[bitnet.swl-l] The Privacy Issue

dalyb@BBN.COM> (01/10/90)

In article <6030@alvin.mcnc.org>, spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) writes:
> >I wonder why they think "sophisticated" cellular devices are immune from
> >being intercepted, other than the fact that it is against the law??
>
> Cellular phones frequency hop as the user moves from cell to cell.  This makes
> them more difficult to intercept -- at least over the long term.

Difficult -- maybe. Impossible -- NO. This is the point I was trying to make. My
question was ment to be satirical.

I agree with you --

The only way to ensure privacy is to include some form of encryption device on
the cordless or cellular phones.

Brian Daly WB7OML

guhsd000@BBN.COM> (01/11/90)

Cellular Phones---

I, for one, think the law against listenibg to them is a bunch of hogwash.

Why shouldn't the age old rule of "Listen, but keep it to yourself" be
implemented?  I don't see what makes cellular that much different.  Just a
bunch of whining yuppies arguing over who gets the kid this weekend is all
I really ever hear (oops, heard ;) and they should know that if anyone wants to
they can and will listen in.

"The Electromagnetic Spectrum belongs to everybody!"

guhsd000@BBN.COM> (01/11/90)

> digital encryption

I think this be implemented as an option for cellular...and have the FCC
give us our freqs back....

This would be interesting, you would show us how many people truly valued their
privacy instead of just wanting to hide behind lame laws and whining.

gary@UUNET.UU.NET> (01/13/90)

 writes:
> >I wonder why they think "sophisticated" cellular devices are immune from
> >being intercepted, other than the fact that it is against the law??

> [ ...
>     .. ]  So when is some smart cordless phone maker going to start selling a
> phone with a digital encryption chip built in?  [...]

It's already available--a couple of ATT models have encryption built
in. I suspect that the higher price is the primary reason we don't
see more of them. I think the price was in the $400 range, which
most people won't consider worthwhile. Even the dope dealers...
(Well, why do you think they call it dope????)

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)