[bitnet.swl-l] voice-activated tape recorders

parnass@BBN.COM> (01/10/90)

In article <16708@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, bakken@cs.arizona.edu
(Dave Bakken) writes about the CTR-82:

> ....  The voice activation only works for the built-in
> microphone, not the auxiliary or microphone input lines.

Is this true?  It's very difficult to believe.  If true, it differs from
the CTR-75.  This would make the CTR-82 a dud.  It's the voice activation
while connected to a radio that makes a VOX recorder so useful.
Bob Parnass, AJ9S - AT&T Bell Laboratories - att!ihuxz!parnass (708)979-5414

leaf.enet.dec.com@DECWRL.DEC.COM> (01/10/90)

In article <12493@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, parnass@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S)
 writes...
{
{> ....  The voice activation only works for the built-in
{> microphone, not the auxiliary or microphone input lines.
{
{Is this true?  It's very difficult to believe.  If true, it differs from
{the CTR-75.  This would make the CTR-82 a dud.  It's the voice activation
{while connected to a radio that makes a VOX recorder so useful.

   I purchased a CTR-82 recently and found it activates only from the built-in
   microphone and the mic input jack, but not the auxillary jack.  This is
   using a Sony 2010 from the recorder jack and a Bearcat 200XLT from the
   earphone jack.  It works fine this way but I don't understand why plugging
   into the aux jack doesn't activate it also.  The manual indicates it should
   work this way.  Anyone else finding the same on their CTR-82?

 *_______________*_________________________________________*_______KNH1CA_____*
 | Steve Dowman  | Email: s_dowman@leaf.enet.dec.com       | Home:            |
 | d|i|g|i|t|a|l |   -or- s_dowman%leaf.dec@decwrl.dec.com | 145 Coburn Woods |
 | Littleton, MA |   -or- ...!decwrl!leaf.dec.com!s_dowman | Nashua, NH 03063 |
 *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

padraig@THINK.COM> (01/11/90)

In article <7368@shlump.nac.dec.com> s_dowman@leaf.enet.dec.com (Steve Dowman)
 writes:
~In article <12493@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, parnass@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S)
 writes...
~{In article <16708@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, bakken@cs.arizona.edu
~{
~
~   I purchased a CTR-82 recently and found it activates only from the built-in
~   microphone and the mic input jack, but not the auxillary jack.  This is
~   using a Sony 2010 from the recorder jack and a Bearcat 200XLT from the
~   earphone jack.  It works fine this way but I don't understand why plugging
~   into the aux jack doesn't activate it also.  The manual indicates it should
~   work this way.  Anyone else finding the same on their CTR-82?

I bought one but returned it within a few hours. The vox capability didn't
work when the power supply was used, and I sure don't want to be burried in
batteries. [I believe it was, as another poster claimed, the AC hum that
triggered the vox continuously.]

Padraig Houlahan.

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (01/11/90)

 writes:
>    ...[The VOX] works fine this way but I don't understand why plugging
>    into the aux jack doesn't activate it also.  The manual indicates it should
>    work this way.  Anyone else finding the same on their CTR-82?

If the CTR-82 is like the CTR-75, then AUX and MIKE
jacks require different signal levels and the recorder will
behave differently if your radio is not plugged into the
appropriate jack.

The AUX jack requires a higher signal level than the MIKE input.
I find the 2 jack arrangement makes the recorder more flexible
as my radios differ in the audio output levels available at their
TAPE jacks (e.g. the R-7000 and PRO-2004).
Bob Parnass, AJ9S - AT&T Bell Laboratories - att!ihuxz!parnass (708)979-5414

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (01/11/90)

>   I purchased a CTR-82 recently and found it activates only from the built-in
>   microphone and the mic input jack, but not the auxillary jack.  This is
>   using a Sony 2010 from the recorder jack and a Bearcat 200XLT from the
>   earphone jack.  It works fine this way but I don't understand why plugging
>   into the aux jack doesn't activate it also.  The manual indicates it should
>   work this way.  Anyone else finding the same on their CTR-82?
>
> *_______________*_________________________________________*_______KNH1CA_____*
> | Steve Dowman  | Email: s_dowman@leaf.enet.dec.com       | Home:            |
> | d|i|g|i|t|a|l |   -or- s_dowman%leaf.dec@decwrl.dec.com | 145 Coburn Woods |
> | Littleton, MA |   -or- ...!decwrl!leaf.dec.com!s_dowman | Nashua, NH 03063 |
> *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Alright! already. I've seen the parts layout and the AUX jack _IS_ VOX
controlled. The failure to work with some units will probly be traced
to the levels leaving the units being much to low. Maybe some people can't
find the high sensitivity selector.

