earth in a dive to get back enough speed to roll
and begin a glide.  The altitude of ditching does not seem so important
to me as the velocity when ditching (of course, they are directly
related).  Also remember that, while ditching, the shuttle will
continue to gain altitude until it is traveling parallel to the
surface.  I'm not a pilot, but everything I've heard leads me to
believe that the good ones don't care much what their orientation is
relative to Earth, as long as they have control of their ship, which is
dependant only on working controls and instruments, and forward motion
relative to the air around them.  Of course, the shuttle is no stunt
plane, but then the pilot is presumably one of the best.

There is always a time early enough in the liftoff where the shuttle
would stall before being able to get into a controled dive, but I
suspect this case was not in that category: the shuttle was moving
relatively fast.

As an afterthought, if the shuttle is equiped with a less efficient
passenger ejection system, all the abort needs to do is get the shuttle
away from the bomb to give time for the passengers to get out of the
shuttle before it crashes.  I have my doubts about this one, but it
might be worth looking into if they determine that the shuttle can't be
safely landed after an abort.

Again, I am neither an engineer nor a pilot, but I would not rule out
the possibility of mechanically quick aborts, and I tend to think that
the shuttle could usually be adequately handled in the case of an
abort, unless it was quite early in the liftoff.  I am by no means sure
of any of this, I am answering more because I am disturbed that you
conclude the opposite on the basis of speculations and opinions which
appear to be no better informed than mine, nor more complete.  Neither
of us has given arguments anywhere near conclusive, so why don't we
just continue to point out this-and-that pro and con and leave asserting
final conclusions to those who think they are qualified?

space@ucbvax.UUCP (02/15/86)

Your article makes good sense to me.
It's important to get back to land (to save the orbiter),
so while a roll maneuver would quickly get the shuttle
right-side-up, a long dive & loop would get it headed back to
the Cape.  Unfortunately, it has a lot of horizontal
speed away from land; the loop might be inefficient in converting
that to the reverse direction.

What we SHOULD have done is launched the thing from Texas
or La to pass OVER the Cape, so that the orbiter could easily glide
straight to Canaveral after an abort.
Hindsight sure is 20-20.... mike k

kwan@smeagol.UUCP (Richard Kwan) (02/20/86)

> What we SHOULD have done is launched the thing from Texas
> or La to pass OVER the Cape, so that the orbiter could easily glide
> straight to Canaveral after an abort.
> Hindsight sure is 20-20.... mike k

Texas or La?  Louisiana?  I hope that wasn't Los Angeles.
         ^^
--
		Rick Kwan
		JPL Spacecraft Data Systems

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (02/22/86)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

According to "The Shuttle Operators Manual," any shuttle abort involves
a firing of the OMS engines, both to maintain altitude and airspeed and
to dsipose of dangerous tetrazine fuel.  It seems to me that with the
aeordynamic control due to an airspeed over mach 1 plus the extra push
from the OMS engines, an abort should be possible during the boost phase
of flight.  The only reason I can think of that it wouldn't be possible
is that the g-forces during the maneuver are outside the limitations of
the orbiter's structural strength, much like one shouldn't do outside
loops in a DC-10.

More reliable information about this would be much appreciated.
--

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/25/86)

> What we SHOULD have done is launched the thing from Texas
> or La to pass OVER the Cape, so that the orbiter could easily glide
> straight to Canaveral after an abort.
> Hindsight sure is 20-20.... mike k

Yes, that would also make it easier to recover all the debris.  The
large wing section would be removed from the school building in Dallas,
the lower fuselage section from the housing development in Phoenix, the
left SRB pieces from the slum in Mexico, and the right SRB from downtown
Flagstaff.

paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) (02/26/86)

NASA and its contractors have consistently maintained that a ditching
of the shuttle during the SRB boost phase of the flight is impossible
to perform survivably.  The most believable reasons which I have heard
on the net and in the media go something like this:

Very early in the launch, detatching and landing the shuttle is impossible
simply because there is insufficient altitiude.  By the time there is
sufficient altitude for anything other that a nosedive, the spacecraft is
travelling at several times the speed of sound through atmosphere which
is still quite dense.  If the shuttle were to detach from the fuel tank
at this point, it would not veer away gracefully as we might imagine, but
would flip over backwards and its wings (at least) would be torn up by the
excessive aerodynamic force.  I don't think that such a detatchment is
possible until the spacecraft is quite high, which is after the SRB's
are jettisoned.

I've also read that jettisoning the SRB's while they're still burning
full force is near impossible because their exhaust would explode the
fuel tank or frazzle the shuttle as they raced ahead of the spacecraft.
Is this true?  I certainly don't trust everything I read or hear, and
I post this not as truth but as a concentrate of recent publications.
Confirmations or corrections are appreciated.  Also, could any of these
ditching modes be made safe?

------------

Paul O'Shaughnessy
Axiom Technology Corp.
Newton, Massachusetts

'Home of the AT100'

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (02/28/86)

In article <172@axiom.UUCP> paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) writes:
>NASA and its contractors have consistently maintained that a ditching
>of the shuttle during the SRB boost phase of the flight is impossible
>to perform survivably.

There are a few more scenarios that I have been made aware of recently, that
would preclude shuttle survival in case of a SRB failure. These are

1) If one of the SRB's fails to ignite at launch. As it is impossible
to stop the other SRB the shuttle would pinwheel uncontrollably, with
no possibility of survival.

2) The shuttle lands at 190 knots. It is not expected to maintain structural
integrity ditching in the ocean at this speed.
--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center