[alt.hackers] password ageing && security in general

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (04/29/91)

dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) writes:
> In article <1507@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, jearly@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (
> : Several thoughts:
> : First off, I'm furious at ALL of you who keep using the word "hacker" when
> : mean cracker.  While there have been hackers who cracked systems, they were
> : cracking, not hacking.
>
> Too bad.  The word is being used to mean vandal.  You cannot change
> it as long as company presidents and the media perpetuate it.

On the other hand, they cannot change it so long as we continue to use it
with its proper meaning. Call yourself a hacker. Grin at their shocked faces.
When they ask what sorts of systems you break into, explain to them what a
hacker is.

In fact, it's rather useful to have the word misused by the media; if someone
uses the word "hacker" when he means "cracker", it's a very clear sign that
that person knows little or nothing about computer security and should be
ignored.

mathew
--
If you're a John Foxx fan, please mail me!