[bitnet.swl-l] Wanted: Recommendation for a CHEAP 24 hour clock

megabyte@RUTGERS.EDU> (02/01/90)

I'm tired of trying to remeber what to add or subtract to get UTC from
eastern time.  It is time to buy a 24 hour clock for in my shack.  I've
seen lots of expensive types, but surely someone must make an inexpensive
LCD or LED clock that has 24 hour format.
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Winchester, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) 667-5203

davidb@UUNET.UU.NET> (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb1.194316.3098@chinet.chi.il.us>, megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us
(Dr. Megabyte) writes:
> I'm tired of trying to remeber [sic] what to add or subtract to get UTC from
> eastern time.  It is time to buy a 24 hour clock for in my shack.  I've
> seen lots of expensive types, but surely someone must make an inexpensive
> LCD or LED clock that has 24 hour format.

Practically all electronic digital clocks are 24-hour.  The only problem
is that an idiot light goes on for AM pr PM instead of the more logical
solution of having a 24-hour display.

About a year ago, I (after arriving late for work because I accidentally
set my alarm for 6:30 PM instead of AM for what seemed like the 32767th
time) took my digital clock apart, clipped one end of an alligator lead
to the positive lead of the clock's power supply, clipped a 1K resistor
to the other end, and started probing the unused terminals of the digital
clock chip.  Viola!  The third one I tried, the display changed from 5:36
to 17:36.  I soldered the 1K resistor in place and put the clock back
together.

One minor problem is that while virtually all clock chips support 24-hour
displays, many clock displays only have 3 1/2 display digits.  Therefore,
22:30 looks like (small superscripted 1) 2:30.  I still prefer this to
the AM/PM idiocy that I had before (and I haven't accidentally set my alarm
for 6:30 PM since).
--
David Barts                     Pacer Corporation
davidb@pacer.uucp               ...!fluke!pacer!davidb

chguest%ames.arpa.uucp@BBN.COM> (02/08/90)

How cheap is cheap?

        I really like the results I obtained by building
the little led clock put out by Heathkit.  It is accurate,
has can be wired for either 24 or 12 hour, has an alarm, and
is simple to build.  It comes with a big bookk of step by
step instructions and only cost 24 buucks.

                                     Charles

+ *READ* ---> The opinions expressed above are to the best of my knowledge, +
+ however all options should be discussed with persons who have professional+
+ training with the subjects covered here. * ALL POSSIBLE DISCLAIMERS APPLY!+
+ ____FROM: chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov =>or<= sun!ames!pioneer!chguest____+
+ A new Soviet/American truism - KGB does NOT stand for Kinder Gentler Boys +

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (02/09/90)

As quoted from <4826@amelia.nas.nasa.gov> by chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (
 Charles J. Guest ):
+---------------
|       I really like the results I obtained by building
| the little led clock put out by Heathkit.  It is accurate,
| has can be wired for either 24 or 12 hour, has an alarm, and
| is simple to build.  It comes with a big bookk of step by
| step instructions and only cost 24 buucks.
+---------------

A few years ago, I picked up a digital clock from Radio Shack which has 2"
LEDs and switchable 12/24 hour display.  I'm not real certain of the R/S
number, but the bottom says "CAT NO. 63-765" (Micronta brand-name); this may
or may not be the R/S number, and I don't even know if the Shack sells it any
more.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery@NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery@cwjcc.cwru.edu

flake@BBN.COM> (02/09/90)

In previous articles:
>>>time to buy a 24 hour clock
>
>clock ... that would display:
>
>(1) local time (12/24 format)
>(2) UTC time (24 format)
>(3) local date/day
>(4) the UTC date/day

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the MFJ clocks.
They sell single and dual clock modules.  The dual solves
the four requirements above.  (perhaps only half of item 1 --
I seem to remember that one of the clocks is 12 hour
format only for local time)

I've owned a dual unit for several years now and am quite
pleased.

The two clocks are completely independent (which is sometimes
a minor agravation when they drift slightly out of sync -- but
then that's my clue to tune in WWV again and go through the
clock setting process!).

They can each be set for time, date, or alternating time/date.
I keep one in local time-only mode.  The other I keep set to
UTC in the alternating time/date mode.  Keeping a UTC date
display is important to me because of the confusion factor
when UTC date isn't local date.

Joe Flake, N4BGQ
NCR Corp
joe.flake@columbia.ncr.com

winter@BBN.COM> (02/10/90)

In article <216@prdmgt.Columbia.NCR.COM> flake@prdmgt.Columbia.NCR.COM (Joe
 Flake) writes:
>>[I previously wrote that I'd like a clock that would display:]
>>(1) local time (12/24 format)
>>(2) UTC time (24 format)
>>(3) local date/day
>>(4) the UTC date/day
>
>I'm surprised there's been no mention of the MFJ clocks.
>They sell single and dual clock modules.  The dual solves
>the four requirements above.  (perhaps only half of item 1 --
>I seem to remember that one of the clocks is 12 hour
>format only for local time)

Joe--

The last advertisement for MFJ clocks I saw described only the Model
107B (single) and 108B (dual). There was no mention of a date display
on either of them. Could you please post the model number of the one
you have? And does it in fact display the day of the week as well as
the date?

I'd prefer a simultaneous time/day/date display (as I think I said in
my original posting); I'm not fond of the ones that blink back and forth.
Still eager to hear from anyone who has seen something like that.

Patty

Patty Winter N6BIS                        INTERNET: winter@apple.com
AMPR.ORG: [44.4.0.44]                     UUCP: {decwrl,nsc,sun}!apple!winter