[alt.hackers] X

jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) (02/21/91)

Ob. Hack: Learning X from the header files.

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (Bill Sommerfeld) (02/21/91)

In article <JIM.91Feb20132656@fuji.eng.Yale.edu> jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) writes:

   Ob. Hack: Learning X from the header files.

Yeah, I did that, back in the spring and summer of '85 ... of course,
that was X version 2, not X version 11 ..

					- Bill
--
"The chance of mit-eddie relaying       |    Bill Sommerfeld at MIT/Athena
something before that hyperactive IBM   |    sommerfeld@mit.edu

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/23/91)

In article <JIM.91Feb20132656@fuji.eng.Yale.edu>, jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) writes:
> Ob. Hack: Learning X from the header files.

Ob. Hack: X.

(Spelled "kludge")
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'

tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L. Masco) (02/28/91)

> > Ob. Hack: Learning X from the header files.
> Ob. Hack: X.
>
> (Spelled "kludge")

I always thought that that was spelled "unix."
--
Todd Masco  | tm2b@andrew.cmu.edu | "Tax the churches.
CMU Physics | tm2b@andrew.BITNet  |  Tax the businesses owned by the churches."

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (02/28/91)

In article <Ebn3KOK00WB_AAadRk@andrew.cmu.edu>, tm2b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Todd L. Masco) writes:
> > > Ob. Hack: Learning X from the header files.
> > Ob. Hack: X.
> > (Spelled "kludge")
> I always thought that that was spelled "unix."

Nah, that's spelled "SysV" or "4BSD". There was once a small, lean, operating
system called UNIX. But that was then. It's grown a hundred times since 1979,
without becoming a hundred times more useful.

Ob. hack: System V IPC. Ecch.
--

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (03/02/91)

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
| Nah, that's spelled "SysV" or "4BSD". There was once a small, lean,
| operating system called UNIX. But that was then. It's grown a hundred
| times since 1979, without becoming a hundred times more useful.

 Depends on where you look. V7 has developed and flourished inside Bell
Labs, and begot in succession V8, V9, and now V10 (manuals available
through Saunders Colledge Publishing; UNIX RESEARCH SYSTEM TENTH
EDITION Volume I and II, ISBN 0-03-047532-5 and 0-03-047529-5
respectively). Versions of V9 have even been spotted running outside of
Bell Labs, and maybe someday a V10 version will be as well.

| Ob. hack: System V IPC. Ecch.

 There is a scurrilous rumour going around that says the reason there
are three sepperate IPC mechanisms in SysVoid is that three sepperate
politically powerful groups inside AT&T came up with their own IPC
mechanism for System III, and all of them insisted that *their* version
be in System V. I can believe it.

--
		V9: the kernel where you can do
			fgrep <something> */*.[ch]