[net.space] MIR APOGEE/PERIGEE CORECTIONS

biro@pipa.DEC (02/28/86)

MIR UPDATE

From the NASA element set I calculated the APOGEE and  PERIGEE of MIR
(old and new) and SALYUT_7.  One can see that MIR  has had successful
correction of both the APOGEE and PERIGEE in the three days or so and
it does look like a rendezvous trajectory  with SALYUT_7 or the Large
Cosmos 1686 module that has been attached to SALYUT_7.  I think   the
rough dimensions of SALYUT_7 is about 23 Meters long and dia. about 4
Meters. This would makes its  internal volume about  100 cubic meters,
an its weight at about 26,000 Kg, based on the dimensions of SALYUT_6.
Aviation Week stated that MIR was launch by Proton booster,So I would
assume that MIR is in simular in size and weight.

SPACECRAFT	MIR	MIR	SALYUT_7
ELEMENT SET	  2	 15	 48
DAY of 1986	 52.124	 55.963  50.750
APOGEE   KM	293.363 338.759	348.988
PERIGEE  KM	171.361	324.338	346.401
INCLINATION	 51.613	 51.614	 51.627

Also several people have asked about a good reference source for
Soviet Space Programs. The U.S. Government  Printing  Office has
3 good books that they sell.

SOVIET SPACE PROGRAMS:
PART 1.  dealing with launch vehicles and sites and goals
PART 2.  Manned Space Programs and Space Life Sciences
PART 3.  Unmanned space activities

Part 1 is out of print, Part 2 was advable when I got my copy
about a year ago, and Part 3 at that time was not yet advable.

john

hammen@puff.UUCP (Zaphod Beeblebrox) (03/03/86)

In article <1426@decwrl.DEC.COM>, biro@pipa.DEC writes:

> Also several people have asked about a good reference source for
> Soviet Space Programs. The U.S. Government  Printing  Office has
> 3 good books that they sell.
>
> SOVIET SPACE PROGRAMS:
> PART 1.  dealing with launch vehicles and sites and goals
> PART 2.  Manned Space Programs and Space Life Sciences
> PART 3.  Unmanned space activities
>
> Part 1 is out of print, Part 2 was advable when I got my copy
> about a year ago, and Part 3 at that time was not yet advable.
>
> john

Another excellent source of information are the books by James Oberg,
'Red Star In Orbit' and 'The New Race For Space.'  Oberg is a NASA employee
who works one of the consoles at the Johnson Space Center.  He provides
detailed pictures, evidence and descriptions of the Soviet space program.
Some of his material may be flawed, but I generally find it better reading
(not necessarily more factual) than the US government books.  There are a
couple of older books, 'The Kremlin and the Kosmos', by Nicholas Daniloff,
and 'The Russian Space Bluff' by some Russian defector I can't remember.
There are also books by Peter Smolders and Evgeny Riabchenkov (sp?) which
are again rather old (10-15 yrs.) but nonetheless interesting.

Robert J. Hammen		{seismo,allegra,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!hammen
U. of Wisc. CS Dept.					    !gumby!hammen
U. of Wisc. Plasma Physics Dept. hammen@puff.wisc.edu
Manta Software Corp.		 hammen@gumby.wisc.edu

MAIL: 45 N. Orchard St. Madison WI 53715     AT&T: (608)251-2846