[alt.hackers] Magic programs

wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) (01/12/90)

In article <4622@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> sartin@hplabsz.UUCP (Rob Sartin) writes:
>In article <NELSON.90Jan9220037@image.clarkson.edu>
>nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes an awful lot about "magic" considering
>he's writing about computer programming.  What's the obsession with
>"magic"?  I see it among many hackers.  It is as if we want to hide the
>(hopefully logical) way things work in order to maintain the priesthood.

   If this is the same article I was reading ...

  Magic:

  prompt> Command
   running...

  Non magic:

  prompt> Command
  Enter card port from little piece of paper taped to keyboard: 5b
  Enter network configuration from little piece of paper: 19200n81
  Is this right? y
   running ...
  Error: Incorrect numbers entered from little piece of paper.

  prompt> _

  Sorta magic:

  prompt> Command

  Can't find configuration file. Enter path to configuration file.
  > ~/piles/of/config/files

  Error: Incorrect data stored in config file.

   Under this definition, at least, there's nothing wrong with a "magic"
program, unless of course the magic doesn't work quite right and can't
be overridden...

--
wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu        (206)526-5885      Seattle, Washington