[bitnet.swl-l] SW relay stations

q1ssd@UUNET.UU.NET> (02/08/90)

In article <1621@speedy.mcnc.org> kgreer@mcnc.org.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:

>  So, exactly how do the non-satellite feeds get there?  ssb feeders on sw, or
>somehow else?  If it was a ssb sw feeder, how do they keep the received (at the
>relay site) audio quality high enough to re-transmit?

   Well VOA use a system whereby they transmit one feed on one carrier and
another feed on another (although I would imagine that this practice is
becoming less common as satellite feeds become cheaper). Obviously an
international broadcaster is going to have equipment capable of receiving ssb
signals in such a manner that they ARE good enough for re-broadcast. Perhaps a
lot of audio processing is done at the receiving end ?
   Radio Nederland use to ship out tapes of their programs to their relay
stations (although items such as news would have to be relayed from SW). They
too now use satellite.

+ Computing Science Dept, University of Newcastle | All opinions expressed     +
+ Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, NE1 7RU (091 265 2486) | are mine and mine alone!   +
+ ARPA: C.Dennison@newcastle.ac.uk                |      Chris Dennison        +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

larry@UUNET.UU.NET> (02/09/90)

oo7@ut-emx.UUCP (Q. Burpington-Smythe) writes:

>...If I listen to the BBC, am I hearing signals broadcast from
>the U.K., or am I only picking up something last transmitted from the
 Caribbean,
>for example?...

Some of the relay stations give a local station ID when they sign-on (and
-off). At least those of the BBC and Deutsche Welle. For instance the DW
Antigua relay has the following s-on announcement: "This is Deutsche Welle
Caribbean Relay Station Antigua".

The BBC has a publication called "London Calling". It includes their complete
time/frequency schedule in a graphical format with relay information for each
frequency. Unfortunately most of the international broadcasters having relay
stations do not normally provide such information in their schedules.

>Derek Wills

Lauri

--
Lauri Toropainen                            | (larry@.saruman.it.lut.fi)
Lappeenranta University of Technology       |

henry@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> (02/11/90)

larry@kannel.lut.fi (Lauri Toropainen) wrote:
->The BBC has a publication called "London Calling". It includes their complete
->time/frequency schedule in a graphical format with relay information for each
->frequency. Unfortunately most of the international broadcasters having relay
->stations do not normally provide such information in their schedules.

"London Calling" doesn't show the relay stations anymore; they stopped
doing this a few months ago ... readers have written in to complain,
and they seem unmoving in their determination to omit this information
from the schedule.

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

Ken Greer <kgreer@MCNC.ORG> (02/11/90)

In article <1990Feb8.133324.22804@newcastle.ac.uk> C.Dennison@newcastle.ac.uk
(C. Dennison) writes:
++In article <1621@speedy.mcnc.org> kgreer@mcnc.org.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
++++
++++  So, exactly how do the non-satellite feeds get there?  ssb feeders on sw,
 or
++++somehow else?  If it was a ssb sw feeder, how do they keep the received (at
 the
++++relay site) audio quality high enough to re-transmit?
++
                    (Good info deleted here)

+++ ARPA: C.Dennison@newcastle.ac.uk                |      Chris Dennison
 +

Well, if I had waited about 2 more days I would not have had to post my
above question ... Yesterday (Sat. 2/10/90) I happened to be listening to the
R. Nederland African service from Madagascar when they discussed this very
thing.  Seems that more and more, satellites are the way to go.  They told
of the intricate encoding that is done to get the audio across the up/down
link to retain the audio quality.

If anyone is interested, this was on 15560 KHz at 1826 gmt (don't know exact
s/on time). (s/off at 1924)