[alt.hackers] why don't more people, er, *manufacturers*, do this?!

hobbit@pyrite.rutgers.edu (*Hobbit*) (02/10/90)

Having just bought a used PC-lookalike, the first thing I did was to install
a write-protect switch in same for the hard disk.  It simply opens up the lead
to pin 6 of the larger ST506 plug, the write-gate.  So there's no fucking way
a Nasty Thing could shit on my hard drive, and I could boot and run evil
virus-containing games and such with impunity.  This machine even comes
with a REAL hard-reset button, so I don't have to be forever powering it
down and up again when it gets wedged.  I cannot *imagine* why manufacturers
of these things don't install these two features and similar ones.

The neat thing is that due to disk buffering, if you go to create a file,
MS-Loss thinks it actually *did* create a file and write it out there.
There's no way it actually senses if the write-gate successfully got to the
drive or not.  Next time you do a directory, however, apparently while it's
computing the free bytes at the end it flushes the buffers, and the "file"
you just created mysteriously disappears.  [Perhaps someone more handy
with MS-Loss than I can enlighten us on how this buffering works.]

_H*

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (02/13/90)

In article <dogshit-0@pyrite.rutgers.edu> hobbit@pyrite.rutgers.edu (*Hobbit*) writes:
<This machine even comes with a REAL hard-reset button, so I don't
>have to be forever powering it down and up again when it gets wedged.
<I cannot *imagine* why manufacturers of these things don't install
>these two features and similar ones.

	Many PC/XT/AT clone motherboards do have a hookup for a reset
switch.  It is usualy a pair of pins (like for a jumper) some where on
the front left of the motherboard.  If the machine is a 'Turbo'
(multi-speed) there may also be pins for a Turbo switch and for a LED
to indicate Turbo mode.

	Why do I know this?  I spent a summer assembling clones.  And
you thought they only did that in the Far East.

->Spike
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb12.171208.29372@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:
>	Many PC/XT/AT clone motherboards do have a hookup for a reset
>switch.  It is usualy a pair of pins (like for a jumper) some where on
>the front left of the motherboard.
Or...you can also do what I did on my old and ancient Zenith...pull the reset
pin of the processor high via a pullup resistor through a switch....nasty,
evil, and warrantee expiring...but it works!

Hackwise...Well, I just wrote a cute routine that runs a script every so often
(user specified time, of course).  Great for preserving things in /tmp (you
know...the usual reasons) when sys-mgrs rm things there regularly...And of
course my routine disconnects itself from the tty, is niced, and handles other
things correctly.....with a new version coming when I get done with other
projects...want a copy?  Written for BSD4.2.

--
			L. Scott Emmons