[bitnet.swl-l] language course on SW

Wai Hung Leung <wleung@uunet.uu.net.uucp> (02/27/90)

Last night I came across an English broadcast from Radio Japan and heard
a segment of it that was teaching basic Japanese.  So I came up with
a few questions.

1) I know that Voice of Free China (from Taipei) also offers this kind
of language instructions, does anyone know of any other SW broadcaster
who does that in other languages?  (German in particular)

2) If one knows more about the Radio Japan broadcast.  (It was about
10:45 EST == 17:45UTC around 9500kHz)  Such as exact time of broadcast.

Thanks for the info.
--
Wai Hung Leung        wleung@matrox.com        matrox!wleung

"C. Dennison" <q1ssd@uunet.uu.net.uucp> (02/28/90)

In article <516@matrox.com> wleung@matrox.com (Wai Hung Leung) writes:
> does anyone know of any other SW broadcaster
>who does that in other languages?  (German in particular)

Yes! 'Auf Deutsch Gesagt' (said in German) is a language course run by
Deutschlandfunk (effectively the European outlet for external FRG programs).
This is a series of four books and a 15 minute lesson every week. I think that
it also runs on Deutsche Welle. I'll get you the address (I have their 'Hallo
Friend' on my kitchen table at home so there's no problem there)

Radio Nederland also did a dutch language course with a book and cassette. This
cost 3 IRCs (DLF & DW one is free).

_____
+ Computing Science Dept, University of Newcastle | All opinions expressed     +
+ Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, NE1 7RU (091 265 2486) | are mine and mine alone!   +
+ ARPA: C.Dennison@newcastle.ac.uk                |      Chris Dennison        +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
alue specified by
"attrtimeout," which defaults to two minutes.  This is actually the
amount of time the server will keep the file open after a get-attributes
call in anticipation of another request such as read-file.

Individual applications differ on their ability to tolerate an inexact
size for a file.  Append operations (e.g. ">>foo") are quite likely to do
the wrong thing, whereas straight copy operations are likely to work.

"ls" options that require file attirbutes, such as "-p" or "-t", incur
the cost of determining the file size even though they do not explicitly
use it.

Richard Ryniker
IBM Research