[alt.hackers] Why, I ask, why?

newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) (02/19/91)

Why am I using the rutgers auto-post?  Because I don't know how to forge
a moderater's approval.

Why don't I know how to forge approval?  because I don't give a rat's ass.

Why don't I give a rat's ass?  'cuz I don't consider forging approval to be
a good indication of one's "hackerosity".

I thought hackers were supposed to believe in "power to the programmer", not
anyone who had time to waste figuring out news stuff.  I mean, sure, hack news
all ya' want...  But man!  To restrict a newsgroup to self-proclaimed "hackers"
is really lame.

I'm so sure.  Weeding out the chaff isn't worth the stupidity of this
newsgroup.

--
David L. Newton	    |  Work: (708) 467-1015  | newton@ils.nwu.edu -or-
ILS, Room 135       |  Home: (708) 332-2321  | dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu, but

brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (02/19/91)

In <9102190401.AA23457@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:

[A bunch of whiney stuff about his views of this group]

Go bang some bits, if you can find any that will put up with you.  The
restriction is there just to keep flamers like you out of the group.

ObHack:  I created a group called ksu.lclpost which is a moderated group
         that contains copies of all articles posted from our site.  I
         created it after a few people started forging articles so that
         I could monitor who was posting to what.  I created it by adding
         a line to my sys file which told it to send a copy of any locally
         originating article through a script which then changes the
         headers so that the Newsgroups: line reads ksu.lclpost and the
         then adds an Approved: line and reposts it.

--
"I wrote a program in lisp once...it wrote back to me." -- unknown
Reality is for people who can't deal with drugs.

kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb19.044536.3019@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:

> 	    then adds an *censored*: line and reposts it.

Don't give the whiny guy any hints! :-)

ObHack: I and a friend wrote a boot block demo on the Atari ST, that is, you
only get 480 bytes of disc space. The demo moved a giant OUCH sign according
to a sine wave up/down left/right, mirrored in a lake below. In addition, it
was snowing down the screen, gathering on the ice into drifts. We contemplated
making it auto-decompressing when run, but I couldn't get the decompactor
below 102 bytes, so it would increase overall size.

Regards,

Kjetil T.

Disclaimer: Newbie, and proud(?)

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/20/91)

In article <9102190401.AA23457@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu>, newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:
> Why am I using the rutgers auto-post?  Because I don't know how to forge
> a moderater's approval.

Uh, huh.

> I'm so sure.  Weeding out the chaff isn't worth the stupidity of this
> newsgroup.

Speaking, as you do, from the viewpoint of the chaff.

Obhack: nothing much lately. Fixed a file with illegal characters by
adbing /dev/usr. Solved a VAX connectivity problem by writing a program
that interpreted VT100 escape sequences and used whatever your termcap
was set to (ripped the code out of an old PC term program I wrote).
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'