[bitnet.swl-l] GMT

"Brian P. McCarty (N9IWP)" <UCSBPM@UWPLATT.EDU> (02/02/90)

not exact quotes
> The BBC will be using it's own time signals rather than those
> provided by Greenwich

Just a note, the Royal Greenwich Observatory has not been in Greenwich
since 1948, when in moved Hurstmonceux. So the actual time signals
for GMT are NOT from Greenwich (though the meridian still goes
through the old observatory). Also, I've heard that GB is
moving to UTC (due to budget cuts). Does anyone know when this
will happen? Does anyone know the EXACT difference btween UTC and GMT?

The information came from the July-August "Sea Frontiers", p 195.

Brian McCarty (N9IWP) in chronophile mode
interenet:UCSBPM@UWPLATT.EDU
bitnet:UCSBPM@UWPLATT

LANG@UNB.CA (02/03/90)

On  Fri, 2 Feb 90 13:02:00 CST  "Brian P. McCarty (N9IWP)"
<UCSBPM@UWPLATT.EDU> writes:

> Just a note, the Royal Greenwich Observatory has not been in Greenwich
> since 1948, when in moved Hurstmonceux. So the actual time signals
> for GMT are NOT from Greenwich (though the meridian still goes
> through the old observatory). Also, I've heard that GB is
> moving to UTC (due to budget cuts). Does anyone know when this
> will happen? Does anyone know the EXACT difference btween UTC and GMT?

A few facts concerning RGO, GMT, and UT:

o Prior to 1948, the observatory at Greenwich (located on a hill back
  from the Thames River with a view of the London Docks) was known as
  the Royal Observatory.
o In 1948, the observatory moved to Herstmonceux Castle in Sussex,
  becoming the Royal Greenwich Observatory (yes, even though it wasn't
  at Greenwich any more!).
o The site at Greenwich became known as the Old Greenwich Observatory
  and the historic buildings and instruments were progressively
  incorporated into the National Maritime Museum, the main buildings
  of which are located at the foot of Observatory Hill, close to the
  river.  Highly recommended for a visit if you're in London!
o Greenwich Mean Time is a time scale based on the apparent motion of
  the "mean" sun with respect to the meridian through the Old Greenwich
  Observatory (zero degrees longitude).  The "mean" sun is used because
  time based on the actual or true apparent motion of the sun doesn't
  "tick" at a constant rate.  The earth's orbit is slightly eccentric
  and the plane of the earth's orbit is inclined with respect to the
  equator (about 23-1/2 degrees) hence at different times of the year
  the sun appears to move faster or slower in the sky.  That's why an
  uncorrected sundial can be "wrong" (if it is supposed to be telling
  mean time) by up to 16 minutes.  So if the mean (i.e. corrected) sun
  is directly over the meridian through Greenwich, it is exactly 12
  noon GMT or 12:00 GMT.  Mean time on selected meridians 15 degrees
  apart is generally known as standard time.  For example, Eastern
  Standard Time (EST) is the mean solar time of the meridian at 75
  degrees W.
o In 1928, the International Astronomical Union recommended that the
  time used in the compilation of astronomical almanacs, essentially
  GMT, be referred to as Universal Time.  The terms "Universal Time"
  and "Universal Day" were introduced at the various conferences in the
  1800's held to set up the standard time system.
o There are actually a couple of variants of UT.  UT as determined by
  actual astronomical observations at a particular observatory is known
  as UT0.  It is affected by the motion of the earth's rotation pole
  with respect to the crust of the earth.  If UT0 is corrected for this
  effect, we get UT1 which is a measure of the true angular orientation
  of the earth in space.  However, because the earth does not spin at
  exactly a constant rate, UT1 is not a uniform time scale.  So rather
  than base our civil time keeping on the rotation of the earth we now
  use Atomic Time, time based on the extremely constant frequency of
  a radio emission from cesium atoms when they change between two
  particular energy states.  The unit of Atomic Time is the atomic      d.
  second.  86,400 atomic seconds define the length of the nominal day.
  But because of the variations in the earth's spin the length of the
  actual day can be shorter or longer than the nominal day of 86,400
  seconds.  The time scale based on the atomic second but corrected
  every now and again to bring it into sync with the earth's rotation
  is known as UTC or Coordinated Universal Time.  The corrections show
  up as the leap seconds put into UTC from time to time - the last one
  being inserted last New Year's Eve.  So, GMT (if corrected for
  variations in the earth's spin) and UTC are for all intents and
  purposes one and the same.
o The BBC began transmitting time signals in 1924.  The chimes of Big
  Ben were first broadcast at midnight beginning 1 January and on
  5 February, at the recommendation of the then Astonomer Royal, Frank
  Dyson, the six pips time signal was inaugurated.
o Control of the BBC's six pips was taken over by the Royal Observatory
  in 1949 from Abinger to where the time service had moved during the
  war.  The time service moved to Herstmonceux in 1957.

As you can tell from the lengthy discussion above, I have an interest
in time, both as a shortwave listener and as a professor who teaches
astronomy and time to budding geodesists and surveying engineers.

If you'd like to learn more about time you might look for the book
"Greenwich Time and the Discovery of Longitude" by Derek Howse published
in 1980 by the Oxford University Press.

Richard B. Langley                  BITnet:  LANG@UNB.CA or SE@UNB.CA
Geodetic Research Laboratory        Phone:   (506) 453-5142
Dept. of Surveying Engineering      Telex:   014-46202
University of New Brunswick         FAX:     (506) 453-4943
Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3