[bitnet.swl-l] antennas

gt1541b@BBN.COM> (01/11/90)

I posted some time ago about my DX440 radio and hooking
up an external antenna with some 58/u cable, and I wanted
to know if I should worry about impedance matching.

I still have this question.  Can it damage the radio
and reception if I don't -- I'm getting nervous
with all these people talking about the Sony 2010
problems with static and antennas.

Boris Laffkin
25 metre jockey

Boris Laffkin <@RUTGERS.EDU:gt1541b@prism> (02/20/90)

Okay, everybody keeps talking about all these active and passive
antenna kits.  What I'm looking for is a book that simply describes
how to build and tune them.  I already have tons of wire and such,
but would simply like some antenna equations out of a book
to put them together properly.  Preferably this would be a
"how-to" book, and not just some EE theory text.

I know some EE's here at Tech, and even they are shaky on
hooking up active antennas to my DX440.

Boris Laffkin
Quantum Mechanic @ the Sub-Atomic Garage

Barry Ornitz <@CS.ROCHESTER.EDU:ornitz@kodak> (02/21/90)

In article <6177@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1541b@prism.gatech.EDU (Boris Laffkin)
writes:
>Okay, everybody keeps talking about all these active and passive
>antenna kits.  What I'm looking for is a book that simply describes
>how to build and tune them.  I already have tons of wire and such,
>but would simply like some antenna equations out of a book
>to put them together properly.  Preferably this would be a
>"how-to" book, and not just some EE theory text.

Get a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book published by the American Radio Relay
League in Newington, CT.  Cost is around $20.  This book is an excellent
introduction to antennas and is quite practical.  If you want to get into
antenna theory, it is there too.  You will find everything from simple wire
antennas to large arrays in this book; also you can get good information on
materials of construction, rotators, etc. in this book.  Most of the designs
are for the amateur radio bands but you should be able to scale them to
whatever you need in frequency.  You might even get interested in getting a
ham license (Heh, Heh - ulterior motive in my posting!).

Several things need to be remembered in antenna design for receiving:

1.  A dollar spent on an antenna will probably do more than $100 on a better
receiver in terms of sensitivity - or...you want to hear the weak ones? put up
a good outdoor antenna.
2.  Receivers can tolerate far, far more impedance mismatch than transmitters
before their performance is seriously degraded.  This means that just about
any hunk of wire put up outdoors will perform well - probably better than most
active antennas.
3.  Antenna tuners for receiving may or may not be of benefit.  If your
receiver overloads from a local broadcast band station, the tuner might provide
enough front-end selectivity to help; the problem is actually with the poor
overload characteristics of the receiver.  Vacuum tube radios are better than
solid-state radios in this regard.  My R-390A is nearly impossible to
overload!  A high-pass filter will also knock out BCB overload.  If you want
to try a tuner, the ARRL Antenna Book has designs.  Remember for receiving-
only applications, high-voltage capacitors are not needed.  See also 2 above.
Tuners are rarely needed for impedance matching of receivers.
4.  Tinker.  Antennas are fun.  Just remember to be careful near power lines.
Also disconnect and ground the antenna when not in use to avoid lightning zap.

Good luck in your experiments.  Happy listening.
                                73, Barry
 -----------------
 -----------------

Brian Daly <dalyb@godzilla.bitnet> (02/23/90)

 writes:
> Okay, everybody keeps talking about all these active and passive
> antenna kits.  What I'm looking for is a book that simply describes
> how to build and tune them.  I already have tons of wire and such,
> but would simply like some antenna equations out of a book
> to put them together properly.  Preferably this would be a
> "how-to" book, and not just some EE theory text.
>
> I know some EE's here at Tech, and even they are shaky on
> hooking up active antennas to my DX440.

I'd suggest you try some of the ARRL publications:

     ARRL Handbook
     ARRL Antenna Book

There are also other ARRL publications that go into antenna construction.
See the latest issue of QST magazine -- there is usually an order form
in each issue.

--
Brian K. Daly WB7OML @ AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona
UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!dalyb

Ken Greer <@BBN.COM:kgreer@mcnc.org.uucp> (02/26/90)

 writes:
++ Okay, everybody keeps talking about all these active and passive
++ antenna kits.  What I'm looking for is a book that simply describes
++ how to build and tune them.
+
+     ARRL Handbook
+     ARRL Antenna Book

  I would suggest that you check in your local public library before spending
any money on them, not that they are not good books in their own right.  Or,
also try any nearby university engineering library.

Kim Greer
klg@orion.mc.duke.edu