[bitnet.swl-l] Questions from a novice

spexet%rsch.wisc.edu@BBN.COM> (01/15/90)

In article <37833@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>joshi@cs.purdue.EDU (Anupam Joshi) writes:
>
>>           2)When I heard DXing programs from some stations
>>           they talked of reception reports in terms of a
>>           sequence of numbers between 1 and 5. What exactly is this
>>           format, and how do you assign these numbers to a transmission ?
>
>Old style radios had what was called an 'S-meter' which was simply a meter
>that showed relative signal strength. Most shortwaves still have some form
>of this, although these days many of them are LED based. Basically, it's a
>rating of the average strength and legibility of the radio signal, going
>from S-1 (very weak, high static, hard to understand) to S-9 (no static,
>pure voice tones, equivalent of listening to a local radio station). This
>helps the broadcaster figure out how well their signal is propogating and
>whether they're able to reach their chosen audiences.

The sequence of numbers referred to here is probably the SINPO code.  It
is a rather well-established and convenient way of indicating reception
quality.  The sequence consists of 5 numbers, in the order S-I-N-P-O:

[S]ignal Strength:      5-excellent
                        4-good
                        3-fair
                        2-poor
                        1-barely audible

[I]nterference          5-nil
                        4-slight
                        3-moderate
                        2-severe
                        1-extreme

[N]oise                 5-nil
                        4-slight
                        3-moderate
                        2-severe
                        1-extreme

[P]ropagation           5-nil
                        4-slight
                        3-moderate
                        2-severe
                        1-extreme

                        This represents the level of propagation disturbances,
                        or fading effects, for this particular station.

[O]verall quality       5-excellent
                        4-good
                        3-fair
                        2-poor
                        1-unusable

I hope this helps.
--
-Dennis R. Spexet II
 UUCP:          rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet

bph@CS.BU.EDU> (01/17/90)

In article <37833@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>joshi@cs.purdue.EDU (Anupam Joshi) writes:
>
>>           1) Is there a difference between SWLing and DXing ? If so, what ?

Well, chuq, since you obviously can't read (the evidence is in
Anupam's original posting, where he specifically asks people to
email him the answers to his questions and not to post) it seems
only fitting that you would have installed your mail-rejector
to prevent you from being asked to read.

Way to uphold the cause of illiteracy in America, chuq.
I hope Apple knows that they allow dysfunctional people
to sully their image with moronic judgmental errors and
infantile reactions to criticism.  If not, I know where
they live, and they soon will.

But here's what you missed:

    From chuq@apple.com Wed Jan 17 13:10:25 1990
    Date: Wed, 17 Jan 90 10:08:40 PST
    From: My Twit Detector <chuq@apple.com>
    Subject: Mailer daemon error: Mail from sender refused.
    Apparently-To: bph@buengc.bu.edu

    ### Notice: this message has been intercepted by Fido, a
    ###    Twit Detector. You have been defined as a Twit,
    ###    and my master refuses to read your mail. If you
    ###    think this was done in error, you do not know
    ###    my master very well. This message is being returned
    ###    to you because my master has better things to do
    ###    with his time than read it.
    ###
    ###    woof woof.
    ###    His obedient servant, Fido, the twit decector.
    ###