In article <23114@ut-emx.UUCP> padraig@emx.UUCP (Padraig John Houlahan) writes:
>I bought one but returned it within a few hours. The vox capability didn't
>work when the power supply was used, and I sure don't want to be burried in
>batteries. [I believe it was, as another poster claimed, the AC hum that
>triggered the vox continuously.]
>
>Padraig Houlahan.

What adapter did you use! I use the one my Salesman suggested (after checking
the manual), and haven't had a single problem!

And yes, the VOX does work with the adapter in use.

georgep%uunet.uu.net.uucp@BBN.COM> (01/11/90)

 writes:
+In article <12493@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, parnass@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Bob Parnass, AJ9S)
 writes...
+{In article <16708@megaron.cs.arizona.edu>, bakken@cs.arizona.edu
+{
+
+   I purchased a CTR-82 recently and found it activates only from the built-in
+   microphone and the mic input jack, but not the auxillary jack.  This is
+   using a Sony 2010 from the recorder jack and a Bearcat 200XLT from the
+   earphone jack.  It works fine this way but I don't understand why plugging
+   into the aux jack doesn't activate it also.  The manual indicates it should
+   work this way.  Anyone else finding the same on their CTR-82?
+
I went home last night and verified that my newly purchased CTR-82 does,
in fact, that the VOX works on all three inputs, internal mic, mic, and aux.

Could there be a rash of defective units out there????

geo

henry@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> (01/11/90)

Gary Lee wrote:
->Padraig John Houlahan writes:
->>I bought one but returned it within a few hours. The vox capability didn't
->>work when the power supply was used, and I sure don't want to be burried in
->>batteries.
->
->What adapter did you use! I use the one my Salesman suggested (after checking
->the manual), and haven't had a single problem!

this is my experience also ... no icky hum, the VOX activation works
niftily, etc.

all i need now is a source of cheap cassettes ...

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

bph@CS.BU.EDU> (01/12/90)

 Bakken) writes:
> >>[ I said the RS VOX model doesn't work with any line inputs]
>>Not true!
>
>Oops - I stand corrected.  I was going by what the salesman said.

Leave it to Radio Shyster to un-sell the product...

                                --Blair
                                  "Why couldn't Heath have been
                                   more successful, huh?"

preacher@BBN.COM> (01/14/90)

garylee@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Gary Lee) writes:

|In article <23114@ut-emx.UUCP> padraig@emx.UUCP (Padraig John Houlahan) writes:
|>I bought one but returned it within a few hours. The vox capability didn't
|>work when the power supply was used, and I sure don't want to be burried in
|>batteries. [I believe it was, as another poster claimed, the AC hum that
|>triggered the vox continuously.]
|>
|>Padraig Houlahan.
|
|What adapter did you use! I use the one my Salesman suggested (after checking

|And yes, the VOX does work with the adapter in use.

The radio shack store around here at this time does not have the adapter
needed for this recorder.   But I have found that by using 4.5v instead of
6v the VOX works just fine.  Has anyone else tried this?  Another thing is
the VOX works well with my Sony 2002 shortwave, Bearcat bc 140 scanner, and
of course the pro 34 scanner...

--
Some people too big,              |   mailrus!sharkey!lopez!preacher
Some poeple too small,            |--------------------------------------

phil@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> (01/15/90)

In article <23154@ut-emx.UUCP> padraig@emx.UUCP (Padraig John Houlahan) writes:
|I don't understand this at all. After reading similar reports I went back
|and got another with the suggested power supply. Yes the voice
|activation now works but only if the sound is booming in. The radio

I just got one along with the 6V AC adaptor and it works great for me.
I'm using it with a BC200 also powered by an AC adaptor.

|had to be literally on top of the unit in order to trigger the vox, otherwise
|only a partial - and useless - activation would occur. It may be that the

Did you RTFM?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com          {uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Peace through strength.

Will Martin <wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL> (01/16/90)

>all i need now is a source of cheap cassettes ...

Keep an eye out locally for sales at discount houses or mass-merchandisers
or whatever those type of stores are called these days... The local
(St. Louis) Venture stores had a tape sale two weeks ago in which they
sold 8-packs of TDK D-series C-90's for $7.50, plus the 8-packs
contained a coupon good for a free 2-liter Pepsi. Not only was the basic
price of 8 reasonably-good-quality cassettes for $7.50 (+ tax) an
acceptable price, but, if you actually used the coupon, you can figure
another $1 - $1.29 off (maximum amount the coupon was good for was $1.29,
but 2-liter soda is often on sale for 99 cents).

The last wholesale mail-order buy of cassettes I made was several years
ago, when I bought Sony HF-90's for somewhere around 70-some cents each
in a quantity of 200. The sale price described above is comparable and
buying them at a local dealer gives better warranty and you don't have
to mess with cash COD (which is about the only way you can buy wholesale
if you're not really a business).

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil