[net.space] "At the moment Uranus's south pole points..."

Murray.pa@XEROX.COM (02/18/86)

How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
"North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/20/86)

In article <860217-235409-1418@Xerox> Murray.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
>How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
>"North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
>North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

I think "North" probably means the pole that, when looking down directly
above it, the planet seems to be turning counter-clockwise. Is this right?

--

Bruce Holloway
Digital Research, Inc.

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)

jkw@lanl.ARPA (Jay Wooten) (02/20/86)

> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

In fact, it doesn't transfer at all since geological evidence shows that
the Earth's magnetic poles switch places every few million years...

	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

mink@cfa.UUCP (Doug Mink) (02/21/86)

> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

The International Astronomical Union, the final arbitter on the issue,
says the the South pole is that which is below (South according to the
Sun) the plane of the planet's orbit.  Astronomers have traditional
used the angular momentum vector (from the right hand rule) as the
North pole.  Using the IAU criterium, the sunward pole is South; using
the traditional criterium, it is North.  A confusing issue is that the
North pole of the magnetic field is in the sunward hemisphere, though
55 degrees away from the sunward pole.  When I had to refer to a point
denoting the sunward pole in an illustration of a paper I wrote, I just
called it "a pole of Uranus" in the figure caption (though on checking
my reprints I note that it got changed to South somewhere along the
line).
--
			-Doug Mink, aging hippy astronomer
			 Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

spock@iham1.UUCP (Ed Weiss) (02/21/86)

In article <860217-235409-1418@Xerox>, Murray.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

I believe you can define "North Pole" as:
	When looking at this pole from a position perpendicular to the
	plane of the equator, the planet has a counter-clockwise spin.

This isn't anywhere near a precise definition, but you get the idea.
--

					Ed Weiss
					ihnp4!iham1!spock

					--> Live Long and Prosper <--

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (02/22/86)

In article <860217-235409-1418@Xerox>, Murray.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

The angular momentum vector of the Earth points toward the North Celestial
Pole.  Put it another way, looking down on the Earth from a point above
the North Pole the Earth's rotation is counterclockwise.  Therefore,
by convention, the north pole of any planet is that pole from which
the rotation appears counterclockwise.
--
"Ma, I've been to another      Ethan Vishniac
 planet!"                      {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

maariano@watdaisy.UUCP (Marco Ariano) (02/22/86)

In article <517@iham1.UUCP> spock@iham1.UUCP (Ed Weiss) writes:
>In article <860217-235409-1418@Xerox>, Murray.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
>> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
>> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
>> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.
>
>I believe you can define "North Pole" as:
>	When looking at this pole from a position perpendicular to the
>	plane of the equator, the planet has a counter-clockwise spin.

and:
In article <287@drivax.UUCP> holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) suggests:

>I think "North" probably means the pole that, when looking down directly
>above it, the planet seems to be turning counter-clockwise. Is this right?

Looks to me like yet another case of the old 'Right Hand Rule'.
Anybody (that knows what they're talking about) want to verify this?

dave@quest.UUCP (dave) (02/24/86)

> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

The north pole is the one in which the planet, when looked at
from above, rotates counter-clockwise.  I believe, although I
may be wrong (I remember the last time, in 1973 that... well,
thats a long story) that Uranuses north pole actually points
south of the ecliptic -- unlike most other planets.
--
+-----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Disclaimer:                       |     David Messer                 |

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) (02/25/86)

In article <287@drivax.UUCP>, holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) writes:
> In article <860217-235409-1418@Xerox> Murray.pa@XEROX.COM writes:
> >How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> >"North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> >North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.
>
> I think "North" probably means the pole that, when looking down directly
> above it, the planet seems to be turning counter-clockwise. Is this right?

According to the IAU, the planetographic north pole of a planet is the one
that is above the invariant plane.  This is very close to the ecliptic plane.
For some planets, Venus for example, this means that when you look down on the
north pole, the planet spins clockwise.  For others, Earth for example, the
spin is counter-clockwise.  In this system, Uranus spins clockwise when you
are above the north pole.  Don't flame me over this choice of convention I
don't like it myself.

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily JPL or NASA.

--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs

In article <399@utastro.UUCP>, ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:
> The angular momentum vector of the Earth points toward the North Celestial
> Pole.  Put it another way, looking down on the Earth from a point above
> the North Pole the Earth's rotation is counterclockwise.  Therefore,
> by convention, the north pole of any planet is that pole from which
> the rotation appears counterclockwise.
Unfortunately, the IAU (International Astronomical Union) didn't see it that
way.  Essentially, they decided that the north pole is the one above the
invariant plane (ecliptic) regardless of which way the planet spins.  It's
going to be lots of fun when we get really interested in asteroids and
comets :-(
--

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/25/86)

> How do I tell which end is North and which is South? I assume that the
> "North" pole of Mars is the one that's pointing roughly parallel to the
> North pole of Earth. That doesn't transfer to Uranus very well.

Looking down on the North pole of a planet, the rotation is
counter-clockwise.

michaelm@3COMVAX.UUCP (02/27/86)

I believe that north and south poles are defined on the basis of the
direction of rotation.  That pole is the north pole (regardless of
the orientation in which it points) which is the axle of rotation
in the same direction as Earth.  Thus Venus's north pole is defined
to point nearly due south with respect to Earth because its rotation
takes place in the opposite direction.

Cheers!

Michael McNeil	..!ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm

	*Salvati*.  Now what shall we do, Simplicio, with the fixed
	stars?  Do we want to sprinkle them through the immense abyss
	of the universe, at various distances from any predetermined
	point, or place them on a spherical surface extending around
	a center of their own so that each of them will be at the
	same distance from that center?
	*Simplicio*.  I had rather take a middle course, and assign
	them an orb described around a definite center and included
	between two spherical surfaces...
		Galileo Galilei, 1638, *Dialogues
		Concerning Two New Sciences*

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (03/01/86)

In article <578@jplgodo.UUCP>, steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) writes:
> In article <399@utastro.UUCP>, ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:
> > The angular momentum vector of the Earth points toward the North Celestial
> > Pole.  Put it another way, looking down on the Earth from a point above
> > the North Pole the Earth's rotation is counterclockwise.  Therefore,
> > by convention, the north pole of any planet is that pole from which
> > the rotation appears counterclockwise.
> Unfortunately, the IAU (International Astronomical Union) didn't see it that
> way.  Essentially, they decided that the north pole is the one above the
> invariant plane (ecliptic) regardless of which way the planet spins.

After much checking around here I see that I was in error.  It seems a bizarre
convention to me, but it is the IAU standard.  What tripped me up is that the
pole of Uranus is habitually described as tipped more than 90 degrees, which
is only possible if you worry about the direction of the angular momentum
vector.