[bitnet.swl-l] How do I monitor RTTY, FAX, and other HF Utility stations?

megabyte@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV> (02/08/90)

Well it comes to this: I want to monitor all those buzzes, beeps and chirps
I hear on my Icom R71 and I now I need more equipment.  I know there are
really two routes:

1) Stand alone decoders that can connect to a printer monitor or
other RS-232 device

2) Decoders that utilize your IBM computer for the brains.

I happens to have a Radio Shack 1000 I don't use much I could utilize
in this endever.

Here is the question:  I see the Universal 'M' series of decoders starting
at about $500.00, I se several small RTTY, ASCII, and CW decoeders
with little 25 or so element "Times square marqee" displays and then
MJF has a RTTY, CW, and ASCII decoder that connects to an IBM PC for
about $75.00

What is the best way for a beginer to get into the monitoring of
the digital utility stations? How much can I expect to spend?
Should I go stand alone, "Marquee Display" type, or units that
require an external computer?
--
Mark E. Sunderlin: IRS Technocrat in Winchester, VA
 aka Dr. Megabyte: megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us  (703) 667-5203

mn@BBN.COM> (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.194719.7372@chinet.chi.il.us> megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us
(Dr. Megabyte) writes:
>Well it comes to this: I want to monitor all those buzzes, beeps and chirps
>I hear on my Icom R71 and I now I need more equipment.  I know there are
>really two routes:
>
>1) Stand alone decoders that can connect to a printer monitor or
>other RS-232 device
>
>2) Decoders that utilize your IBM computer for the brains.
>
>I happens to have a Radio Shack 1000 I don't use much I could utilize
>in this endever.
>
>Here is the question:  I see the Universal 'M' series of decoders starting
>at about $500.00, I se several small RTTY, ASCII, and CW decoeders
>with little 25 or so element "Times square marqee" displays and then
>MJF has a RTTY, CW, and ASCII decoder that connects to an IBM PC for
>about $75.00
>
>What is the best way for a beginer to get into the monitoring of
>the digital utility stations? How much can I expect to spend?
>Should I go stand alone, "Marquee Display" type, or units that
>require an external computer?

  Since you already have a computer, a powerful chunk of hardware, I would
suggest getting add-on devices and the software to run them, rather than
buying stand alone black boxes that are just very limited computers with
limited functions.
  MFJ makes a radio modem that has just about every commonly used digital
mode; CW, FAX, RTTY, AMTOR and few others I forgot.
  If your RS 1000 is a PC compatable you can choose from a wealth of
software, both off-the-shelf and public domain. If you can program you can
roll-yer-own shack software, which is what I did.
  The R71 is a darn good rig to copy digital modes with, and using your
computer you'll have a lot of fun making sense of some of those chirps and
warbles.
  There is one gotcha about RTTY on HF. Much of it is encrypted, often using
very simple bit inversion techniques that can be easily broken with the
right software. Most of the news services that used to be on HF have moved
upward to satellites. Even still there is a lot of ham, weather and
commercial RTTY being sent in the clear.

|  Michael Nowicki   N6LUU      Atari Corp,Sunnyvale CA     /TT/UNIX/X team  |
|............................................................................|
|  char *disclaimer="  Views expressed are my own, not my employer's";       |
|  char *good_quote="  'Wait'll they get a load of me!' -  The Joker";       |

roskos@BBN.COM> (02/10/90)

megabyte@chinet.chi.il.us (Dr. Megabyte) writes:

>Here is the question:  I see the Universal 'M' series of decoders starting
>at about $500.00, I se several small RTTY, ASCII, and CW decoeders
>with little 25 or so element "Times square marqee" displays and then
>MJF has a RTTY, CW, and ASCII decoder that connects to an IBM PC for
>about $75.00

>What is the best way for a beginer to get into the monitoring of
>the digital utility stations? How much can I expect to spend?

I looked in great detail at the Universal "M" series about a year ago,
including buying the technical manuals, then writing to Universal to ask
questions about it.  (I was reluctant to spend $1000 on what I found
in the technical manual for the M7000, basically, without some more
specifications justifying the price.)  Actually I also wrote to the
manufacturer, but they just forwarded the letter to the Universal
salesman.

