[alt.hackers] Okey dokey, I give.

newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) (02/20/91)

Okay, fine.  I shall leave this Sanctuary to the Real Hackers, who have called
me a "fucker", "lamer", "lifeless", ad infinitum/ad nauseum.

I was proud to continue calling myself a "hacker" after the media perverted it
into stupidity, would gladly explain the Real Meaning of the word to those who
still _believed_ the media perversion.

I'm not a Real Hacker anymore, I'll have to go back to Gumby Cyberdeck Jockey
I reckon.  So, y'all got what you wanted, congratulations.  'Tis a pity though.

--
David L. Newton	    |  Work: (708) 467-1015  |      newton@ils.nwu.edu
ILS, Room 135       |  Home: (708) 332-2321  |-------------------------------

appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) (02/21/91)

In article <9102201629.AA16505@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:
>I was proud to continue calling myself a "hacker" after the media perverted it
>into stupidity, would gladly explain the Real Meaning of the word to those who
>still _believed_ the media perversion.
>I'm not a Real Hacker anymore, I'll have to go back to Gumby Cyberdeck Jockey

In Random American Magazine, one New York hacker said:
}You know, there are always those computer know-it-alls who say,
}"Oh yeah, I used to be a hacker."  That's crap.  If you're an ex-
}hacker, you were never a hacker to begin with.  It's not something
}that dies.  It's a way of life.  It's a way of thinking...

n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu (Brent Burton) (02/21/91)

In article <APPEL.91Feb20134255@typhoon.ocf.Berkeley.EDU> appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:
>In article <9102201629.AA16505@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> newton@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (David Newton) writes:

   [blah blah blah about ex-hacking...]

>In Random American Magazine, one New York hacker said:
>}You know, there are always those computer know-it-alls who say,
>}"Oh yeah, I used to be a hacker."  That's crap.  If you're an ex-
>}hacker, you were never a hacker to begin with.  It's not something
>}that dies.  It's a way of life.  It's a way of thinking...

Gee, I actually heard some clown say that on the radio about
"being punk."
 } "it's a way of life.  It's a way of getting what YOU want. It's...."

no ObHack today...
             +----------------------+--------------------------+
             | Brent P. Burton      | n138ct@tamuts.tamu.edu   |
             | Texas A&M University | Computer Science/Physics |
             +----------------------+--------------------------+

bharat@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Bharat Mediratta) (02/21/91)

In article <APPEL.91Feb20134255@typhoon.ocf.Berkeley.EDU> appel@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Shannon D. Appel) writes:
>In Random American Magazine, one New York hacker said:
>}You know, there are always those computer know-it-alls who say,
>}"Oh yeah, I used to be a hacker."  That's crap.  If you're an ex-
>}hacker, you were never a hacker to begin with.  It's not something
>}that dies.  It's a way of life.  It's a way of thinking...

How true.  However, a great many of those 'ex-hackers' simply don't want
to admit that they still feel the need to stay up late trying just one
more way to get in...

-Bharat
--
| Bharat Mediratta | bharat@cm.cf.ac.uk     |