[alt.hackers] Trivia Question

rab@well.sf.ca.us (Bob Bickford) (10/22/90)

In article <748@public.BTR.COM> techie@public.BTR.COM (Bob Vaughan) writes:

>A friend of mine posed an interesting trivia question.
>
>What was the system manager password for the Burroughs 6700
>at the Universty Of The Pacific in 1977?
>
>This password was included in a utility program that the TA's used
>for job control (they weren't allowed to have the system manager
>password, so the program had a line that allowed the utility to
>run as the system manager)
>
>Please reply by email.
>
>Thanks in advance

  I'm the friend.  Here, I'll make this even easier:

  1) The TA's utility was written in the Burroughs - specific variant of
     the ALGOL language called "DCALGOL"; it used the construct

                   REPLACE MYSELF.USERCODE BY "XXXXXXX/YYYYY."

     to change its permissions to the system manager's.  The TA's were
     very interested in the DCALGOL language; I distinctly recall being
     in the computer center with them late one night as they waited
     breathlessly for the compiler to come online so they could try
     out an MCP-modifying program that they'd written.  It worked, as
     I recall, which was rather scary.  (Yes, MCP means Master Control
     Program, as in the movie TRON.  No, I don't know if they were
     thinking of the Burroughs machines when they wrote the movie.)

  2) The name of the utility was "LOOKING-GOOD".  When I obtained that
     usercode/password combination, one of the things I did was to print
     out a source-code listing of same, which I still have.  (I was then
     invited to the Dean's office for a morning chat.... ah, the trials
     and irresponsibilities of youth.)  I realize now, looking at it,
     that it's *horribly* bad code, but in 1977 I didn't know any better.

  3) I was at UOP from September of 1976 through January of 1978; the
     password being queried about was in use in the Spring of 1977.
     They changed it, obviously, after my little adventure.....

  4) I obtained this totally by accident; I was curious as to how the
     TA's utility worked, and printed out the object code.  Before I
     arrived at UOP, that was illegel and would crash the system every
     time; I didn't know that and had crashed the system twice earlier
     in the year by printing the wrong file.  So they "fixed" it; what
     you got was a page full of question-marks, with any quoted strings
     from the source code appearing in cleartext form.  So when I printed
     out the object to LOOKING-GOOD, there were lots of strings lying
     around in it, including one that said  XXXXXXX/YYYYY.  which I
     immediately recognized as an ALGOL usercode/password string.  So
     I tried it...... and was immediately caught (but not before I'd
     made a printout of the program, as mentioned above).  When they
     explained to me what the ramifications of having that knowledge
     were, I got real scared.

     BTW, the LOOKING-GOOD object file had the security attributes
     "CLASSA-OUT" which meant that *anybody* could read it and print it
     out as I had done.  I pointed that fact out to them...... and the
     Dean had a few hard words with the computer center manager.  His
     name was Jerry (no, that won't help you guess the password) but he
     was later replaced by a friend whom I had introduced to the B6700
     that year named Ed.

     Ed helped me late one night to print out a voluminous system
     logging file that also turned out to have lots of sensitive
     security info in it; we left one copy of the printout on Jerry's
     desk the next morning (Ed took the other, I don't think he ever
     did anything with it) along with instructions that *any* user
     could use to print the same thing out with.  We were playful and
     harmless; I gather that a year or so later some guys came along
     that tried to repeat my stunt but with malign intent: they were
     caught, and prosecuted.

     I'm revealing all this now because I've finally stopped using that
     password as my own on any system, and because it makes a rather
     interesting challenge as a trivia question.  A harmless one, too.

--
  Robert Bickford        {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!rab
  rab@well.sf.ca.us