[bitnet.swl-l] 1990 World Radio TV Handbook

msmith@RUTGERS.EDU> (01/10/90)

I subscribed to the 1989 DOWNLINK.  I found it worthless if you
subscribe to either Pop'Comm or Monitoring Times.

Those magazines come more often, and carry the same information.  In
1989, DOWNLINK looked nice (I guess they straightened out that
problem), but was repeatedly late.  I never got an issue in the month
on the cover, always one month later.

The only useful information was the frequency listing.  However, these
same lists were duplicated in the magazines mentioned above in a more
timely fashion.  The reviews they did during the 1989 season were not
worth the cost.

In other words, I am not subscribing to DOWNLINK this year.

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who

roskos@THINK.COM> (01/18/90)

eric@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Eric Wertz) writes:

>Did anyone out there subscribe to DOWNLINK in 1989?
>What I would like to know is how any of the 1989 DOWNLINK subscribers
>found the production of last year's newsletter.
>Was DOWNLINK any better or more timely in 1989?

I subscribed to DOWNLINK in 1989; I have decided not to renew it next
year.

The information just isn't as good as what you can get on a much more
regular and complete basis from Monitoring Times, or, if you have
particular stations of interest, by writing to the stations for
schedules.

They also wasted a lot of space, in my opinion, giving long (many pages)
lists of relatively esoteric information (e.g., where the transmitter
for each BBC frequency was located).  This information is marginally
interesting, but not the sort of thing one would expect from an
infrequent publication that is supposed to be an update of the WRTH.
I'd really have liked it to have contained "update pages" for WRTH
rather than this very loosely-formatted and often sketchy information.

The review articles tended not to be as good as the ones in WRTH,
either; in particular, I remember an article in one issue which said
basically "we got this interesting software but we don't know where it
came from.  If anybody knows where it came from, let us know, but it
looks like really good software." This kind of information is not too
useful; reminds me too much of Popular Communications.

They are reducing their frequency of publication next year, too.

I realize the above sounds very critical, but I've paid a good bit for
it for two years now, and have tended to be disappointed with the
content of each issue.  It's just not up to the quality of WRTH.

--
Eric Roskos (roskos@CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)