[alt.hackers] keyboard hackers out there?

pfister_rob@dneast.enet.dec.com (Robb Pfister) (04/02/91)

I've seen advertisements for non-standard keyboards that have like four keys per
hand, and
you use some sort of binary-like sequence to select the keys...you know the
type...

Has anyone a clue on how the keys are assigned, and how you get a full character
set from them?

I'm thinking either a hardware hack, or maybe faking out a normal keyboard into
working that
way by leaving your fingers on the asdf jkl;  keys...

Robb

Pfister_Rob%dneast.dec@decwrl.dec.com

merlyn@digibd.com (Merlyn LeRoy) (04/11/91)

pfister_rob@dneast.enet.dec.com (Robb Pfister) writes:
>I've seen advertisements for non-standard keyboards that have
>like four keys per hand
>Has anyone a clue on how the keys are assigned..

The one I've read about (the WriteHander) is done like this, I think:

the 4 fingers hold down (or don't hold down) buttons for the
lowest 4-bits of ASCII (digits 0-9 come out in binary).  Then the
thumb presses one of 8 buttons for 7-bit ASCII, or one of 4
buttons for 6-bit (old, uppercase only) ASCII.  The finger buttons
are only read when the thumb button is pressed, so you set the fingers
and strobe the data with your thumb, then set up for the next char.

This is from very old organic RAM, so don't blame me if it's wrong...

---
Merlyn LeRoy