[alt.hackers] There are no special requirements for posting to this group

subbarao@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) (02/05/91)

All I use is just Pnews. What's the big fuss?

			-Kartik

--
internet# find . -name core -exec cat {} \; |& tee /dev/tty*
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (02/06/91)

In article <5946@idunno.Princeton.EDU> subbarao@PHOENIX.PRINCETON.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>All I use is just Pnews. What's the big fuss?
>
>			-Kartik

There is no big fuss... as the FAQ says, it's a trivial kind of thing.
Although there seems to be a big fuss about the auto-approving gateway at
rutgers.

--
David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "My ganglion is stuck in

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (02/11/91)

<All I use is just Pnews.

	The do thingy at rutgers has take all of (the very little)
challenge out of it.

->Spike
--
The World - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24,96,192}00bps

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (02/11/91)

In the referenced message, spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) wrote:
}	The do thingy at rutgers has take all of (the very little)
}challenge out of it.

Yeah.  By the way, in case anyone here missed it, I posted to the news
admin groups about this problem.  I got zero response, except for the
guy who didn't believe I knew what I was talking about and started this
thread.  My message is appended for your perusal.  I'm still interested
in ideas for what to do about Rutgers.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
           "Speak, sweet bird, I know not where thou art..."

- - - - - - - - - -

Date: 5 Feb 91 01:45:11 GMT
From: jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer)
Subject: Re: alt.hackers
Newsgroups: news.sysadmin,news.admin,alt.config

In the referenced message, tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) wrote:
}>	alt-hackers
}They decided this would be cute. The way to post to this group is to
}forge the moderation. There is no moderator. You have to be able to
}figure out how to post a message so the system believes that it is
}approved by a moderator. This is sort of a minimum qualification to call
}yourself a hacker. Stupid idea, if you ask me, but nobody did. :-)

Not "they" decided.  *I* decided.

Yes, it's a fairly stupid test for hackerism.  And for the first few
months it no doubt caused more test messages than it prevented junk
messages.  But now it works quite well, except for the illicit auto-approving
mail to news gateway at Rutgers.

By the way, if anyone has any ideas for what to do about Rutgers, I'd
like to hear them.  I recently discussed the problem with the
postmaster there, and he denied responsibility, in fact denied there
was a problem at all.  I was considering installing an auto-canceller
for anything in alt.hackers coming out of Rutgers, but (a) cancelling
has never worked very well, (b) cancelling works even worse now that
tygra has caused many sites to disable it, and (c) I don't *want* to
cancel Rutgers, I just want them to stop sabotaging the self-moderation.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
  "The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is,
                  'What does a woman want?'" -- Freud