[bitnet.swl-l] Sangean 803A hints

Don Liu <@RUTGERS.EDU,@orstcs:liud@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU> (02/21/90)

Recently I fixed several minor problems of my new Sangean receiver.
I am posting the followings in hope that some of you may use it as
reference.

The problems are:
1) Inacuracy in the synthesized frequency
2) Audible "hiss"
3) Crossmodulation (that is, strong local stations interference
   when using a good antena)

My fixes are:
1) open the back cover and remove the top PC board. Set the bandwidth
switch to "narrow" and tune to a weak yet clear signal. Adjust
the tunable capacitor to center the frequency (very easily done).

2) Since the volume of this radio is ample, I reduced the audio gain
by 50%. This cures the hiss, makes the volume control smoother and
results in a better audio quality. The max volume is still enoughly
big. To do this, reduce increase the two feed-back divider resistor
from 100 ohm to 200 ohm. They are in board labeled B, and are connected
to the audio amp pins 3 and 12 thru two 100uf caps. (symetric since
there are left and right channels)

3) You may have crossmodulation if you find that a good antena would
make reception worse. reduce the RF gain will help reduce the cross
modulation, but the redustion is often not enough. There is a 68 ohm
resistor connecting the RF gain potentiometer to ground. Shorting
this resistor will increase the gain control range greatly thus
fixing this problem.

Another surgury I have done to my radio is to install 4 lead-acid
batteries into the battery compartment and connect the "+" to
power jack input. This way, a 24-hour charging will give me 3 month
of play. The battery I used are 2.5 amp-hour type and is of same
dimension as the D cells. I got them from a local e-junk store.

Happy SWLing!

Dave Bakken <bakken@ARIZONA.EDU> (02/23/90)

In article <16096@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> liud@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU.ECE.ORST.EDU (Don
 Liu) writes:
>Recently I fixed several minor problems of my new Sangean receiver.
>I am posting the followings in hope that some of you may use it as
>reference.
>
>The problems are:
>3) Crossmodulation (that is, strong local stations interference
>   when using a good antena)

[ the fix]

>3) You may have crossmodulation if you find that a good antena would
>make reception worse. reduce the RF gain will help reduce the cross
>modulation, but the redustion is often not enough. There is a 68 ohm
>resistor connecting the RF gain potentiometer to ground. Shorting
>this resistor will increase the gain control range greatly thus
>fixing this problem.

Thanks for the info - this sounds really helpful.  Just to make sure
you are as precise as you sound: does mod #3 increase the gain control
or just shift it down?  Having less gain would be really nice for
some instances, but, of course, sometimes you need high gain for
strong signals.

Also, are there any possible negative side-effects or loss of other
performance by the mods you recommend?  Thanks.

Dave
--
Dave Bakken                             Internet:  bakken@cs.arizona.edu
721 Gould-Simpson Bldg                  UUCP:      uunet!arizona!bakken

"Stephen M. Linscott" <LINSCOT@RICEVM1.RICE.EDU> (02/23/90)

I meant to send this to the list. Loose nut on the keyboard!! :-)

On Wed, 21 Feb 90 05:07:35 GMT Don Liu said:
>Recently I fixed several minor problems of my new Sangean receiver.
>I am posting the followings in hope that some of you may use it as
>reference.
>
>The problems are:
>1) Inacuracy in the synthesized frequency
>2) Audible "hiss"
>3) Crossmodulation (that is, strong local stations interference
>   when using a good antena)
>
>My fixes are:

(stuff deleted)

>3) You may have crossmodulation if you find that a good antena would
>make reception worse. reduce the RF gain will help reduce the cross
>modulation, but the redustion is often not enough. There is a 68 ohm
>resistor connecting the RF gain potentiometer to ground. Shorting
>this resistor will increase the gain control range greatly thus
>fixing this problem.

(more stuff deleted)

>Happy SWLing!

The DX-440 already has the RF gain mod.  The print shows the 68 ohm
resistor as "not present", and my meter confirms that the bottom of
the pot is grounded.  BTW, the board layout picture has the gain and
BFO pots labeled backwards!
                                73  - Steve -