[alt.hackers] Request for Risk Assesment

wcs) (10/28/90)

In article <0VVoR1w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
> Not exactly.  What happens is the file uses ANSI sequences to
> reprogram a key to output a sequence of characters.  If you happen to
> press that key in the right place at the right time, it's possible for
> an infection program to be run.  However, this hardly qualifies as a
> viable method for a virus to propagate, since the user will be
> immediately aware of their infection.

About 8-10 years ago, there was an article in the San Frandisco Comical
about how a bunch of "hackers" at Berkeley or Stanford had broken into
"the UNIX, a computer made by DEC".  Anyway, once you got past the
newspaper's lack of understanding and various paranoid reactions by
the usual suit-wearing people about UNIX being hopelessly insecure
and how much safer proprietary systems like VMS and IBM OS's were :-),
the technique they used was to send the escape sequences to put
Hewlett Packard terminals into loopback mode, followed by whatever
commands you wanted to execute, such as "chmod ugo+rw * ; exit".

Well, I was young and naive and trying to learn about UNIX security
at the time, so I secured an unused account as well as I knew how
and posted to a Bell-Labs-only newsgroup asking if anyone could
break into my file.  The next morning I got a phone call from
someone who told me the magic sentence from the file, and after some
discussion of three or four ways he *could* have broken into my account,
he reminded me that I still didn't know his name, not that I could
necessarily trust a voice on a phone.  It was Bob Morris, Senior,
who was one of our main computer security folks.

A week or so later, I was playing rogue, and this "Are You Ready" banners
across my screen, followed by the HP Drop-DTR escape sequence.
Wasn't Bob, but it was someone from his group.  Actually, when Bob had
broken my file, he HAD goofed - he'd done a chown 666 instead of chmod 666.

			Bill
--
					Thanks; Bill
# Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