[bitnet.swl-l] Suggestions for a novice

drake%uunet.uu.net.uucp@BBN.COM> (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb6.060410.703@cs.columbia.edu> djk@cs.columbia.edu (David
 Kurlander) writes:
>I've been spending much of my time listening to this radio, and now I
>would like to learn more about shortwave listening and DX-ing as a
>hobby.  Where can I get this information?  What books and magazines
>should I buy?

I'm hardly an expert (quite a novice, actually, or perhaps a duffer),
but two things that helped me figure out what was going on with SWL
(short wave listening) were "Popular Communications" (PopComm) magazine
and the "World Radio and Television Handbook" (WRTH).  PopComm is oriented
around listeners, while the other magazines are more appropriate for
hams; the WRTH book seems to be THE source for what's out there to listen to.
I also subscribed to the WRTH newsletter (a quarterly letter that tells
you about changes in frequencies and times that are wrong in the WRTH
book) and found it useful.

PopComm is still around, but in the past year a bunch of book stores
that used to stock it seem to have stopped.  Any idea what's up?

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861