[bitnet.swl-l] Icom R-71 vs. Kenwood R-5000: Which is better for what?

megabyte@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> (01/18/90)

While the whole ATS803A vs. Sony 2010 debate was going on, I was
thinking, "What if you had the $850.00?" Both the Icom R-71 and
the Kenwood R-5000 are priced at about $850.00 each from most dealers.
There are some small variations, but mostly it seems these two models
compete head to head in price.

So how do they do in performance?  Which would you buy and why?  From
performance reports, it looks like the Icom is the best for DX'ing,
while the Kenwood seems to be better for program listening.

So, for those of us who can afford it, which is thwe better radio?
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Winchester, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) 667-5203

Ken Greer <kgreer@MCNC.ORG> (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.212143.24657@chinet.chi.il.us> megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us
(Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>While the whole ATS803A vs. Sony 2010 debate was going on, I was
>thinking, "What if you had the $850.00?" Both the Icom R-71 and
>the Kenwood R-5000 are priced at about $850.00 each from most dealers.
>There are some small variations, but mostly it seems these two models
>compete head to head in price.
>
>So how do they do in performance?  Which would you buy and why?  From
>performance reports, it looks like the Icom is the best for DX'ing,
>while the Kenwood seems to be better for program listening.
>
>So, for those of us who can afford it, which is thwe better radio?

  While I don't have the Kenwood to compare to my R71A (who's got that
much money any way?), I am really pleased with the R71A as far as
DX reception.  As I told someone else, both are essentially identical
on paper except the R71A is *supposed* to be much more sensitivite.
Again, without having the Kenwood sitting next to the ICOM, I can't
really say.  The only thing that really stands out in my mind as to
their being different, aside from the sensitivity, is that the ICOM
does not have built in clock(s).  No big loss for me though.  With
several different tuning methods, memories, *good* selectivity,
digital readout, ... and again, the sensitivity, I'm in love.

  I've taken a recent liking to tropical stations lately, and while the
reception on any radio in a "broadcast mode" would be lousy, you have
so many options to improve readability.  You've got several bandwidth's
(6 & 2.3(?) or 2.4 KHz standard) to switch to, or you can play around with
going to lsb/usb or cw mode to help in rejecting adjacent stations.
The notch filter is fair to good in getting rid of het's.  So stations
that normally would sound like garbage, or maybe not even be heard under
qrm, can be pulled out and sound almost perfect as far as readability.
Now all I've got to do is somehow prevent the atmosphere from generating
all that static and miniature lightning bursts and I'll be home free :^).

  Side Note:  I got my first qsl cards in over 15 years this week.  Cards
from R.Sweden and WYFR came on Monday, and a card from Swiss BC Tuesday.
I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas to come, waiting to get home from
work and see what's in the mailbox.

  Gotta go  -  got reception reports to get out, and then when I finish
that I have to actually do some work related work!  :^)

Kim Greer
klg@orion.mc.duke.edu