[bitnet.swl-l] TV and FM radio DXing

cep4478@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU> (01/11/90)

>>    2.1)  How are commercial (broadcast) TV signals polarized and
>>          how does this affect the choices?
>
>Most are horizontally polarized.  If they are using circular polarization,
>which can reduce ghosts, they make a big deal about it (It costs them more),
>and special antennas are usually available locally.

I have two questions:

        - to transmit omni-directional horizontally-polarized,
                are they using some kind of 'halo' design?

        - What kind of antenna would radiate a circularly-polarized
                yet omnidirectional pattern?  I've never seen
                any circular designs other than twists and dishes.

Chris N2JGW
cep4478@ultb.isc.rit.edu

Steve Lamont <spl@MCNC.ORG> (01/11/90)

In article <1899@ultb.isc.rit.edu> cep4478@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.E. Piggott)
 writes:
>       - to transmit omni-directional horizontally-polarized,
>               are they using some kind of 'halo' design?

Most TV transmitting antennae are of the "turnstile" variety -- or at least
they were a few years ago when I concerned myself with those sorts of thing.
There are usually four elements, spaced around the feedline.  They look more
ore less like this from the side:

                                ------|------
                                \     |     /
                                 \----|----/
                                  \   |   /
                                   +--|--+
                                  /   |   \
                                 /----|----\
                                /     |     \
                                ------|------

I wouldn't say that they are completely omni-directional -- they have pretty
lumpy patterns -- they look like a clover leaf, if I remember correctly.

The horizontal and vertical polarization come from the current on the
horizontal and more or less vertical conductors.

>       - What kind of antenna would radiate a circularly-polarized
>               yet omnidirectional pattern?  I've never seen
>               any circular designs other than twists and dishes.

There are some antenna systems which PURPORT to emit an omnidirectional pattern
(the FCC, in fact, MANDATES that all FM and, if I recall, all TV to be
omnidirectional), although numerical analysis as well as actual measurement
indicate that no such beast exists.  There are some strange animals which
look like more or less like a scissors jack that are fed in all sorts of
bizarre ways -- but again, they aren't anywhere close to omnidirectional.
Often, an antenna has to be tuned by placing reflectors and other such garbage
on the supporting structure.  There are FCC rules and regulations which
control exactly how much tweaking that can be done.

                                                        spl (the p stands for
                                                        personally, the only
                                                        TV I know is a
                                                        transvestite...)
--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy  (919) 248-1120          EMail:  spl@ncsc.org
NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709