[alt.hackers] The word 'hacker'

jon%vector0@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Dazed N. Confused) (05/05/91)

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:

> [doesn't mind use of hacker as cracker]

     I mind, since I like saying 'hacker' and not having to explain
what I mean.  But cracker isn't the right word for a criminal hacker,
since cracker has other uses also (ie, one who breaks copy protection
on software, esp. games).

     I think we need a new word for a g0dlike hacker, then everyone
will be happy.  So what will the lucky word be?

sourceror?     (bad pun, sorry)
wizard?
buddha?
god?
conjuror?
bhikku?

     Thing to note here is, you can choose almost any word and by
common usage, it will *gain* the meaning we want.  I'm also surprised
no one has tried to do this before, since it seems that this is
Something That Needs To Be Done.  There's already some use of the
above words, especially in MUD-like environments, but the usage needs
to be a little more mainstream IMHO.

> P.S (I'm a EE :-) )

     I'm a high school student.  So what?

P.S (I *will be* an EE :-) )

  .----.                                       *->   CONSERVE ENERGY    <-*
 (      )  Jon                                  *->   Kill Yourself    <-*
  ^^::^^          vector0!jon@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
  __;:__     ...PacBell.Com!sactoh0!vector0!jon

brendan@CS.WIDENER.EDU (Brendan Kehoe) (05/05/91)

In <Ro7F24w163w@vector0>, jon%vector0@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US writes:
>subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>
>     I think we need a new word for a g0dlike hacker, then everyone
>will be happy.  So what will the lucky word be?
>
>sourceror?     (bad pun, sorry)
>wizard?
>buddha?
>god?
>conjuror?
>bhikku?

 Stallman? ;-)

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil OKunewick) (05/07/91)

jon%vector0@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Dazed N. Confused) writes:
>subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>
>> [doesn't mind use of hacker as cracker]

   Obviously not a hacker.  Most hackers I know distinguish between
themselves and crackers, though it's kind of fun knowing that people
wrongly think you're one of "them".

>     I mind, since I like saying 'hacker' and not having to explain
>what I mean.  But cracker isn't the right word for a criminal hacker,
>since cracker has other uses also (ie, one who breaks copy protection
>on software, esp. games).

    You lose.  Breaking copy protection and copying stuff is illegal.
However, just about every hacker has tried it at one time or another,
usually as an exercise rather than for personal profit.

>     I think we need a new word for a g0dlike hacker, then everyone
>will be happy.  So what will the lucky word be?

Nope, no new word needed.  "Guru" is already in use.

>> P.S (I'm a EE :-) )

Yeah, it shows too.

ObHack:  (Remember guys?  We're supposed to post a hack here.)

   I turned a bunch of thickwire ethernet tranceivers into thinwire
transceivers just by replacing the vampire connector with a BNC.
True, it's simple; even trivial.  But it saved the department a
couple thousand dollars.

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (05/08/91)

okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil OKunewick) writes:

>>     I mind, since I like saying 'hacker' and not having to explain
>>what I mean.  But cracker isn't the right word for a criminal hacker,
>>since cracker has other uses also (ie, one who breaks copy protection
>>on software, esp. games).

>    You lose.  Breaking copy protection and copying stuff is illegal.
>However, just about every hacker has tried it at one time or another,
>usually as an exercise rather than for personal profit.

Breaking a copy protection is legal, selling the cracked software isn't, and
that is what the whole thing is about: knowledge IS NOT a crime, using it
wrongly IS.

Oh yeah, a hack: A couple of friends and me just built a receiver that picks
up all beeper messages for this entire country. There's a nasty Big Brother
application if one would chose to use it in that way. Maybe I'll post all the
details to this group at some point, but all is available though the CCIR.

--
Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl) is also editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
quote: "We don't care about freedom of the mind, | Postbus 22953    (in DUTCH)

daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dave Huang) (05/08/91)

In article <*s7Gio?&1@cs.psu.edu>, okunewck@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Phil
OKunewick) writes:
>    You lose.  Breaking copy protection and copying stuff is illegal.

Actually, it's not...

David Huang                                 |
Internet: daveh@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu          |     "Help! My ganglion is
UUCP: ...!ut-emx!ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!daveh   |   stuck in some chewing gum!"
America Online: DrWho29                     |

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (05/09/91)

For more info about beeper messages and scanners, old issues of 2600
speak in depth about it.

ob. hack:  I can't think of anything that qualifies (in my mind).
 I hardly think that using thick-wire transievers on a thin-wire
ethernet counts.  I do that sort of thing every day.

| "He divines remedies against injuries;   | "Words are drugs."           |
|  he knows how to turn serious accidents  |     -Antero Alli             |
|  to his own advantage; whatever does not |                              |
|  kill him makes him stronger."           | "Culture is for bacteria."   |
|                   - Friedrich Nietzsche  |     - Christopher Hyatt      |