[bitnet.swl-l] Buying from Japan

postmaster@CUVMB.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (02/20/90)

In article <38695@apple.Apple.COM> pvh@Apple.COM (Pete Helme) writes:
>So my question is has anyone here ever purchased a transceiver from Japan and
>succesfully modified it for American frequencies and been happy with that.
>Or have you been sorry you didn't have a USA warranty etc. I have
>contacts in Japan so getting the radio is no problem.  I'm just wondering if
>it's more hassle than the money savings is worth.

        I purchased my IC-32AT in Hong Kong.  The only problem I ran into
        was the fact that they use 430-440 for their "450" band (actually
        it was rig to be used in Australia, according to labeling on the
        box).  I think Japan has the same 430-440 band.  Upon returning
        to the US, I called Icom and learned that it was no problem to
        convert it to 440-450.  2 weeks and $50 later, I had my rig back.
        I think it was worth it - even with the conversion cost, I was
        still $150 ahead of the going price here.