[bitnet.swl-l] Sangean ATS-803a: clarifications requested

bill@UUNET.UU.NET> (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan7.195831.14375@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S.
 Allbery) writes:
>(1) I have heard from some reports that the Sangean has dual-conversion.
>    Other sources (including what my parents were told...) indicated that it
>    was single-conversion.  Which is it?

Double conversion on AM (150-29999 KHz), single conversion on FM.  Both of your
sources were right; they were just talking about different functions.

>(2) Does it have digital tuning?  This one is less clear, as the descriptions
>    I've received include features that I would expect to be easier to get
>    with digital tuning (frequency memories, in particular)... but I'm told
>    that it's analog tuning.  [I'm not talking about keyboard entry of
>    frequencies, I'm talking about the display.]

It has frequency synthesized PLL tuning in 1 KHz increments for AM, 50 KHz for
FM.  There are five tuning methods: direct keyboard entry, tuning knob
(variable rate depending on speed of turning), up/down buttons, scanning (rate
depends on band), and memory recall (9 memories).  There is an LCD digital
display of the frequency.

The radio has analog tuning in the sense that there is an analog front end,
local oscillator, analog mixer, and analog detector.  It has digital tuning in
the sense that the local oscillator's frequency is digitally controlled.
Subject to interpretation, both sources are again correct.

However, the consensus would say the ATS-803A has digital tuning.  But, as more
and more functions in receivers are done digitally, more confusion will result
when someone says they have a "digital" radio.  Just look at the audio industry
to see how the word digital has been abused to the point of meaninglessness.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

jrs@HPLABS.HPL.HP.COM> (01/13/90)

The Sangean 803A has dual conversion and digital tuning.  The SW specs are as
follows:

Tuning Range (SW)       2300 - 26100 kHZ
1st IF                  55845 kHZ
2nd IF                  450 kHZ (Yes, 450!)
max sens @ 2300 kHZ      8-14 db
max sens @ 15100 kHZ     8-14 db
max sens @ 25600 kHZ     8-14 db
useable sens @ 2300 kHZ  20-26 db
useable sens @ 15100 kHZ 18-24 db
useable sens @ 25600 kHZ 18-24 db
bandwidth 6dB (wide BW)  4-9 kHZ
AGC FOM   @15100kHZ       50db
image rejection @15100kHZ 36db
I.F.  rejection @15100kHZ 50db
Auto Scan Stop Sense      20-26db
SSB/CW (S/N=10db)         -3db-3db

Overall this receiver has good performance and features.  I am very happy with
mine.

John R. Spencer  (jrs@hpesjrs.HP.COM, (303) 229-3271)

  ___                    _ __       ()
 (   >      /           ' )  )      /\
  __/______/_  ____      /--'      /  )  _   _  ____  _. _  __
 / /  (_) / /_/ / <_    /  \ o    /__/__/_)_</_/ / <_(__</_/ (_
<_/                                    /
                                      '

bill@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU> (01/15/90)

In article <9350018@hpfcso.HP.COM> jrs@hpfcso.HP.COM (John Spencer) writes:
>The Sangean 803A has dual conversion and digital tuning.  The SW specs are as
>follows:
>max sens @ 2300 kHZ      8-14 db
(other specs deleted)

8-14 dB with respect to what?  One microvolt?  One femtowatt?
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill
GTE: (503) 627-6920         "The biggest difference between developing a missle
component and a toy is the 'cost constraint.'" -- John Anderson, Engineer, TI

jrs@HPLABS.HPL.HP.COM> (01/17/90)

Good point!  That piece of information is omitted from the manual.  All I can
find concerning the reference level is the T.H.D was measured at 1mV.

roskos@BBN.COM> (01/18/90)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

>(1) I have heard from some reports that the Sangean has dual-conversion.
>    Other sources (including what my parents were told...) indicated that it
>    was single-conversion.  Which is it?

Yes.  It has dual conversion.  I just read it in the specifications last
night.

>(2) Does it have digital tuning?  This one is less clear, as the descriptions
>    I've received include features that I would expect to be easier to get
>    with digital tuning (frequency memories, in particular)... but I'm told
>    that it's analog tuning.  [I'm not talking about keyboard entry of
>    frequencies, I'm talking about the display.]

Yes, it has digital tuning.  There is a dial on the side that you can turn,
but it just generates digital pulses to the microprocessor to cause the
frequency set by the PLL synthesizer to change.  The digital tuning includes
direct entry via the keypad, moving up and down via "up" and "down" keys
(the longer you hold the keys down, the more it skips in each step),
and a "search" function that searches for the next station.  The dial on
the side is sensitive to how fast you turn it -- the faster you turn it,
the more it skips on each step (within a limited range).

The dial on the side, incidentally, is one of the few things I don't
like about the radio...  it has a "lightweight plastic" feel.  The other
things I don't like about it are that the BFO dial is *very* small, and
I can't figure out how to set the seconds on the time of day clock to
synchronize it with WWV.  The manual lists the steps to display the
seconds in the section on setting the clock, but then adds a sentence
that says that the seconds function won't work while it is in
time-setting mode.

The radio is microprocessor-controlled, like most digital-tuning radios
nowadays.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@CS.IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

aem@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan18.144203.24297@IDA.ORG> roskos@IDA.ORG (Eric Roskos) writes:
>The dial on the side, incidentally, is one of the few things I don't
>like about the radio...  it has a "lightweight plastic" feel.  The other

I agree. I suspect that the knob will be the first thing to go bad on
this unit. It has a very cheap feel to it. Probably if it was damped
a little bit, it would have a better feel.

>things I don't like about it are that the BFO dial is *very* small, and

Which makes it harder to quickly tune in SSB..

>I can't figure out how to set the seconds on the time of day clock to
>synchronize it with WWV.  The manual lists the steps to display the
>seconds in the section on setting the clock, but then adds a sentence
>that says that the seconds function won't work while it is in
>time-setting mode.

I gave up. I don't think there really is a way.

aem
--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Sex education classes are like