[bitnet.swl-l] Good Africa -> N. America DX

@BBN.COM:benk@inmet (02/21/90)

    Since several people seem to be interested in the receiving equipment
I was using when I stumbled upon an afternon's worth of good African DX
on 14 February 1990, here it is for the record:

    1. Receiver: Sony ICF-2010

    2. Antenna: 75-foot indoor longwire

    The antenna was coupled to the receiver via an MFJ-16010 antenna tuner.

    So, my setup was hardly "bare bones", but it wasn't a JRC NRD-525 coupled
to a 2000-foot Beverage antenna oriented towards Central Africa either!

    Good DXing *is* possible with a mid-priced rig and antenna!

    -- Ben Krepp

    From uunet: uunet!inmet!benk
    From DDN:   benk@inmet.inmet.com

Krishnan Yegnashankaran <news@oracle.uucp> (02/21/90)

In article <494@althea.UUCP> eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) writes:
>In article <83600030@inmet> benk@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>>

>>    While doing a casual scan of the low-end of the  60 meter band yesterday
>>(14 February) at about 2220 UTC I noticed that ELWA from Monrovia, Liberia on
>>4760 kHz was coming in "like gangbusters".  A check of the rest of 60 meters
>
>It may have been good general conditions around that date. Checking my log
>I noticed I received
>
>       Radio Tahiti                     15170.8      0413UTC  Feb. 14
>       All India Radio                  11620        1406UTC  Feb. 17

I have been able to monitor Radio Tahiti both on 15170.8 and 11825.4 most
evenings for the last two weeks. The signal wandered a few hertz but has
been exceptionally strong.

As far as the 60m band is concerned, I have been able to log Radio Suid Africa
on 4810, 4880 and 3215 kHz. What I thought was Port Moresby, Papua NG on
4890.1 kHz, I think was Radio France International relayed from Gabon.

All of this on the West Coast in the San Francisco Bay Area. With a Kenwood
R5000.

Re All India Radio. All winter long they had been really strong on 11830 kHz
from 0130-0230 UTC. They seem to have completely disappeared from here these
days. But strangely enough I have been able to log it on 7260 kHz at 0130 UTC
buried under all the ham chatter! Something that I have never been able to
do before. On 17805 kHz from 0315-0430 AIR beamed to Africa has been much
clearer than ever before.

The mysteries of propagation presumably hits again.

Krishnan Yegnashankaran.

"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic." -Lewis Carroll
Krishnan Yegnashankaran.                         kyegnash@dvlseq.oracle.com