[bitnet.swl-l] VOA Broadcast in SF Bay Area

William Kucharski <kucharsk@tardis.uucp> (02/20/90)

Hello all.  I'm new to this group, so forgive me if this is a silly/obvious
question.

While sitting around my apartment in Santa Clara, CA one day getting ready to
move out here to Colorado, I was fooling around with my Realistic AM radio to
see if I could pick up KOA, Denver (I could, but only late at night.)  Well,
this was around 5:00 PST or so and I found a VOA broadcast around 8500-9000 kHz
(sorry - "slide rule" tuner).  I can't imagine a MW broadcast of VOA would be
audible in the bay area, but was it?  Or was it some type of feeder broadcast?

Thanks in advance.  Once more, my apologies if there's an obvious answer to this
one...
| ARPA: kucharsk@Solbourne.com                | William Kucharski             |
| UUCP: ...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk | Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |

Charles Hobbs <@BBN.COM,@eel:cccph@locus.ucla.edu> (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb20.184859.20580@Solbourne.COM> kucharsk@Solbourne.com
(William Kucharski) writes:
>Hello all.  I'm new to this group, so forgive me if this is a silly/obvious
>question.
>
>While sitting around my apartment in Santa Clara, CA one day getting ready to
>move out here to Colorado, I was fooling around with my Realistic AM radio to
>see if I could pick up KOA, Denver (I could, but only late at night.)  Well,
>this was around 5:00 PST or so and I found a VOA broadcast around 8500-9000 kHz
>(sorry - "slide rule" tuner).  I can't imagine a MW broadcast of VOA would be
>audible in the bay area, but was it?  Or was it some type of feeder broadcast?
>
>Thanks in advance.  Once more, my apologies if there's an obvious answer to
 this
>one...

If it was an "AM" (i.e. mediumwave) radio, the signal would have
been between _850_ and _900_ kHz....

What you probably heard was either an _image_ or an intermodulation
product between the VOA signal and some other signal (combining
and forming sum and difference frequencies, one of which just
happens to fall in the mediumwave band).

Remember too that there are powerful VOA transmitters at Dixon, CA
which is relatively close to Sacramento and the Bay Area.

Charles P. Hobbs
eel.cs.ucla.edu      Plink: oar001      Genie: C.HOBBS