[bitnet.swl-l] Today's FCC Meeting

rh@BBN.COM> (02/09/90)

Here's a quick summary of the actions taken at this morning's
meeting of the Federal Communications Commission.  Check the
"Airwaves" conference's file library in Capital OnLine
(1-202-833-1591; 8/N/1) for more information.

1)  The Commissioners approved four policy changes designed to
speed up the processing of construction permits and new station
applications for commercial FM broadcasters.

2)  The Commissioners voted to adopt a "Notice of Proposed Rule
Making" to facilitate the use of various microwave channels for
"wireless cable TV" services, as a "competitive alternative" to
traditional wire-based cable TV systems.

3)  The Commissioners voted to adopt a "Report and Order"
concerning private point-to-multipoint microwave systems.
Included in the action is a rule-change allowing the use of
"multiple low-power transmitters instead of one high-power
transmitter" in the 18 GHz band.  This is intended to support
the development of "wireless local area networks" for computers.

4)  The Commissioners approved a "Notice of Proposed Rule
Making" to create a new license category for amateur radio
operators that would not require a test of Morse code proficiency.
This is expected to remove a major obstacle stopping many people
from participating in the Amateur service.

5)  The Commissioners approved a "Notice of Proposed Rule
Making" to allocate an additional 33 MHz of spectrum for mobile
satellite services.

6)  The Commissioners adopted a "Memorandum Opinion and Order"
creating a new coordination procedure for sharing the 900 MHz
channels allocated to both federal government and nongovernmental
systems.

Finally, FCC Chairman Alfred Sikes announced that the Commission
would hold a "field hearing" next Monday (12 February 1990) in
Los Angeles at City Hall.  This is the first such formal meeting
outside of Washington "in living memory," Sikes said, and it
reflects the Commission's interest in hearing "points of view
that wouldn't necessarily be represented here in Washington."
Additional meetings will be held in Orlando, Florida and
St. Louis, Missouri (no dates given).
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Robert Horvitz, Executive Secretary              ANARC BBS:  1-913-345-1978

eickmeye@THINK.COM> (02/09/90)

In article <16058@well.sf.ca.us> rh@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Horvitz) writes:
[...]
>Finally, FCC Chairman Alfred Sikes announced that the Commission
>would hold a "field hearing" next Monday (12 February 1990) in
>Los Angeles at City Hall.  This is the first such formal meeting
>outside of Washington "in living memory," Sikes said, and it
>reflects the Commission's interest in hearing "points of view
>that wouldn't necessarily be represented here in Washington."

Does anyone have any more information about the Los Angeles meeting?
I will call the FCC field office tomorrow to inquire and post the
results, if no one else has done so by then.  I think this is an
opportunity too good for us in the L.A. area to pass up (as long as
it doesn't mean missing work, school I can miss! :-)

           "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do" -- Joe Walsh
Evan "Biff Henderson" Eickmeyer               University of Southern California
eickmeye@alcor.usc.edu                                  Los Angeles, California

kjh@BBN.COM> (02/09/90)

In article <16058@well.sf.ca.us> rh@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Horvitz) writes:

>Finally, FCC Chairman Alfred Sikes announced that the Commission
>would hold a "field hearing" next Monday (12 February 1990) in
>Los Angeles at City Hall.
>
>Robert Horvitz, Executive Secretary              ANARC BBS:  1-913-345-1978
>Association of North American Radio Clubs            Compuserve:  76210,517
>P.O. Box 143, Falls Church, VA 22046-0143 USA        uucp: rh@well.sf.ca.us

Please give details.  I live within spittin' distance, and I wanna go.
What time is the meeting, and what room is it in?  Are there any
specific concerns of the hams here that you might like me to express?

"Before Abraham was born,    Kenneth J. Hendrickson N8DGN
I AM!"  Jesus of Nazareth    1709 S. Bonnie Brae St., LA, CA 90006
Internet: kjh@usc.edu        UUCP: ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh