[bitnet.swl-l] 32 favorite frequencies ?

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (01/12/90)

The 32 frequency presets sit idle on my Sony 2010, except for
a few easy picks like the Beeb and a few local stations.  Why?
Well, every time the battery slips loose I lose them all (aargh),
and I don't usually write them down as I discover them.

So here's a contest.  If you had only 32 frequencies to listen
to in the world, what would they be?  Make sure you mention your
location as well as some comments about each channel, I'm sure
this would differ as propogation changes from place to place.

--Ed

roskos@THINK.COM> (01/18/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>So here's a contest.  If you had only 32 frequencies to listen
>to in the world, what would they be?  Make sure you mention your
>location as well as some comments about each channel, I'm sure
>this would differ as propogation changes from place to place.

The frequencies per se change with the propagation conditions, so I don't
know if listing them would be that useful.  But my favorite stations to
listen to are:

        BBC (I liked it better before they "modernized", though)
        WCSN
        VOA
        Deutsche Welle
        RCI/R. Japan (same frequency: Sackville)
        R. Netherlands
        R. RSA/R. Australia (same frequency)

These are listed in order of perference and, in my opinion, in order of
lack of national bias (except I would possibly put WCSN ahead of BBC on
the latter criterion).  The last two lines (last 3 stations) I listen to
mostly because of their local color; R.  Netherland's "Happy Station"
program tends to be interesting because it has been around so long,
although it is kind of old-fashioned in format.

R. Moscow was interesting the last time I listened to it mostly to note
the changes from a few years ago.  R.  Havana ...  well, I won't get
into political debates, but if you listen to it and its format and then
look around a bit, you tend to notice some things.  This is one of the
interesting aspects of shortwave listening, seeing the different
viewpoints and their influence on public opinion and the national media.

Of course, my real favorites are:

        USIA Wireless Files (Tangier)
        NAM (NAVEASTOCEANCEN WEFAX)
        Air Force Air Weather Service (Fax and RTTY)
        TIROS and Meteor Satellites, APT Service

Unfortunately, the USIA Wireless File is hard to receive here due to fading.
I wish I could get a hard copy of it on my desk every morning, and the book
lists on the weekends.

Obviously, the above are my personal opinions.  Yours will no doubt differ.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)