I concluded the Universal devices are overpriced.  For best results they
require a video monitor.  They receive grey-scale fax but the quality is
very crude.  Internally they are much simpler than some of the other
devices that are less expensive; the main thing they have that some of
the others (like the PK232) don't is an A/D converter for use with fax.
The filters are much simpler than those in the PK232; I could never get
Universal to give me any specifications to use to compare the M7000
performance-wise with the other models (though they did give me a nice
sales pitch with an analogy to sportscars), so I could never find out
whether some magic software in the M7000 made up for the lower-order
filters (which should not have as sharp rejection of adjacent signals
and noise as the higher-order filters in the other manufacturers'
equipment, unless I'm missing something).

Eventually I bought a PK-232, and am quite pleased with it.  It's rumored
that AEA is about to come out with an all-new replacement for the PK232
based on a digital signal processor, though; so it might be a good idea
to wait and see if this rumor turns out to be true.  But the PK232 works
remarkably well, across a wide range of shift widths (the difference
between the "mark" and "space" frequencies in RTTY).

HOWEVER... there is not much out there to receive.  Remember that most
of the people who send by the digital methods, other than amateur radio
and a few weather stations, don't want their communications monitored,
and so they encrypt them.  Using real, genuine encryption schemes.  Most
of those really strong stations you can hear with an SSB receiver are
military encrypted communications.

Here in Washington DC (which is also where the person asking the question
lives), I can receive only the USIA's "Wireless File", the Canadian
Forces' Halifax weather broadcasts, and a strong Spanish-Language station
from Argentina, with regularity.  Also occasional telegrams from Cuba
to people in the US.  Generally there is a good bit of garbling of the
data in all of these, though, since RTTY is more susceptible to minor
interference and fading than voice stations.  I can also receive the
coded (for compactness, not for purposes of encryption) weather broadcasts
from the Air Force's weather station in Nebraska.

There are other things... for example, ship-to-shore communications
via SITOR.  But there is nothing one would really want to read regularly,
in my opinion, since other than the weather broadcasts, most of it is
point-to-point communications, not broadcast news or similar information.

My personal interest is in weather facsimile.  It is generally intended
for wider reception; and there are a lot of different types of weather
facsimile to experiment with.  If you have a good SSB receiver, you can
get a demodulator to go with a PC for around $100 or so.  (It produces
4-bit parallel data; you can input it through the game port, for
example.) For about $200, you can get a VHF receiver to receive the
satellites directly when they go over head, although this takes some
serious interest since they only go by at specific times which you have
to calculate (via software) from the bulletins TS Kelso publishes in
rec.ham-radio or a similar source, and it takes some work to get the
receiving station set up.  You need the above demodulator for those too,
so the cost is closer to $300, plus you need a good EGA or (preferably)
VGA display.  You can buy display software to use with the above for
about $50, so that part's easy.

In my opinion, having started out with the PK232 because I hoped there
would be AP news, weather, etc.  out there, and then found that there
wasn't much, and then gotten eventually into WEFAX, it's better to skip
the intermediate, somewhat disappointing steps and start out with WEFAX.

Of course, your interests, and thus relative enjoyment, may differ.
--
Eric Roskos (roskos@IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

        "Some countries maintain `fast time' throughout the year, in which
         case it becomes `standard time'." -- DMA World Map 1150 (USGS)

pfluegerm@BBN.COM> (02/13/90)

(Dr. Megabyte) writes:
> Well it comes to this: I want to monitor all those buzzes, beeps and chirps
> I hear on my Icom R71 and I now I need more equipment.  I know there are
> really two routes:

Try the AEA PK-232.  It'll copy basically everything except SSTV.  Copies
RTTY (baudot, ASCII) TOR (e.g. AMTOR, SITOR), CW, FAX (yes, weather fax
and other photos), multiplex, NAV STX, and packet.  IMHO the best.

A very complete package for around $300.  Audio in, RS-232 out.  Needs
a terminal emulation program.  Needs their program (~$60) to display FAX
onscreen (Mac or PC, I think its available for Amiga & Commodore also).

They are rumored to be near completion of a DSP (digital signal processing
rather than analog modems) unit - which should be more flexible for upgrades,
etc.

Any ham store should be familiar with this, and all the ham mags have ads
for it.

FYI, most non-amateur RTTY is encrypted. What isn't is mostly weather
information, although a few wire services can be heard.
--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm