[bitnet.swl-l] ECPA and SCA

tenney@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> (02/01/90)

In article <1990Jan29.184040.4547@IDA.ORG> roskos@IDA.ORG (Eric Roskos) writes:
>No...  Unfortunately my copy of the ECPA seems to have gotten lost, but
>I remember that the situation with SCA is somewhat strange.  The
>rationale for the ECPA defines SCA broadcasts, then goes on to exempt
>them from ECPA coverage because they are transmitted by a "generally
>accessible" communications medium, or words to that effect.  But in the

Sorry, but the ECPA says "readily accessible to the general public means, with
respect to radio communication, that such communications is *not* ...
carried on a subcarrier or other signal subsidiary to a radio transmission"

In other words, receiving an SCA is technically a violation of the
ECPA, but then it would seem that receiving a STEREO FM signal would
also be a violation if the stereo were a subcarrier or subsidiary
signal -- which it is.

The ECPA strikes again making everything illegal.

Glenn AA6ER