[bitnet.swl-l] SCA - Not as easy as it seems

gkd%husc6.harvard.edu.uucp@BBN.COM> (02/13/90)

 writes:
> > According to Sangster's article, "the best way to recover the SCA audio
> > is to go in to the FM receiver and tap off at the `top' of the volume
> > control."
>
> This is apt to be nonsense.  The place you have to pick it off is between
> the output of the FM detector and the Multiplex decoder (if it's stereo)
> or before the de-emphasis network/filter (if it's a cheap mono).

I've found that by tricking an ICOM R71A receiver to tune below 100 KHz and
tuning in in the FM mode, SCAs can be heard by simply running a cable from the
external speaker jack an an FM radio to the antenna jack on the ICOM.  This
has worked with 2 AM/FM portable radios and a car stereo unit which I tried.
The audio fidelity isn't fantastic (probably due to the ICOM) and the
reception isn't completely free of interference from the main signal.  But
for casual listening, it is satisfactory and doesn't require the purchase
of a decoder (assuming you have a LF receiver).

Note:  I wouldn't recommend connecting the speaker jack of your 100W/channel
home entertainment center to your ICOM antenna jack, though.  :-)

                                                Greg