[bitnet.swl-l] LEBANON.......LEBANON......

ralph%rutgers.rutgers.edu.uucp@BBN.COM> (02/09/90)

In article <22694@usc.edu> arens@cse.usc.edu (Yigal Arens) writes:

>The Israeli press reported about a month ago that the Voice of Hope is
>actually broadcasting from inside Israel.

What I had heard is that the Voice of Hope is actually still
technically in Lebanon--if just barely.  Apparently, they're right
on the border, just on the Lebanese side, and the Israelis have
extended their border fence into Lebanon to surround the station.
They also get their power from a nearby Israeli town.  So they're
getting as much support from Israel as is humanly possible while
still being able to claim that they're in Lebanon.  Strange.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

LANG@UNB.CA (02/10/90)

On  Fri, 9 Feb 90 01:56:55 GMT  Ralph Brandi
<att!cbnewsj!ralph%rutgers.rutgers.edu.uucp@BBN.COM> writes:

> What I had heard is that the Voice of Hope is actually still
> technically in Lebanon--if just barely.  Apparently, they're right
> on the border, just on the Lebanese side, and the Israelis have
> extended their border fence into Lebanon to surround the station.
> They also get their power from a nearby Israeli town.  So they're
> getting as much support from Israel as is humanly possible while
> still being able to claim that they're in Lebanon.  Strange.

When I was in Bern, Switzerland, last December I managed to hear
High Adventure's King of Hope on several occasions.  Transmitting on a
nominal frequency of 6280 kHz, the station usually had a fair signal
as picked up on a Sony ICF-7600D with several metres of magnet wire
strung around my hotel room.  At 22:00 UT sign-off, the announcer said
the station was broadcasting from the Valley of the Springs in South
Lebanon and would be returning to the air at 14:30 UT.
Three addresses to which listeners could write were given:

     BM Box 2575
     London  WC1N 3XX

     Box 7466
     Van Nuys, CA  91409

     Box 77
     Metulla, Israel.

Metulla is right on the (old?) border with Lebanon.  The sign-off
announcement was followed with what could be the Lebanese national
anthem.

Also heard from Bern with fair but readable signals was the Voice of
Lebanon on 6550 kHz.  An English language news broadcast primarily
about Lebanon was transmitted at 23:00 UT.  The broadcasts I monitored
had durations of from 7 to 15 minutes and were followed by a resumption
of Arabic programming complete with commercials.

Richard B. Langley                  BITnet:  LANG@UNB.CA or SE@UNB.CA
Geodetic Research Laboratory        Phone:   (506) 453-5142
Dept. of Surveying Engineering      Telex:   014-46202
University of New Brunswick         FAX:     (506) 453-4943
Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3