[bitnet.swl-l] VOA Cuts Six Languages

eab@UUNET.UU.NET> (02/02/90)

Because of budget cuts, the Voice of America announced today (February 1)
the termination of six language broadcast services effective April 1, 1990.

The languages affected are: Lao, Swahili, Greek, Turkish, Uzbek and Slovene.

The announcement was made at at a general meeting of VOA employees by
Richard Carlson, VOA Director.

--
E. Allen (Al) Brown  VOA/BBC (Bureau of Broadcasting)  Voice of America
...uunet!voa3!eab  WA3FYZ/ZF2LY              Cohen Building, Room G-748

aem@BBN.COM> (02/02/90)

Gosh, all those poor Laotians, Swahilians, Turks, Uzbeks, and Slovenes won't
get their daily dose of official US propaganda! They'll suffer massive
withdrawal, and realize after a time that the US is not the center of the
world, the streets aren't paved with gold, and capitalism isn't the divine
order of God! They might even stop abandoning their own countries in attempts
to reach our self-styled paradise (where they become near-slaves cleaning
houses of the rich, living on the streets, and running each day from the INS)
and try to build their countries in some form other than in the US's image.

Well, maybe I'm exagerating the impact of VOA. Maybe most people do recognize
it's high propaganda content, and take everything on it with a block or two
of salt.

BTW, why does "The Most Powerful Nation in the World" (TM) need a propaganda
station?

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Only the educated are free.                             - Epictetus

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (02/02/90)

In article <1581@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:

>BTW, why does "The Most Powerful Nation in the World" (TM) need a propaganda
>station?

At the risk of being childish (VOA), the answer is I guess, to counter the
propaganda by the `Other Most Powerful Nation in the World' (TM).

Sriram Narayan  810446  Texas A&M University     |
INTERNET: narayan@photon.tamu.edu                |     Go Alain Prost!
BITNET: narayan@TAMVXEE

roskos@BBN.COM> (02/04/90)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:

>Well, maybe I'm exagerating the impact of VOA. Maybe most people do recognize
>it's high propaganda content, and take everything on it with a block or two
>of salt.

Spoken like someone who either (a) never listens to VOA, or (b) only
listens to the editorials at the end, or (c) has an unconventional view
of the US.

The principal bias of the VOA is that it mostly talks about political
events, and tends to focus on political events involving the US.  The
announcers also have a very cheerful and enthusiastic tone of voice.

Other than that, it's hard to see how one would claim that it has a "high
propaganda content."  From listening to it periodically for a number of
years, my impression is that VOA's basic approach is to try to present
the news surrounding these political events in a straightforward manner,
to try to inform people in other countries about how these things are
perceived in the US.

I haven't encountered many other countries' government-sponsored radio
stations that would, for example, have a debate in which one of the two
people says "I think George Bush should be impeached for invading Panama"
and is given equal time (and no interpretive commentary afterwards) with
the opposite viewpoint to explain and expand upon his views.

>They might even stop abandoning their own countries in attempts
>to reach our self-styled paradise (where they become near-slaves cleaning
>houses of the rich, living on the streets, and running each day from the INS)

Oh...  I think I see the problem.  That station on 9655 KHz that has the
American-sounding announcers and sounds a lot like VOA but says things
like the above, um, isn't VOA.  I imagine it comes in fairly strongly
down there in Miami, though.

As for VOA, as I've said before...  I wish their "Wireless File" was
available here in the US.  The closest thing to it is the GPO's
"Presidential Documents" and "Major Legislation of Congress," but it
lacks a lot of the detail and timeliness, and only has the text of the
President's speeches, not the others carried on the Wireless File.  I'd
rather read that (the full text of major political speeches) than the 1
or 2 quotes and lengthy interpretation provided in most of the
newspapers, at least to start out.  (Then I'd read the newspaper to see
what the news media's opinion was.)

[The above is my personal opinion.]
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

allbery@BBN.COM> (02/05/90)

As quoted from <1581@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> by aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg):
+---------------
| BTW, why does "The Most Powerful Nation in the World" (TM) need a propaganda
| station?
| --
| a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee
 Bioregion
| Only the educated are free.                             - Epictetus

Because certain persons in the U.S. government don't understand the *true*
meaning of your .signature quote.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)