[bitnet.swl-l] Shortwave commercial radio

bill@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU> (01/18/90)

In article <766@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> ge@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) writes:
>remaker@pepsi.amd.com writes:
>>My question is:  On the shortwave worldwide bands, does any country broadcast
>>something like an American "classic rock" broadcast (which can be received in
>>Japan)?
>Most US stations on short wave (specifically excluding Voice Of America,
>a propaganda transmitter for the US governement) peddle religion, not rock
>music. And as rock music is inspired by the devil.....

Actually, last weekend I heard a shortwave station playing religious programs
AND rock music.  And it wasn't religious rock music either-- they were playing
the Rolling Stones and James Taylor, to name two, in blocks of three songs per
artist or group.  They'd play an hour or two of rock followed by an hour or
two of religious programs, and back to rock, and so forth.  Quite unusual for
a religious station.  Anyway, the station's name is KUSW from Salt Lake City,
Utah, USA.  Sorry, but I don't remember the frequency.  Perhaps someone in the
know could post the schedule.

Another shortwave station with rock music is WRNO New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
This is a commercial station, so you have to listen to advertisements.  I
haven't heard it in a while, so I don't know if it's still on the air.  If it
is, does anybody have the schedule?
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

narayan@THINK.COM> (01/18/90)

In article <5683@videovax.tv.tek.com> bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K.
 McFadden) writes:

>Actually, last weekend I heard a shortwave station playing religious programs
>two of religious programs, and back to rock, and so forth.  Quite unusual for
>a religious station.  Anyway, the station's name is KUSW from Salt Lake City,
>Utah, USA.  Sorry, but I don't remember the frequency.  Perhaps someone in the

The frequency is 15650 kHz, and it can be heard in the afternoon pretty strong;
I don't know the timings though. They call themselves "Super Power KUSW"
and churn out "2 million Watts of World Band power". I am surprised to see
many U.S. shortwave stations have religious (specifically Christian programming
regularly). I wonder if their primary source of advertising is from this source.

Sriram Narayan  810446  Texas A&M University     |
INTERNET: narayan@photon.tamu.edu                |     Go Alain Prost!
US Mail: X4 Hensel #K, College Station, TX 77840.|