[alt.hackers] PORTRAIT OF A HACKER

g7ahn@cc.imperial.ac.UK ("K. Krallis") (05/25/90)

 In article <24833@usc.edu> A.J.Annala <annala@neuro.usc.edu>
makes some comments  about the personality of a hacker, especially
the words "Intelligent. Intense. Abstracted" but I am afraid
the comments apply rather to the malicious crackers than to "hackers"
with the original meaning of the word.
 The author of the original article uses the term "hacker" to describe
the creative, if a bit careless, programmer who enjoys spending
most of his free time on a computer.

Costas Krallis G7AHN
Imperial College
London, UK

E-Mail:  Internet, Janet: g7ahn@cc.ic.ac.uk
         UUCP:            {uunet,mcvax,hplabs,ariadne,unido}!ukc!cix!g7ahn

gray@HPLB.HPL.HP.COM (Graham Higgins) (05/25/90)

Indeed, the term "hacker" has come in for a bit of distortion recently, I'd
agree that "cracker" would probably be a good description of the type of
computer user who tries to gain unauthorised access to computer systems.

However, I find it a little strange that all the true hackers known to me
appear to conform remarkably well to the bulk of the personality description
provided by A.J.Annala --- but *not* to the motivational analysis which
followed it.

Obligatory Hacking report: (not mine, but a colleague's)
Implementing a Lisp interpreter on a hand-held calculator.

--

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gray@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gray%hplb.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
U.K.                          	|  gray@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (j. eric townsend) (05/26/90)

PORTRAIT OF A HACKER did not reach this site.  Could someone repost it
or mail it to me?  (Prefer the latter.)

--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

trier@shasta.scl.cwru.edu (Stephen Trier) (05/27/90)

In article <GRAY.90May25172450@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gray@HPLB.HPL.HP.COM (Graham Higgins) writes:
>Indeed, the term "hacker" has come in for a bit of distortion recently, I'd
>agree that "cracker" would probably be a good description of the type of
>computer user who tries to gain unauthorised access to computer systems.

Bravo!  Back in the old days :-), or at least, about ten years ago, "hacker"
was a pretty honorable title to bestow on someone.  Saying that someone was
a hacker meant that he had that slightly bizarre love of computers--The kind
of love for computers that made him or her collect Byte magazines and read
them cover to cover, then write a Forth interpreter for their modified
MEK6800D2 based on that magazine.  I knew someone who did exactly this.

Anyway, I did get a kick out of that "Portrait of a hacker".  It seems to
describe the old-style hacker quite well, except that I think that Greek
cuisine needs to get added to the foods list.

Obligatory hack report:
    If you take a 64K Color Computer 1 or a Color Computer 3 and load the
ROMs into RAM, you can change the values in the drive-enable bitmask table
to enable two drives at once.  Why would anyone want this?  For some reason,
Tandy built the CoCo drives to use the normal side select line as drive 3
select.  Because of this, changing one byte took me from two logical drives
to three, with the third logical drive being side two of drive one.  (From
my upcoming book, Reminiscences of a CoCo Hacker, Volume 1.  :-) )

            <=> Stephen Trier    sct%seldon@skybridge.SCL.CWRU.Edu
                                 {sun,att,decvax}!cwjcc!skybridge!seldon!sct
                                 sct@po.CWRU.Edu