[bitnet.swl-l] Sony-2010 - Noise

nrg@BBN.COM> (02/01/90)

Recently I bought a Sony-2010. I found it's sensitivity no better than
Sony-ICF7601. When I turn it on to tune to 11620khz in the morning (7:30est)
I am getting lot of strange noise. The noise is very  similar to the
one comes out of a big transformer. Also there is lot of static noise.
Our apartment complex is not in the vicinity of any kind of transformers
or any other industries. I tried to use a Radio Shack AC line noise filter.
But it did not serve the purpose. I think the noise/static is being radiated.

This situation persists for 11620, 11820, 9665, 9910, 15335, and 7412khz. Also I
tried to tune to these stations in the early  hours like 3:00EST but
found the situation no better. I bought this radio only for the sake of
tuning to these stations. Does any one have a possible answer for this
agonizing situation.

Narotham Reddy    reddy@attctc.Dallas.TX.US      reddy@nucleus.mi.org

sterling@RUTGERS.EDU> (02/02/90)

In article <1218@nsscb.UUCP> nrg@nsscb.UUCP (G.Narotham Reddy) writes:
> Recently I bought a Sony-2010. I found it's sensitivity no better than
> Sony-ICF7601. When I turn it on to tune to 11620khz in the morning (7:30est)
> I am getting lot of strange noise. The noise is very  similar to the
> one comes out of a big transformer. Also there is lot of static noise.
> Our apartment complex is not in the vicinity of any kind of transformers
> or any other industries. I tried to use a Radio Shack AC line noise filter.
> But it did not serve the purpose. I think the noise/static is being radiated.
>
> This situation persists for 11620, 11820, 9665, 9910, 15335, and 7412khz. Also
> tried to tune to these stations in the early  hours like 3:00EST but
> found the situation no better. I bought this radio only for the sake of
> tuning to these stations. Does any one have a possible answer for this
> agonizing situation.
> --
>
> Narotham Reddy    reddy@attctc.Dallas.TX.US    reddy@nucleus.mi.org

I have a similar situation at my location. 426 Condos all using electric heaters
in my case. Each of these heating units has a thermal relay that controls
preheating the furnace so it doesn't blow cold air when first turned on.
The thermal relays apparently get sluggish with age and start ARCing.

A 5.0KW spark gap transmitter makes a LOT of noise! I've noted the ``signals''
well into the UHF range. ;-( All I can do is pray for warmer weather. ;-)

This is just one of may possibilities ... another ``biggy'' is an arcing
power line/transformer nearby.
 Rick Sterling N2CGI           Commodore Technology Group       (215)-431-9275
 Test Engineering              UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling