[bitnet.swl-l] vhf/uhf receivers

adam@RUTGERS.EDU> (01/12/90)

Are there any good VHF/UHF receivers with a wide >full< coverage (like,
say, 30-1300 MHz uninterrupted), all modes, that don't cost more than
about $500 or $600?

Has anyone had any experience with the Yaesu FRG-9600?  At $550
discounted, this looks something like what I'm looking for.  I wish its
coverage (60-905) were a little greater, just for completeness' sake
(for example, I'd like to have the 50Mhz and 1.2GHz bands).  If the Yaesu
were the best in its class, though, I'd definitely consider it.  I like
its small size too, since I intend to travel with this.

If you know good or bad things about the Yaesu receiver or about a
better one in its price class I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

73's
Cat
====
Adam (Cat) Jacobs Kucznetsov                     adam@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Dept. of Linguistics (now defunct)               adam@columbia.edu
Columbia University                              ajuus@cuvmb.BITNET

mn@BBN.COM> (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan12.073314.13649@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
 adam@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Adam J. Kucznetsov) writes:
>Are there any good VHF/UHF receivers with a wide >full< coverage (like,
>say, 30-1300 MHz uninterrupted), all modes, that don't cost more than
>about $500 or $600?
>
>Has anyone had any experience with the Yaesu FRG-9600?  At $550
>discounted, this looks something like what I'm looking for.  I wish its
>coverage (60-905) were a little greater, just for completeness' sake
>(for example, I'd like to have the 50Mhz and 1.2GHz bands).  If the Yaesu
>were the best in its class, though, I'd definitely consider it.  I like
>its small size too, since I intend to travel with this.
>
>If you know good or bad things about the Yaesu receiver or about a
>better one in its price class I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

  I've been the happy owner of an FRG-9600 for almost a year. It's a good
rig. One of the things that drew me to it was the all mode functions;
AM-W, AM-N, FM-W, FM-N, USB and LSB.

  Here in SillyCon Valley there are a *lot* of comms out there that are not
in FM-N which is the only mode most scanners support. Because of that many
services are moving to other modes to avoid eavsdropping.

  It might not be fair to call it a scanner because of the way the user
interface is set up. It's billed as a communications receiver by the maker
which seems more accurate.

  I just got the CAT interface and hacked up a simple controller program for
my Atari ST. Now I have 10,000 memory channels if I need them. The program
also let me tap one key and append the current freq/mode as new log to my
interactive logbook which also serves as the memory channel feeder.
The CAT interface is essential for doing weird things like defining a
custom scan step rate and speeding up the scan rate a bit.

  Ah yes, the scan rate. Compared to just about any other receiver for
VHF/UHF with scanning, it's pitifully slow, about 3 channels per second scan
rate. Kinda slow but you learn to live with it.

  The sensitivity is fine but when compared to the Icom it's not as good
but it only costs about half as much.

  I have still to figure out why the design engineers at Yaseu decided to
limit range from 60 Mhz to about 905. Really dumb but I'm working on a mod
that may get around this shortcoming.

  Having had the chance to try it out alongside of other radios at the
same price range (RZ-1) and less, the choice was obvious; the 9600.

  Another good reason to CAT it is the fact that when you want to change
modes or steps you have to press a button to cycle thru them all to get to
the one you want. Another aspect of the poor hardware user interface.

  The AF scan is a very nice option that will only stop on a signal if it
has audio present. This is great for scanning aero-comms in AM.

  The FM broadcast band picks up many stations that my Marantz stereo
tuner can't even hear and the audio quality is quite good even though I
use an external speaker aimed at my face rather than use the internal
speaker that points upward and diffuses the volume and clarity.

  The supplied whip antenna works ok and is great for a field trip but for
home use in a bottom floor apartment I use a wierd 2 dimensional ground
plane vertical I constructed in 10 minutes and thumb-tacked to the wall
behind the rig. I'm sure if I could mount an outdoor antenna the
performance would be even better. Even still I've logged over 1000 comms
without hardly trying.

  The bottom line, IMHO, is that in terms of bang-for-the buck it's a pretty
good rig.

|  Michael Nowicki   N6LUU      Atari Corp,Sunnyvale CA     /TT/UNIX/X team  |
|............................................................................|
|  char *disclaimer="  Views expressed are my own, not my employer's";       |
|  char *good_quote="  'Yes, I never did' -  Stan Laurel";                   |

kjh@BBN.COM> (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan12.073314.13649@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
 adam@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Adam J. Kucznetsov) writes:
>Are there any good VHF/UHF receivers with a wide >full< coverage (like,
>say, 30-1300 MHz uninterrupted), all modes, that don't cost more than
>about $500 or $600?

Check out the Radio Shack scanner, the PRO-2004 or PRO-2005.

In the rare case that original ideas  Kenneth J. Hendrickson N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.     1709 S. Bonnie Brae, LA, CA 90006
Internet: kjh@usc.edu                 UUCP: ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh