[alt.hackers] Computer Abuse / Product Liability / Criminal Statutes / ECPA

blackcat@neuro.usc.edu (01/17/90)

In article <4613@helios.ee.lbl.gov> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
>In the referenced message, burch@quik07.enet.dec.com (Ben Burch) wrote:
>}I think here we have the beginnings of a war over the definition of the
>}term hacker! ... personal definition of hacker appears here ...
>This is your definition.  It is even the original definition.  It is *NOT*
>the only definition.  Please do not chase off the telecom hackers.  You
>clearly have a lot to learn from them.
Whether one likes change or not, the definition of specific words tends to
change with common usage over time.  There can be little doubt that public
opinion subsequent to the release of the movie "War Games" would tend to
support the use of the term "hacker" to refer to people who try to obtain
unauthorized access to computer systems or communication networks.  I fail
to see the point of beating this dead horse any further into oblivion.

Now, on to more serious matters.  Whatever preconceived notions you hold
about people who seek unauthorized access to computer systems, I ask that
you suspend judgement for a few moments and consider the following points:

    o  Not every hacker attempts to gain access to systems with freely
       published passwords (as in the case of DEC's VAX fiasco wherein
       the os installation manuals contained the default passwords for
       the field service and system testing  accounts), easily guessed
       passwords (exploiting the lax security practices of authorized
       users), spoofing authorized users to give their account/password
       trash, or by entering lengthly random trial and error sequences.
       Tiny children often exploit these vulnerabilities.

    o  Some hackers gain access by discovering little known defects in
       system software (e.g. side effects of operating system calls);
       scavenging communication devices or buffers for the plain text
       account/password combinations; rewriting microcode for public
       access communication devices; running code under temporarily
       suspended privileged accounts while charging resources used to
       currently active nonprivileged accounts; passively monitoring
       rf emissions from computer terminals, phone lines, microwave
       towers, and satellite links to secure plain text identification,
       communication access points, and operating procedures; or by a
       wide variety of other means requiring some minimal amount of
       technical expertise.  Teenagers exploit such vulnerabilities.

    o  A very small number of hackers acquire red (crypto secure) data
       communications, break the codes, and steal national defense and
       commercial business secrets.  College kids, some West Germans,
       and not a few government sponsored and freelance intelligence
       agents fall into this category.

    o  One sorry bugger to date has introduced a virus that managed to
       utilize a little known defect in DEC and SUN system software ...
       and the rest of his case is currently on trial & making history.
       I would note that his effort (the INTERNET virus) meets each of
       the criteria discussed so far in this group for being a "hack"
       of the highest level ... one requiring a considerable degree of
       expertise ... and one (from personal examination of virus code)
       which was not readily understood by an experienced hacker.

    o  Personally, I believe the current attempts to write most computer
       crime/abuse/antihacker statutes are misdirected.  They proscribe
       behaviours that are commonly performed by system managers, site
       security personnel, vendor maintenance personnel, and many others.
       These statutes may give the public a false feeling of security and
       provide prosecutors with an additional tool to selectively harass
       someone they don't like.  But none of these statutes address the
       fundamental weeknesses in existing data processing systems.  The
       primitive security techniques these statutes attempt to support
       (plain text challenge and response with account names/passwords)
       were developed in the 1960's with little thought about persistent
       attack.  Such statutes will accomplish little more than the ECPA
       (electronic communications privacy act) which forbids listening
       to cellular telephone communications.  Such calls are broadcast
       at 30 KHz intervals in the band from 870-890 MHz.  A quick scan
       of this broadcast band will indicate that few if any callers are
       aware that their voice can be received anywhere within the range
       of the repeater servicing their call.  Simple plain text challenge
       and response offer little more security for computer systems.

    o  I believe the law should be changed to match the anti gun statutes
       ... "USE A COMPUTER IN THE COMMISSION OF A FELONY: GO TO JAIL" ...
       crimes require criminal intent ... the government should be forced
       to prove that intent ... if unintended damage is caused, some civil
       action to recover the cleanup costs may be appropriate ... and, if
       the government can prove intent, as in the case of a spy with full
       documentation of a continuing pattern of abuses, then find a tall
       tree and hang'em high ... but never sidestep the issue of intent
       ... it may not be easy to prove ... but our entire criminal legal
       system is built on a foundation of intent ... throw that away and
       no citizen (however blameless) will be safe from persecution.

    o  In any case, I believe the new generation hackers (intruders) may
       be better served by being invited by the old generation hackers
       (obscure code craftsmen) to participate in this discussion group
       and attempt to become interested in more productive activities --
       (e.g. fixing public domain INGRES to run on current generation
       unix systems, updating the old X10 server for the ibm/pc to work
       with X11R4, etc).  I would offer them lists of anonymous ftp/xfer
       systems containing millions of lines of code from small programs
       to large systems that would meet their need to explore (without
       the very time consuming and wasteful process of breaking uninvited
       into personal, commercial, and government systems), be challenged,
       and perhaps even contribute to the wealth of good hacks available
       to the public.

    o  No one should be insulted ... or otherwise baited or goaded into
       breaking into systems as a sign of rebellion against established
       authorities like the people who brow beat the bored and restless
       children who have written into this group in an attempt to make
       contact with something more stimulating than an assignment to
       write a "C" program to solve an arbitrary combinatorics problem.

Obligatory hacking report: I am trying to fix a generic security problem
involving the triggering of data terminal answerback buffers by whatever
program elects to send a ^W in the course of displaying a message.  The
specific problem I have encountered is a public access computer terminal
room where one of our students entered "^Y@dra0:[name]x.bat" into the
answerback buffer, waited for a privileged user to access that terminal,
sent email containing a ^W to that privileged user, the privileged user
read the email, triggered the answerback buffer, and promptly changed
the protection on the user authorization file and the user authorization
program to rwed access for all users on the system.  The student user ran
the user authorization program, reset the password on a dormant privileged
account, logged out, logged back in as the dormant privileged user, reset
the protection on the user authorization file and the user authorization
program, read and copied mail between numerous high level administrative
users, introduced numerous trapdoors to allow reentry to our system, and
logged out with nary a trace (some details of the audit trails that were
successfully used to secure a full confession have been left out) of her
presence.  This is a purplexing problem ... why do manufacturers still
put an answerback buffer in computer terminals ... such buffers should
have disappeared with the Model 35 TTY.  Currently, short of periodically
sending ^W to all of our inactive terminals (and gobbling up the response),
there is no evident way to prevent such abuse.  Suggestions anyone?

FINAL COMMENT:  The INTERNET virus should be treated as a product liability
question.  In my opinion, DEC and SUN should pay the cost of the cleanup
effort.  If it were not for latent defects in the products distributed by
these two manufacturers (which have been subsequently repaired by emergency
hacks and official patches), the relatively innocuous INTERNET virus could
not have spread so far so rapidly.  The show trial of some poor student who
happened to test for the presence of this defect and found he had created a
an extremely large chain reaction of systems passing this virus from one to
another ... is only detracting from the central fact -- today's vendors are
incapable of producing computer products without significant security (and
for that mater day to day operational) defects.  These defects regularly
result in unintended system crashes, destruction of data, communications
outages, denial of service, etc.  If we are not going to put a very large
number of unwitting vendor software development people, system managers,
users, and maintenance people in jail for unintentionally triggering such
disruptions ... then we are going to have to find a better way to secure
systems ... some way that is better than the Morris show trial.

First of all, I agree with blackcat that the ECPA is seriously deficient in
many areas, particularly in the quixotic attempt to legislate privacy for
cellular phones.

One thing that I found amusing in his article, though, was the following:

>     o  One sorry bugger to date has introduced a virus that managed to
>        utilize a little known defect in DEC and SUN system software ...
>        and the rest of his case is currently on trial & making history.
>        I would note that his effort (the INTERNET virus) meets each of
>        the criteria discussed so far in this group for being a "hack"
>        of the highest level ... one requiring a considerable degree of
>        expertise ... and one (from personal examination of virus code)
>        which was not readily understood by an experienced hacker.

Well first of all it's a worm not a virus. A virus is a passive partner in
transmission between systems. But that's a nitpick. More importantly, analysis
of the Internet Worm has been widely disseminated, and this analysis shows
that it's not the work of a particularly skilled programmer. One knowledgable
in the details of the systems involved, perhaps, but clumsy and given to very
poor coding practices. If that's a "hack of the highest order" then it's a sad
commentary on this new generation of hackers.

>     o  In any case, I believe the new generation hackers [ be encouraged
	 to engage in productive work, such as updating old PD and freeware
	 versions of INGRES and X...]

Most of these folks are not competant to do this. They've a lot of patience,
but little technical skill. As you said, RTM's buggy little program was a
"hack" of the highest order. What could low-order hackers do?

I can understand their frustration. As little as ten years ago there was a
whole range of interesting programs that had yet to be ported to personal
computers. Today the "market" for PD terminal programs, editors, and the like
is glutted. There's no place for newbies to prove themselves, other than in
destructive activity. How many teenagers even appreciate the value of an X
server when they don't have anywhere to run the clients?

Newer and less popular machines like the Amiga and Atari ST still have room
for creative hacking: look at MIDInet on the ST, or all the PD device drivers
on the Amiga. But older machines like the Mac and the PC are either unable to
support stuff like this, or again the market is glutted. And it's the older
machines that the vast majority of would-be hackers have access to.

> Obligatory hacking report: I am trying to fix a generic security problem
> involving the triggering of data terminal answerback buffers by whatever
> program elects to send a ^W in the course of displaying a message.

You're lucky. There are a lot of terminals out there that permit more extensive
programming. There's one guy who has a file that when catted takes over the
terminal and pretends to delete all the user's files. In an academic
environment this could be deadly.

> FINAL COMMENT:  The INTERNET virus should be treated as a product liability
> question.  In my opinion, DEC and SUN should pay the cost of the cleanup
> effort...

If they indeed ignored bug reports, yes. But that will come out in the trial.
The Internet is deliberately a moderately low-security environment, and it will
be subject to similar pranks in the future so long as people don't have any
resposibility for their actions. I'm not particularly upset with RTM, but then
we weren't affected, but I think that if he gets off lightly it'll open the
floodgates for more disruption: either through pranks or ill-advised security
measures that reduce the usability of the Internet.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/17/90)

In article <22359@usc.edu> blackcat@neuro.usc.edu writes:
   One sorry bugger to date has introduced a virus that managed to
   utilize a little known defect in DEC and SUN system software ...

The defect is present in all such software derived from the same BSD
sources.  DEC and Sun had nothing more to do with it than any other
manufacturer shipping their own versions of that software, except that
the worm's perpetrator had access to DEC and Sun hardware.  Had {s}he
access to other hardware, likely other brands of machines would have
fallen victim as well.

   ...I would note that his effort (the INTERNET virus) meets each of
   the criteria discussed so far in this group for being a "hack" of
   the highest level ...  one requiring a considerable degree of
   expertise ... and one (from personal examination of virus code)
   which was not readily understood by an experienced hacker.

(How do you know that it's "his" effort and not "her" effort?)

From other accounts, the worm was a poor-quality piece of code.  It
was inelegantly written and didn't take advantage of several pieces of
information that were available to it, that would have made it much
more prolific.  It used inefficient algorithms in several spots, and
contained bugs that rendered important parts of its apparently-
intended functions impotent.  The perpetrator showed some rudimentary
awareness of some particular features of the systems it attacked, but
not an astute understanding of computer science nor an overall
knowledge of the systems it attacked.

In other words, yes, a "hack" of the highest level, not a quality
piece of work that I would have been proud to put my name on.  The
attacker should *not* be lauded for any expertise displayed.

   FINAL COMMENT: The INTERNET virus should be treated as a product
   liability question.  In my opinion, DEC and SUN should pay the cost
   of the cleanup effort.  If it were not for latent defects in the
   products distributed by these two manufacturers (which have been
   subsequently repaired by emergency hacks and official patches), the
   relatively innocuous INTERNET virus could not have spread so far so
   rapidly.

As noted above, other manufacturers' products contained the same
holes, and some still might.  No particular ones should bear any
particular liability beyond that of any others, just because their
machines were the ones that happened to be available for the
attacker's development work.

   ...today's vendors are incapable of producing computer products
   without significant security (and for that mater day to day
   operational) defects... we are going to have to find a better way
   to secure systems ...  than the Morris show trial.

Agreed.  Such efforts are underway, most notably the Computer
Emergency Response Team.  Channels are being put in place between
Internet workers and those responsible for host software, or at least
those responsible parties who are interested in being made aware of
the problems with their software.

Obligatory hack story: a late computer graphics production company had
designed and built their own custom fast 32-bit Unibus frame buffers,
with eight bits each for red, green, and blue and eight bits for
"coverage", an antialiasing technique (read some papers from probably
ten years ago by Frank Crow and Charles Csuri).  Some Sun-1
workstations were purchased as artistic workbenches, and needed the
capability to preview images using the same rendering software as was
running on the larger machines.  At the time, the only commercially
available frame buffers that were even vaguely appropriate provided
only eight bits per pixel.

So I bought three video boards (all the poor desktop Sun could hold in
its little Multibus without overheating, and even that was iffy) and
took red from one, green from another, and blue from the third.  The
boards were mapped into Multibus address space, and coverage was
implemented in a big malloc()'d hunk of the Sun's own scarce core.  A
collection of twenty-line macros implemented my emulation of the
system call interface to the Unibus device drivers, and the rendering
software (once realigned for proper byte-ordering non-assumptions)
never knew the difference.  It certainly didn't know that it was
talking to three separate devices plus an in-core buffer.

Once scaled for host CPU speed, my hack compared well with the
performance of the custom logic.  Management was pleased, but the
boards' designer wasn't exactly ecstatic at me :-)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/18/90)

In article <4948@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
   The Internet is deliberately a moderately low-security environment,

I'd go even further: The Internet is deliberately a no-security
environment.  It's a wire.  It provides connectivity, not policy.
Responsibility and authority over individual machines is reserved by
the owners of those machines, as well it should.

Of course, there are policies about what sort of traffic is
appropriate to cause to flow over the network, and there are de-facto
operations policies (don't flood the wire!), but individual machines
are the responsibilities of their owners.

   I'm not particularly upset with RTM,

Nobody should be upset with anybody - because nobody knows who's
guilty!

   ...I think that if he

or she!

   gets off lightly it'll open the floodgates for more disruption:
   either through pranks or ill-advised security measures that reduce
   the usability of the Internet.

Agreed.  The worst possible consequence of the Internet Worm would be
if a bunch of congressmen's wives (or similar unknowledgeable
busybodies) decided to respond to sensationalist press reports by
imposing additional layers of policy on the network itself.  The
single most important attribute of the Internet is universal
availability and connectivity between all the machines that are
connected to it.  When that is compromised, there might as well not be
a network.  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/19/90)

>    ...I think that if he [Robert Morris]
>    gets off lightly it'll open the floodgates for more disruption:
>    either through pranks or ill-advised security measures that reduce
>    the usability of the Internet.

Perhaps if Mr. Morris "gets off lightly" (e.g. doesn't get thrown
into involuntary servitude or enforced confinement) then more people
will have the guts to test Internet security, report problems where
they find them, and fix them in appropriate ways.

On the other hand, if Mr. Morris loses his freedom, a lot of security
problems will go unreported, since who wants to go to jail for telling
a stranger that his system is insecure?  Best to just keep it to yourself
or tell your cracker friends.

If the Internet community doesn't provide itself with "well-advised"
security measures, what choice does it provide to ignorant oversight
agencies but "ill-advised" security measures?  Congress and even DARPA
are not experts at computer security -- we are.  Their jobs are to
clean up our act in their own hamhanded way if we don't clean it up for
ourselves.  But our advice and our actions are too often "security
through obscurity" and "just make it illegal so it will go away".

Mr. Morris's worm program is 95% of the way to an excellent security
testing program -- a watchdog for your network -- that will tell YOU,
the system administrator, about any known holes in your net, long
before a cracker discovers them.  For this he is put on trial and all
copies of the source code are locked away.  Suuuuuure we believe in
computer security and in technical solutions to technical problems.
Don't complain when the bureaucrats make your life miserable, you
brought it on yourself.
--
John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
Just say *yes* to drugs.  Say "no" to undeclared wars on sovereign countries.

blackcat@neuro.usc.edu (01/20/90)

In article <9738@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>On the other hand, if Mr. Morris loses his freedom, a lot of security
>problems will go unreported, since who wants to go to jail for telling
>a stranger that his system is insecure?  Best to just keep it to yourself
>or tell your cracker friends.

BTW ... which employee or contractor is going to be prosecuted under the
same statutes for introducing the software program that exploited a bug
in the AT&T long distance switching system and fooled most switches into
thinking all of their circuits were busy?  This "worm/virus/germ" seems
to have completely unintended effects.  However, it did disrupt a very
large communications network, denying service to millions of customers,
and costing untold millions of dollars in direct and indirect damages.
Certainly no one was "authorized" to cause this disruption.  So, who is
going to be prosecuted, fined, and put in jail for this software fiasco?

Let's find another poor bugger who apparently had the technical knowledge
to cause a potent software disruption is a network that is undeniably more
vital to public health, business interests, and national security than the
measly little problems caused by the INTERNET virus.

bc

p.s.  You can read the GAO report on the INTERNET virus if you need a much
more lengthly reason for calling this code a virus.  Fundamentally, they
decided on this nomenclature because it was already in most common use.

cygnus@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Marc Cygnus) (01/20/90)

(setq hack-talk nil)

In article <9738@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
  >>    ...I think that if he [Robert Morris]
  >>    gets off lightly it'll open the floodgates... <etc. deleted>
  >
  >Perhaps if Mr. Morris "gets off lightly" (e.g. doesn't get thrown
  >into involuntary servitude or enforced confinement) then more people
  >will have the guts to test Internet security, report problems where
  >they find them, and fix them in appropriate ways.
  >
  >On the other hand, if Mr. Morris loses his freedom, a lot of security
  >problems will go unreported, since who wants to go to jail for telling
  >a stranger that his system is insecure?  Best to just keep it to yourself
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hoooOOOOwaitaminute! There's a BIGBIGBIG difference between `telling a
stranger that his system is insecure' (communications with sysadmins,
management, security updates, etc) and `telling...' by *demonstrating*
to the poor stranger by penetrating said stranger's system(s) and driving
things through the roof!

  > <etc. deleted>
  >
  >Mr. Morris's worm program is 95% of the way to an excellent security
			     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah right. except that it was *ahem* `tested' on a system that was NOT
isolated from the intrenet, and OOPS! It Got Out.

  >testing program -- a watchdog for your network -- that will tell YOU,
  >the system administrator, about any known holes in your net, long
  >before a cracker discovers them.  For this he is put on trial and all

yeah right, again. it'll tell YOU, the sysadmin, by tying up completely
valuable resources like networks and cpu time. that's what happened.
i'm not disagreeing that the idea of a clean 'scavenger' programme that
could check for holes in a net is bad, i'm disagreeing that the intrenet
worm was NOT the approach to use (and i imagine it wasn't intended so).

  >copies of the source code are locked away.  Suuuuuure we believe in

not so, john. every single site that got infected got, free of charge,
a complete and operational version of the programme. oh, and people who
*need* to know (sysadmins, etc) about the techniques the worm used can
*get* the information from certain security organisations. it _really_
wasn't anything breathtakingly brilliant. but effective? yes. if you have
access to kernel and utility source code, the only additional info you
need to understand the worm is public (_Tour_of_the_Worm_, for instance,
and also the MIT paper).

  > <etc. deleted>
  >--
  >John Gilmore      {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu      gnu@toad.com
  >Just say *yes* to drugs.  Say "no" to undeclared wars on sovereign countries.

(setq hack-talk t)

i'm taking a break from hacking a device driver for a Tek4129 (on a Sun4/60),
so image data can be directed to the Tek (thru a 38.4kbaud link to a cisco
box) and printed out on an HP colour inkjet (our only form of colour hard-
copy at the moment). ugly, but if it works, hey!

					-marcus-

oh, yeah. i'm also `hacking' :-)
the primary circuit capacitor
for the exact device mentioned
below. |

"Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of anyone in particular."
      `...but do YOU own a   |   ARPA: cygnus@vax1.acs.udel.edu
       homemade 6ft Tesla?'  |   UUCP: {yourpick}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!cygnus

jxxl@huxley (John Locke) (01/20/90)

In article <5527@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> Marc Cygnus writes:

> hoooOOOOwaitaminute! There's a BIGBIGBIG difference...

What is this supposed to be--credible English or an excerpt from
Pee Wee Herman's autobiography?

> yeah right, again. it'll tell YOU, the sysadmin, by tying up completely
> valuable resources like networks and cpu time. that's what happened.

Am I the only sysadm who thought the entertainment from this "worm" more
than compensated for any time lost or inconvenience? I'm amazed (and further
entertained) by the high level of moral priggishness applied to this
phenomenal event. On the one hand, everyone seems to agree that nothing like
this has ever happened before. On the other hand, we have people whining
about losing a couple of days work. Well, partee animals, do me a favor and

> it _really_ wasn't anything breathtakingly brilliant.

Sour grapes. It was a tour de force.